After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
If we are able to successfully and utterly defeat SOPA/PIPA, could a
similar alliance and campaign defeat software patents? Since it's a less
emotional issue, it may take longer, more educating, and what not.
Imagine what would happen if Google regularly ran ads against software
patents. Mozilla could mention it with a link below the Google search
box on the Firefox home page. Of course other things could be done as
well. Any thoughts?

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
> If we are able to successfully and utterly defeat SOPA/PIPA, could a
> similar alliance and campaign defeat software patents? Since it's a less
> emotional issue, it may take longer, more educating, and what not.
> Imagine what would happen if Google regularly ran ads against software
> patents. Mozilla could mention it with a link below the Google search
> box on the Firefox home page. Of course other things could be done as
> well. Any thoughts?

They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.

With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
legislation.

Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
justice remains to be seen :)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Tarkus-3
On 1/19/2012 2:01 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
> 1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
>> If we are able to successfully and utterly defeat SOPA/PIPA, could a
>> similar alliance and campaign defeat software patents? Since it's a
>> less emotional issue, it may take longer, more educating, and what
>> not. Imagine what would happen if Google regularly ran ads against
>> software patents. Mozilla could mention it with a link below the
>> Google search box on the Firefox home page. Of course other things
>> could be done as well. Any thoughts?
>
> They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
> primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
> getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.
>
> With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
> ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
> legislation.
>
> Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
> justice remains to be seen :)

This was very unique in that SOPA/PIPA threatened the very existence of
the websites that made this protest work so effectively.  On most issues
they'll wisely stay out of the political forum.

On 01/19/2012 04:01 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
> 1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
>> If we are able to successfully and utterly defeat SOPA/PIPA, could a
>> similar alliance and campaign defeat software patents? Since it's a
>> less emotional issue, it may take longer, more educating, and what
>> not. Imagine what would happen if Google regularly ran ads against
>> software patents. Mozilla could mention it with a link below the
>> Google search box on the Firefox home page. Of course other things
>> could be done as well. Any thoughts?
>
> They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
> primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
> getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.
>
> With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
> ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
> legislation.
>
> Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
> justice remains to be seen :)

I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support as
with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names like
Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful. I'm aware
that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will likely drag on for
at least another couple months.

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
1/19/2012 2:24 PM:

> On 01/19/2012 04:01 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
>> 1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
>>> If we are able to successfully and utterly defeat SOPA/PIPA, could a
>>> similar alliance and campaign defeat software patents? Since it's a
>>> less emotional issue, it may take longer, more educating, and what
>>> not. Imagine what would happen if Google regularly ran ads against
>>> software patents. Mozilla could mention it with a link below the
>>> Google search box on the Firefox home page. Of course other things
>>> could be done as well. Any thoughts?
>>
>> They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
>> primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
>> getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.
>>
>> With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
>> ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
>> legislation.
>>
>> Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
>> justice remains to be seen :)
>>
> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support as
> with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names like
> Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful. I'm aware
> that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will likely drag on for
> at least another couple months.

The problem I see is that in the case of SOPA/PIPA is was a simpler
matter of stopping an already crafted set of bills that were to be voted
on; where as, the patent issue would require the much more iffy
proposition of keeping the public's awareness long enough to craft a
bill first. I think the tech industry first need to get a bill crafted
by some likewise-thinking pols and then see a petition like this could
do in order to drm up the support needed for passage.

On 01/19/2012 05:00 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
> 1/19/2012 2:24 PM:
>> On 01/19/2012 04:01 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
>>> 1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
>>>
>>> They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
>>> primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
>>> getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.
>>>
>>> With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
>>> ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
>>> legislation.
>>>
>>> Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
>>> justice remains to be seen :)
>>>
>> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support
>> as with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names
>> like Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful. I'm
>> aware that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will likely
>> drag on for at least another couple months.
>
> The problem I see is that in the case of SOPA/PIPA is was a simpler
> matter of stopping an already crafted set of bills that were to be voted
> on; where as, the patent issue would require the much more iffy
> proposition of keeping the public's awareness long enough to craft a
> bill first. I think the tech industry first need to get a bill crafted
> by some likewise-thinking pols and then see a petition like this could
> do in order to drm up the support needed for passage.

I, for the most part agree. It would be a long slow battle. The goal
would be to slowly wear people down until they start having negative
views toward them. Education first, then you'd see renegade politicians
supporting it like Ron Paul or Rand Paul (libertarians aren't very
patent friendly). From there, it could snowball as other groups take up
the cause. Already, the libertarian CATO Institute has spoken out
against software patents on numerous occasions, but so far only open
source and libertarian groups are talking about it and support needs to
be expanded before anything can happen.

