Address Book Groups

Kirk Madera
Thunderbird works wonderfully if you create multiple address books. You
can set message filters to sort your mail based on who's in what address
book.

My question is why are address books used rather than simple groups? Is
there a way to make groups like Friends, Work, etc. and add filters to
sort their respective mail? I have thunderbird set up to work like this
using address books, but I really think it would make more sense to use
groups under one address book.

Another point in changing this - I currently would have to export
multiple address books if I wanted to transfer this to another computer.
  I know I can just copy my whole profile over, but that's besides the
point.

Is there currently an extensions that provides for groups?

Re: Address Book Groups

Moz Champion (Dan)
Kirk Madera wrote:

> Thunderbird works wonderfully if you create multiple address books. You
> can set message filters to sort your mail based on who's in what address
> book.
>
> My question is why are address books used rather than simple groups? Is
> there a way to make groups like Friends, Work, etc. and add filters to
> sort their respective mail? I have thunderbird set up to work like this
> using address books, but I really think it would make more sense to use
> groups under one address book.
>
> Another point in changing this - I currently would have to export
> multiple address books if I wanted to transfer this to another computer.
>  I know I can just copy my whole profile over, but that's besides the
> point.
>
> Is there currently an extensions that provides for groups?

You already have this in all your address books. Its called Lists

What you want is already there.

Re: Address Book Groups

Neil-4
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> You already have this in all your address books. Its called Lists
>
> What you want is already there.

The OP's point is that you can't filter on lists.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: Address Book Groups

Mumia W..-3
On 11/18/2006 09:05 PM, Kirk Madera wrote:
> Thunderbird works wonderfully if you create multiple address books. You
> can set message filters to sort your mail based on who's in what address
> book.

How do you do this? My Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 can filter on a variety of
headers, but there is no option to filter based upon address books. You
are using Mnenhy. Is that an option that Mnenhy adds?

> My question is why are address books used rather than simple groups? Is
> there a way to make groups like Friends, Work, etc. and add filters to
> sort their respective mail? I have thunderbird set up to work like this
> using address books, but I really think it would make more sense to use
> groups under one address book.

Within an address book, you can create lists.

> Another point in changing this - I currently would have to export
> multiple address books if I wanted to transfer this to another computer.
>  I know I can just copy my whole profile over, but that's besides the
> point.
>
> Is there currently an extensions that provides for groups?

I wouldn't know.

Re: Address Book Groups

Kirk Madera
Neil wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> You already have this in all your address books. Its called Lists
>>
>> What you want is already there.
>
> The OP's point is that you can't filter on lists.

I guess I just always viewed lists as in mailing lists. Because they
don't offer much more functionality. If you could filter your incoming
mail with lists in the same manner you can with address books, they
would be much more useful. Try it out. Make 2 or 3 address books with a
few contacts and add a message filter to file incoming mail based upon
them. It works wonderfully. But it means I have multiple address books,
which is pointless. It also means I can't filter all junk mail with a
message filter unless I add every contact to my personal/collected
address book. (You can only filter based on one address book per email
account).

Re: Address Book Groups

r19h72
Kirk Madera wrote:
> My question is why are address books used rather than simple groups? Is
> there a way to make groups like Friends, Work, etc. and add filters to
> sort their respective mail? I have thunderbird set up to work like this
> using address books, but I really think it would make more sense to use
> groups under one address book.

I'm looking for something like this. But I don't want to set up groups,
I simply want to choose how the contacts should be grouped - e.g. based
on the Company Info, or the town, the country.
That would help a lot, especially if you have lots of contacts with
belong together in any way.

Re: Address Book Groups

"Andrés M."
r19h72 wrote:

> Kirk Madera wrote:
>> My question is why are address books used rather than simple groups?
>> Is there a way to make groups like Friends, Work, etc. and add filters
>> to sort their respective mail? I have thunderbird set up to work like
>> this using address books, but I really think it would make more sense
>> to use groups under one address book.
>
> I'm looking for something like this. But I don't want to set up groups,
> I simply want to choose how the contacts should be grouped - e.g. based
> on the Company Info, or the town, the country.
> That would help a lot, especially if you have lots of contacts with
> belong together in any way.

If you click on top of each column on the title section, the contacts
will be sorted by that column. This way you can have them all sorted by
location for example, making it easier for you to find them.

Re: Address Book Groups

Ivo Marinic

--
ĐĎࡱá