Add-ons "unverified..."

Wolf K.
Several of my fave add-ons "could not be verified..."

Bah!

I want 'em back. I don't give a rat's ass for warnings about security
problems with unverified add-ons.

Either add in the most popular add-on functionalities, or let us take
the risks with whatever add-ons we want. We're grown ups.

Really!

Best wishes.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Hartdonor

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-failing-install-firefox

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Wolf K.
On 2019-05-04 14:00, Hartdonor wrote:

> On Sat, 4 May 2019 13:59:22 -0400, in mozilla.general, Wolf K wrote:
>
>> Several of my fave add-ons "could not be verified..."
>>
>> Bah!
>>
>> I want 'em back. I don't give a rat's ass for warnings about security
>> problems with unverified add-ons.
>>
>> Either add in the most popular add-on functionalities, or let us take
>> the risks with whatever add-ons we want. We're grown ups.
>>
>> Really!
>>
>> Best wishes.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-failing-install-firefox

"Studies" is not installed/enabled on my version of Firefox. I stopped
updating FF after the last one messed with my preferred screen layout. I
installed the prior version, which was more customisable. Unfortunately,
this version accepted the silent update that disabled my extensions.

Bah! Double bah!

[Draft of blunt remarks about moz designers/developers' mindset snipped.
I may not be as nice next time, though.]

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
You are who you intend to be. (Kurt Vonnegut)

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Mozilla - General mailing list
Wolf K wrote:

> On 2019-05-04 14:00, Hartdonor wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 May 2019 13:59:22 -0400, in mozilla.general, Wolf K wrote:
>>
>>> Several of my fave add-ons "could not be verified..."
>>>
>>> Bah!
>>>
>>> I want 'em back. I don't give a rat's ass for warnings about security
>>> problems with unverified add-ons.
>>>
>>> Either add in the most popular add-on functionalities, or let us take
>>> the risks with whatever add-ons we want. We're grown ups.
>>>
>>> Really!
>>>
>>> Best wishes.
>>

>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-failing-install-firefox
>>

> "Studies" is not installed/enabled on my version of Firefox. I stopped
> updating FF after the last one messed with my preferred screen layout. I
> installed the prior version, which was more customisable. Unfortunately,
> this version accepted the silent update that disabled my extensions.
>
> Bah! Double bah!
>
> [Draft of blunt remarks about moz designers/developers' mindset snipped.
> I may not be as nice next time, though.]

Speaking of Bah!

  Yesterday I did a TeamViewer to my sister's computer to fix a Eudora
problem. I had no sooner finished when out the blue, FF ESR 52.9 decided
to check out it's add-ons, even though it is set to never update! It
then flashed a message that it could not find certificates ( or
something like that) and had disabled some add-ons. When I looked, it
had disabled every add-on except Tab Mix Plus. Remembering what someone
had posted yesterday about setting "xpinstall...." settings in
about:config to false (which I had done on my machine earlier), I did
the same on hers. When I restarted FF, all her add-ons were back and active.

I'll gladly forsake a little overblown "security" for actully being able
to use my computer!!

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 5/5/2019
9:13 AM:

> Speaking of Bah!
>
>  Yesterday I did a TeamViewer to my sister's computer to fix a Eudora
> problem. I had no sooner finished when out the blue, FF ESR 52.9 decided
> to check out it's add-ons, even though it is set to never update! It
> then flashed a message that it could not find certificates ( or
> something like that) and had disabled some add-ons. When I looked, it
> had disabled every add-on except Tab Mix Plus. Remembering what someone
> had posted yesterday about setting "xpinstall...." settings in
> about:config to false (which I had done on my machine earlier), I did
> the same on hers. When I restarted FF, all her add-ons were back and
> active.

Changing xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config from true to
false worked well for my Fx52.9 re-enabled my disabled Ghostery, as well.

> I'll gladly forsake a little overblown "security" for actully being able
> to use my computer!!

Since the 52.x line is legacied, I doubt any security or any other
updates will be coming along anyway, except for an errant cert "fix" or
so :-) So, as long as I don't install any other add-ons, I expect I'm as
good as I'm going to get with that release version.

