Addressbook

The Real Bev
What I'd really like is a way to export the addressbook to a file
containing ***ONLY*** name and address on a single line.  I want to be
able to print this file on a SINGLE piece of paper, fold it up and carry
it in my wallet like I do with my telephone number list, or at least
keep it in a text file in my thumbdrive.

You never can tell when you're going to have to send email to someone
from an alien machine running somebody else's OS/mail program.

Why do men's hearts beat faster, their knees get weak, their throats
become dry and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather
clothing?  Because she smells like a new truck.

Re: Addressbook

Jay Garcia
On 20.09.2006 15:00, The Real Bev wrote:

> What I'd really like is a way to export the addressbook to a file
> containing ***ONLY*** name and address on a single line.  I want to be
> able to print this file on a SINGLE piece of paper, fold it up and carry
> it in my wallet like I do with my telephone number list, or at least
> keep it in a text file in my thumbdrive.
>
> You never can tell when you're going to have to send email to someone
> from an alien machine running somebody else's OS/mail program.

Hmm, I remember exporting to CSV and then loading in Excel. Try that.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Addressbook

The Real Bev
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 20.09.2006 15:00, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> What I'd really like is a way to export the addressbook to a file
>> containing ***ONLY*** name and address on a single line.  I want to be
>> able to print this file on a SINGLE piece of paper, fold it up and carry
>> it in my wallet like I do with my telephone number list, or at least
>> keep it in a text file in my thumbdrive.
>>
>> You never can tell when you're going to have to send email to someone
>> from an alien machine running somebody else's OS/mail program.
>>

> Hmm, I remember exporting to CSV and then loading in Excel. Try that.

That's incredibly ugly, but I'll give it a try.  Open Office, though.
No person of taste and sensibility uses Excel.

Re: Addressbook

The Real Bev
The Real Bev wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> On 20.09.2006 15:00, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> What I'd really like is a way to export the addressbook to a file
>>> containing ***ONLY*** name and address on a single line.  I want to be
>>> able to print this file on a SINGLE piece of paper, fold it up and carry
>>> it in my wallet like I do with my telephone number list, or at least
>>> keep it in a text file in my thumbdrive.
>>>
>>> You never can tell when you're going to have to send email to someone
>>> from an alien machine running somebody else's OS/mail program.
>>
>> Hmm, I remember exporting to CSV and then loading in Excel. Try that.
>
> That's incredibly ugly, but I'll give it a try.  Open Office, though.
> No person of taste and sensibility uses Excel.

I could only export as ldif and OO would only import that as a text
file.  REALLY ugly, since it didn't work.

Re: Addressbook

Jay Garcia
On 20.09.2006 18:09, The Real Bev wrote:

>> On 20.09.2006 15:00, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> What I'd really like is a way to export the addressbook to a file
>>> containing ***ONLY*** name and address on a single line.  I want to be
>>> able to print this file on a SINGLE piece of paper, fold it up and carry
>>> it in my wallet like I do with my telephone number list, or at least
>>> keep it in a text file in my thumbdrive.
>>>
>>> You never can tell when you're going to have to send email to someone
>>> from an alien machine running somebody else's OS/mail program.
>>>

>> Hmm, I remember exporting to CSV and then loading in Excel. Try that.
>
> That's incredibly ugly, but I'll give it a try.  Open Office, though.
> No person of taste and sensibility uses Excel.

If you get paid to program visual basic you do. :-)

On 20.09.2006 18:31, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Hmm, I remember exporting to CSV and then loading in Excel. Try that.
>>
>> That's incredibly ugly, but I'll give it a try.  Open Office, though.
>> No person of taste and sensibility uses Excel.
>
> I could only export as ldif and OO would only import that as a text
> file.  REALLY ugly, since it didn't work.

Sorry, forgot you're using lumux .. I have three export choices, LDIF,
CSV and tab delimited text in the dropdown. LDIF is just a text file,
there must be SOMEthing you can do with it.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Addressbook

Emmanuel E
why dont u use a perl/shell script to format the csv the way you want?