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Ron Hunter
On 1/19/2012 4:24 PM, Michael B. wrote:

> On 01/19/2012 04:01 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
>> 1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
>>> If we are able to successfully and utterly defeat SOPA/PIPA, could a
>>> similar alliance and campaign defeat software patents? Since it's a
>>> less emotional issue, it may take longer, more educating, and what
>>> not. Imagine what would happen if Google regularly ran ads against
>>> software patents. Mozilla could mention it with a link below the
>>> Google search box on the Firefox home page. Of course other things
>>> could be done as well. Any thoughts?
>>
>> They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
>> primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
>> getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.
>>
>> With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
>> ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
>> legislation.
>>
>> Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
>> justice remains to be seen :)
>>

> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support as
> with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names like
> Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful. I'm aware
> that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will likely drag on for
> at least another couple months.

The idea of protecting intellectual property is a good one, but throwing
the baby out with the bath water is NOT the answer.

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

»Q«
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:24:17 -0600
"Michael B." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support
> as with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names
> like Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful.

Google isn't against software patents.  Google is only against the
unfair use of overly abstract software patents against Google.

> I'm aware  that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will
> likely drag on for at least another couple months.

The RIAA and MPAA will keep trying for unacceptable power as long as
they're in existence, IMO.  I think Wednesday's action makes their job
a lot harder from now on though. :)

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

WaltS-3
On 01/20/2012 11:22 AM, »Q« wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:24:17 -0600
> "Michael B." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support
>> as with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names
>> like Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful.
>
> Google isn't against software patents.  Google is only against the
> unfair use of overly abstract software patents against Google.
>
>> I'm aware  that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will
>> likely drag on for at least another couple months.
>
> The RIAA and MPAA will keep trying for unacceptable power as long as
> they're in existence, IMO.  I think Wednesday's action makes their job
> a lot harder from now on though. :)

Vote on PIPA postponed.

http://tinyurl.com/72esvt5

--
Thunderbird Beta

On 01/20/2012 11:27 AM, WLS wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 11:22 AM, »Q« wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:24:17 -0600
>> "Michael B." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support
>>> as with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names
>>> like Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful.
>>
>> Google isn't against software patents.  Google is only against the
>> unfair use of overly abstract software patents against Google.
>>
>>> I'm aware  that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will
>>> likely drag on for at least another couple months.
>>
>> The RIAA and MPAA will keep trying for unacceptable power as long as
>> they're in existence, IMO.  I think Wednesday's action makes their job
>> a lot harder from now on though. :)
>

> Vote on PIPA postponed.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/72esvt5

SOPA withdrawn.

http://tinyurl.com/7nzkho7

--
Thunderbird Beta

On 1/20/2012 10:35 AM, WLS wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 11:27 AM, WLS wrote:
>> >  Vote on PIPA postponed.
>> >
>> >  http://tinyurl.com/72esvt5
>
> SOPA withdrawn.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7nzkho7

So much for these blackouts being a waste of time and just pissing off
the wrong people.  Well done, Wikipedia, Reddit, et al.

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

PhillipJones
WLS wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 11:22 AM, »Q« wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:24:17 -0600
>> "Michael B."<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support
>>> as with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names
>>> like Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful.
>>
>> Google isn't against software patents.  Google is only against the
>> unfair use of overly abstract software patents against Google.
>>
>>> I'm aware  that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will
>>> likely drag on for at least another couple months.
>>
>> The RIAA and MPAA will keep trying for unacceptable power as long as
>> they're in existence, IMO.  I think Wednesday's action makes their job
>> a lot harder from now on though. :)
>

> Vote on PIPA postponed.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/72esvt5

Bulletin From cNet arily today said SOPA dead for now ...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57362783-17/sopa-halted-in-house/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&tag=nl.e703

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Tarkus wrote:

>> SOPA withdrawn.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/7nzkho7
>
> So much for these blackouts being a waste of time and just pissing off
> the wrong people. Well done, Wikipedia, Reddit, et al.

Add Mozilla and Google to the Mix.

On 1/20/2012 1:28 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> Tarkus wrote:

>>> SOPA withdrawn.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/7nzkho7
>>
>> So much for these blackouts being a waste of time and just pissing off
>> the wrong people. Well done, Wikipedia, Reddit, et al.
>
> Add Mozilla and Google to the Mix.

Hence, "et al."

On 1/20/2012 12:55 PM, Tarkus wrote:

>> SOPA withdrawn.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/7nzkho7
>
> So much for these blackouts being a waste of time and just pissing off
> the wrong people. Well done, Wikipedia, Reddit, et al.
I wouldn't bank too much on that being the cause.  It was pretty much
dead anyway.

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

defaria
On 01/20/2012 01:27 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
Bulletin From cNet arily today said SOPA dead for now ...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57362783-17/sopa-halted-in-house/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&tag=nl.e703
I wouldn't count on this as going away forever as long as we have bone headed politicians like this one:

Dear Mr. DeFaria:

I received your letter expressing opposition to the "Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act," commonly known as the "PROTECT IP Act."  I appreciate knowing your views on this matter.