--
Sailfish

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Sjouke Burry
On 05.05.19 18:13, jetjock wrote:

> Wolf K wrote:

>>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-failing-install-firefox
>>>

>> "Studies" is not installed/enabled on my version of Firefox. I stopped
>> updating FF after the last one messed with my preferred screen layout. I
>> installed the prior version, which was more customisable. Unfortunately,
>> this version accepted the silent update that disabled my extensions.
>>
>> Bah! Double bah!
>>
>> [Draft of blunt remarks about moz designers/developers' mindset snipped.
>> I may not be as nice next time, though.]
>>
> Speaking of Bah!
>
>    Yesterday I did a TeamViewer to my sister's computer to fix a Eudora
> problem. I had no sooner finished when out the blue, FF ESR 52.9 decided
> to check out it's add-ons, even though it is set to never update! It
> then flashed a message that it could not find certificates ( or
> something like that) and had disabled some add-ons. When I looked, it
> had disabled every add-on except Tab Mix Plus. Remembering what someone
> had posted yesterday about setting "xpinstall...." settings in
> about:config to false (which I had done on my machine earlier), I did
> the same on hers. When I restarted FF, all her add-ons were back and active.
>
> I'll gladly forsake a little overblown "security" for actully being able
> to use my computer!!

Thanks. That about:config worked for me.(version 45.9.0ESR on XP)

Was this an underhanded trick to force people to the newest version?
Because that wont work in XP.

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Jim Fisher
On 4 May 2019 at 14:53, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2019-05-04 14:00, Hartdonor wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 May 2019 13:59:22 -0400, in mozilla.general, Wolf K wrote:
> >
> >> Several of my fave add-ons "could not be verified..."
> >>
> >> Bah!
> >>
> >> I want 'em back. I don't give a rat's ass for warnings about security
> >> problems with unverified add-ons.
> >>
> >> Either add in the most popular add-on functionalities, or let us take
> >> the risks with whatever add-ons we want. We're grown ups.
> >>
> >> Really!
> >>
> >> Best wishes.
> >
> > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-failing-install-firefox
> >

> "Studies" is not installed/enabled on my version of Firefox. I stopped
> updating FF after the last one messed with my preferred screen layout. I
> installed the prior version, which was more customisable. Unfortunately,
> this version accepted the silent update that disabled my extensions.
>
> Bah! Double bah!
>
> [Draft of blunt remarks about moz designers/developers' mindset snipped.
> I may not be as nice next time, though.]
>
> --
> Wolf K

I found yesterday they had even done it to my old 52.9 ESR which they
supposedly stopped updating long ago, but I corrected it by switching off the
check in about:config and then re-enabling them, so they now work again.

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Don Spam's Reckless Son
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 5/5/2019
> 9:13 AM:
>
>> Speaking of Bah!
>>
>>  Yesterday I did a TeamViewer to my sister's computer to fix a Eudora
>> problem. I had no sooner finished when out the blue, FF ESR 52.9
>> decided to check out it's add-ons, even though it is set to never
>> update! It then flashed a message that it could not find certificates
>> ( or something like that) and had disabled some add-ons. When I
>> looked, it had disabled every add-on except Tab Mix Plus. Remembering
>> what someone had posted yesterday about setting "xpinstall...."
>> settings in about:config to false (which I had done on my machine
>> earlier), I did the same on hers. When I restarted FF, all her add-ons
>> were back and active.
>>
> Changing xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config from true to
> false worked well for my Fx52.9 re-enabled my disabled Ghostery, as well.
>
>> I'll gladly forsake a little overblown "security" for actully being
>> able to use my computer!!
>>
> Since the 52.x line is legacied, I doubt any security or any other
> updates will be coming along anyway, except for an errant cert "fix" or
> so :-) So, as long as I don't install any other add-ons, I expect I'm as
> good as I'm going to get with that release version.

The certificate problem was caused by a certificate expiring, not by any
update to Firefox itself - although obviously a previous update to FF
imposed that requirement in the first place.
They are releasing updates to fix this mess: One on Saturday (fixed it
for some people), one on Sunday (fixed it for some more, including ESR
and Android).  More is still to come.
The product manager for add-ons said "In particular, please do not
delete and/or reinstall any add-ons as an attempt to fix the issue".

btw, the requirement was introduced around 4 years ago.