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 20.09.2006 18:31, The Real Bev wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> That's incredibly ugly, but I'll give it a try.  Open Office, though.
>>> No person of taste and sensibility uses Excel.
>>
>> I could only export as ldif and OO would only import that as a text
>> file.  REALLY ugly, since it didn't work.
>
> Sorry, forgot you're using lumux ..

That's interesting.  I thought the Powers That Be wanted to keep stuff
platform-independent.  Yeah, right.

> I have three export choices, LDIF,
> CSV and tab delimited text in the dropdown. LDIF is just a text file,
> there must be SOMEthing you can do with it.

Yeah, but it's really ugly and the useful information is located on
different lines, generally different for each entry depending on what
info I've entered -- mostly just name and email address.  If I were a
programmer I could write something, but I'm not.  I have a couple of
hundred addresses and the idea of editing them by hand each time I want
to print them is unpleasant at best.

So I guess I need to copy the addressbook to my windows machine/TB
profile, export it CSV and edit it in excel before printing it.  Nearly
as unpleasant.

Anybody else here cut their spreadsheet teeth on SuperCalc?

Except for the aquarium screensaver, I never feel GOOD about turning my
windows machine on :-(

Re: Addressbook

The Real Bev
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 20.09.2006 18:09, The Real Bev wrote:

That has nothing to do with taste and sensibility, just earning a
living.  People pick up garbage for money too :-)

Re: Addressbook

The Real Bev
Emmanuel E wrote:

> why dont u use a perl/shell script to format the csv the way you want?

A.  I just wrote everything I know about perl -- its proper spelling.
B.  No CSV option, just LDIF.

On 22.09.2006 17:26, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I could only export as ldif and OO would only import that as a text
>>> file.  REALLY ugly, since it didn't work.
>>
>> Sorry, forgot you're using lumux ..
>
> That's interesting.  I thought the Powers That Be wanted to keep stuff
> platform-independent.  Yeah, right.
>
>> I have three export choices, LDIF,
>> CSV and tab delimited text in the dropdown. LDIF is just a text file,
>> there must be SOMEthing you can do with it.
>
> Yeah, but it's really ugly and the useful information is located on
> different lines, generally different for each entry depending on what
> info I've entered -- mostly just name and email address.  If I were a
> programmer I could write something, but I'm not.  I have a couple of
> hundred addresses and the idea of editing them by hand each time I want
> to print them is unpleasant at best.
>
> So I guess I need to copy the addressbook to my windows machine/TB
> profile, export it CSV and edit it in excel before printing it.  Nearly
> as unpleasant.
>
> Anybody else here cut their spreadsheet teeth on SuperCalc?
>
> Except for the aquarium screensaver, I never feel GOOD about turning my
> windows machine on :-(

In the Windows version => Address Book => File => Print Address Book

Wassamatta, the lumux version doesn't have that feature?

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 22.09.2006 17:26, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> Sorry, forgot you're using lumux ..
>>
>> That's interesting.  I thought the Powers That Be wanted to keep stuff
>> platform-independent.  Yeah, right.
>>
>>> I have three export choices, LDIF,
>>> CSV and tab delimited text in the dropdown. LDIF is just a text file,
>>> there must be SOMEthing you can do with it.
>>
>> Yeah, but it's really ugly and the useful information is located on
>> different lines, generally different for each entry depending on what
>> info I've entered -- mostly just name and email address.  If I were a
>> programmer I could write something, but I'm not.  I have a couple of
>> hundred addresses and the idea of editing them by hand each time I want
>> to print them is unpleasant at best.
>>
>> So I guess I need to copy the addressbook to my windows machine/TB
>> profile, export it CSV and edit it in excel before printing it.  Nearly
>> as unpleasant.
>>
>> Anybody else here cut their spreadsheet teeth on SuperCalc?
>>
>> Except for the aquarium screensaver, I never feel GOOD about turning my
>> windows machine on :-(
>
> In the Windows version => Address Book => File => Print Address Book
>
> Wassamatta, the lumux version doesn't have that feature?