The "PROTECT IP Act" (S. 968) gives both copyright and trademark owners and the U.S. Department of Justice the authority to take action against websites that are "dedicated to infringing activities."  These are websites that have "no significant use other than engaging in, enabling, or facilitating" copyright infringement, the sale of goods with a counterfeit trademark, or the evasion of technological measures designed to protect against copying.

The bill does not violate First Amendment rights to free speech because copyright piracy is not speech.

America's copyright industry is an important economic engine, and I believe copyright owners should be able to prevent their works from being illegally duplicated and stolen.  The protection of intellectual property is particularly vital to California's thriving film, music, and high-technology industries.

I understand you have concerns about the "PROTECT IP Act."  While I voted in favor of this bill when it was before the Senate Judiciary Committee, I have also been working with California high-technology businesses to improve the bill and to address the concerns of high-tech businesses, public interest groups and others.  I recognize the bill needs further changes to prevent it from imposing undue burdens on legitimate businesses and activities, and I will be working to make the improvements, either by working with Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) or through amendments on the Senate floor.

On May 26, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the "PROTECT IP Act" for consideration by the full Senate.  Please know I will keep your concerns and thoughts in mind should the Senate proceed to a vote on this legislation.  As you may be aware, Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) has introduced similar legislation, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (H.R. 3261), in the House of Representatives.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views.  I hope you will continue to keep me informed on issues of importance to you.  If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

          Wishing you a happy 2012.

Sincerely yours,

  Dianne Feinstein
         United States Senator

--
Andrew DeFaria
Half the people you know are below average.

On 1/20/2012 4:53 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 1/20/2012 12:55 PM, Tarkus wrote:

>>> SOPA withdrawn.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/7nzkho7
>>
>> So much for these blackouts being a waste of time and just pissing off
>> the wrong people. Well done, Wikipedia, Reddit, et al.
> I wouldn't bank too much on that being the cause.  It was pretty much
> dead anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure this was just coincidence:

http://i.imgur.com/H1YWm.jpg

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
1/19/2012 3:00 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
> 1/19/2012 2:24 PM:
>> On 01/19/2012 04:01 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Michael B. graced us with on
>>> 1/19/2012 1:31 PM:
>>>
>>> They're not defeated as in, tossed. Both are still alive and their
>>> primary sponsors still hope to modify-to-mollify the public in hopes of
>>> getting them passed in some shape or form latter down the road.
>>>
>>> With that said, I think we have witnessed a flash point in terms of the
>>> ability for the internet to "put every ship to sail" to target specific
>>> legislation.
>>>
>>> Whether that will ultimately be a force for good or recipe for mob
>>> justice remains to be seen :)
>>>
>> I know that battling software patents wouldn't have near the support
>> as with this, but even if it were just a tiny handful of big names
>> like Google, Mozilla, and Wikimedia, it would be very powerful. I'm
>> aware that SOPA/PIPA are far from being defeated. This will likely
>> drag on for at least another couple months.
>
> The problem I see is that in the case of SOPA/PIPA is was a simpler
> matter of stopping an already crafted set of bills that were to be voted
> on; where as, the patent issue would require the much more iffy
> proposition of keeping the public's awareness long enough to craft a
> bill first. I think the tech industry first need to get a bill crafted
> by some likewise-thinking pols and then see a petition like this could
> do in order to drm up the support needed for passage.

REF:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/y-combinator-goes-on-the-offensive-against-hollywood/?src=twrhp

Hollywood, hear them roar!

No? Can you hear them now?

[excerpt quote="
“Such ridiculous, destructive bills should never even pass committee
review,” Mr. Arment wrote. The real problem, he added, is “the MPAA’s
buying power in Congress,” a reference to the Motion Picture Association
of America. “This is a campaign finance problem.”
" /]

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: After defeating SOPA/PIPA, taking the fight to software patents

Cy Burnot
Tarkus has written on 1/21/2012 1:58 PM:

> On 1/20/2012 4:53 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> So much for these blackouts being a waste of time and just pissing off
>>> the wrong people. Well done, Wikipedia, Reddit, et al.
>> I wouldn't bank too much on that being the cause.  It was pretty much
>> dead anyway.
>
> Yeah, I'm sure this was just coincidence:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/H1YWm.jpg

PIPA and SOPA are NOT DEAD!! They have not been killed. The only thing
that happened is that the votes oin them have been postponed
indefinitely -- maybe until we stop paying attention again!

On 1/21/2012 12:03 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:

> Tarkus has written on 1/21/2012 1:58 PM:

>> >  Yeah, I'm sure this was just coincidence:
>> >
>> >  http://i.imgur.com/H1YWm.jpg
> PIPA and SOPA are NOT DEAD!! They have not been killed. The only thing
> that happened is that the votes oin them have been postponed
> indefinitely -- maybe until we stop paying attention again!

That's true.  My only point was that the blackouts and other online
protests most certainly had a very strong effect.  And for good.  I
don't think I heard a single person complain about those sites being
down, because they knew it was for a good cause, which is the opposite
of what some predicted.