Sure it does.  9 entries per page.  I have 245 entries.  Humongous
amount of waste space.  Each entry:

Black line
Blank space
"Card for Person"
Blank space
"Display Name: Person"
"[hidden email]" (underlined)
Blank space
Black line... lather, rinse, repeat

What a totally dumb way to print an addressbook.  Do they assume
everybody is a total loser and has only a few names in his addressbook
or do they own stock in Crown Zellerbach?

Re: Addressbook

Jay Garcia
On 23.09.2006 17:55, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> That's interesting.  I thought the Powers That Be wanted to keep stuff
>>> platform-independent.  Yeah, right.

>>> Yeah, but it's really ugly and the useful information is located on
>>> different lines, generally different for each entry depending on what
>>> info I've entered -- mostly just name and email address.  If I were a
>>> programmer I could write something, but I'm not.  I have a couple of
>>> hundred addresses and the idea of editing them by hand each time I want
>>> to print them is unpleasant at best.
>>>
>>> So I guess I need to copy the addressbook to my windows machine/TB
>>> profile, export it CSV and edit it in excel before printing it.  Nearly
>>> as unpleasant.
>>>
>>> Anybody else here cut their spreadsheet teeth on SuperCalc?
>>>
>>> Except for the aquarium screensaver, I never feel GOOD about turning my
>>> windows machine on :-(
>>
>> In the Windows version => Address Book => File => Print Address Book
>>
>> Wassamatta, the lumux version doesn't have that feature?
>
> Sure it does.  9 entries per page.  I have 245 entries.  Humongous
> amount of waste space.  Each entry:
>
> Black line
> Blank space
> "Card for Person"
> Blank space
> "Display Name: Person"
> "[hidden email]" (underlined)
> Blank space
> Black line... lather, rinse, repeat
>
> What a totally dumb way to print an addressbook.  Do they assume
> everybody is a total loser and has only a few names in his addressbook
> or do they own stock in Crown Zellerbach?

A long-ago Champion by the name of Patricia Monahan wrote a Java routine
(not javascript) to print the address book in a much better format. I'll
see if I can dig it up somewhere.

hb - if you read this, you got it somewhere?

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 23.09.2006 17:55, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> In the Windows version => Address Book => File => Print Address Book
>>>
>>> Wassamatta, the lumux version doesn't have that feature?
>>
>> Sure it does.  9 entries per page.  I have 245 entries.  Humongous
>> amount of waste space.  Each entry:
>>
>> Black line
>> Blank space
>> "Card for Person"
>> Blank space
>> "Display Name: Person"
>> "[hidden email]" (underlined)
>> Blank space
>> Black line... lather, rinse, repeat
>>
>> What a totally dumb way to print an addressbook.  Do they assume
>> everybody is a total loser and has only a few names in his addressbook
>> or do they own stock in Crown Zellerbach?
>
> A long-ago Champion by the name of Patricia Monahan wrote a Java routine
> (not javascript) to print the address book in a much better format. I'll
> see if I can dig it up somewhere.

Nifty, thanks!

> hb - if you read this, you got it somewhere?

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"We're from the Government.  We're here to help."

Re: Addressbook

Jay Garcia
On 23.09.2006 23:48, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Sure it does.  9 entries per page.  I have 245 entries.  Humongous
>>> amount of waste space.  Each entry:
>>>
>>> Black line
>>> Blank space
>>> "Card for Person"
>>> Blank space
>>> "Display Name: Person"
>>> "[hidden email]" (underlined)
>>> Blank space
>>> Black line... lather, rinse, repeat
>>>
>>> What a totally dumb way to print an addressbook.  Do they assume
>>> everybody is a total loser and has only a few names in his addressbook
>>> or do they own stock in Crown Zellerbach?
>>
>> A long-ago Champion by the name of Patricia Monahan wrote a Java routine
>> (not javascript) to print the address book in a much better format. I'll
>> see if I can dig it up somewhere.
>
> Nifty, thanks!
>
>> hb - if you read this, you got it somewhere?

Probably talking 8 to 10 years ago, hang in there.