A final point: Windows XP is no longer supported by Firefox and my guess
is that add-ons there are currently pretty much irretrievably broken.
The FF people should really make an exception for this bug but I'm not
sure they will be that user-friendly.
Seamonkey does *not* suffer from this problem.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Don Spam's Reckless Son
Thread
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/
monitors this problem and seems to be receiving updates.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Don Spam's Reckless Son graced us
with on 5/6/2019 3:55 AM:
> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on
>> 5/5/2019 9:13 AM:

>> Since the 52.x line is legacied, I doubt any security or any other
>> updates will be coming along anyway, except for an errant cert "fix"
>> or so :-) So, as long as I don't install any other add-ons, I expect
>> I'm as good as I'm going to get with that release version.
>
> The certificate problem was caused by a certificate expiring, not by any
> update to Firefox itself - although obviously a previous update to FF
> imposed that requirement in the first place.
> They are releasing updates to fix this mess: One on Saturday (fixed it
> for some people), one on Sunday (fixed it for some more, including ESR
> and Android).  More is still to come.
> The product manager for add-ons said "In particular, please do not
> delete and/or reinstall any add-ons as an attempt to fix the issue".

Yes, that is my understanding, as well. My 'errant cert "fix"' comment
should have been encapsulated in [sarcasm] tag.

--
Sailfish

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

clay-14
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Don Spam's Reckless Son graced us
> with on 5/6/2019 3:55 AM:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on
>>> 5/5/2019 9:13 AM:
>
>>> Since the 52.x line is legacied, I doubt any security or any other
>>> updates will be coming along anyway, except for an errant cert "fix"
>>> or so :-) So, as long as I don't install any other add-ons, I expect
>>> I'm as good as I'm going to get with that release version.
>>
>> The certificate problem was caused by a certificate expiring, not by any
>> update to Firefox itself - although obviously a previous update to FF
>> imposed that requirement in the first place.
>> They are releasing updates to fix this mess: One on Saturday (fixed it
>> for some people), one on Sunday (fixed it for some more, including ESR
>> and Android).  More is still to come.
>> The product manager for add-ons said "In particular, please do not
>> delete and/or reinstall any add-ons as an attempt to fix the issue".
>>
> Yes, that is my understanding, as well. My 'errant cert "fix"' comment
> should have been encapsulated in [sarcasm] tag.

Now I'm confused. Are your add-ons back to life on v52 ESR or not,
because mt 52.9.0 is still jacked after trying the xpinstall.bla FALSE
and [hidden email]...

fscking thing even teased me by showing "Classic Theme Restorer will be
enabled after restart" then shuffled it off to disabledland after the
restart.

All my browsers at home are jacked.

I foolishly* opened my work browser today because Moz said the problem
had been resolved.
Surprise, surprise. it's still broke.

(*without first backing up the profile, doh...)

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Hartdonor
On Mon, 06 May 2019 12:36:31 -0700, in mozilla.general, clay wrote:

>Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Don Spam's Reckless Son graced us
>> with on 5/6/2019 3:55 AM:

>>> The certificate problem was caused by a certificate expiring, not by any
>>> update to Firefox itself - although obviously a previous update to FF
>>> imposed that requirement in the first place.
>>> They are releasing updates to fix this mess: One on Saturday (fixed it
>>> for some people), one on Sunday (fixed it for some more, including ESR
>>> and Android).  More is still to come.
>>> The product manager for add-ons said "In particular, please do not
>>> delete and/or reinstall any add-ons as an attempt to fix the issue".
>>>
>> Yes, that is my understanding, as well. My 'errant cert "fix"' comment
>> should have been encapsulated in [sarcasm] tag.
>>

>52.9.0 is still jacked

You may need to update to a version that is still supported. I have a bad
feeling that everyone who stayed on legacy versions (after add-on signing
was implemented) may have their add-ons hosed permanently.

Hartdonor wrote:
> On Mon, 06 May 2019 12:36:31 -0700, in mozilla.general, clay wrote:

>>52.9.0 is still jacked
>
> You may need to update to a version that is still supported. I have a bad
> feeling that everyone who stayed on legacy versions (after add-on signing
> was implemented) may have their add-ons hosed permanently.

Yeah, I know.
The bastards at Mozilla win again.

Bring back Sillydog!

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what clay graced us with on 5/6/2019
12:36 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Don Spam's Reckless Son graced us
>> with on 5/6/2019 3:55 AM:

>>> The certificate problem was caused by a certificate expiring, not by
>>> any update to Firefox itself - although obviously a previous update
>>> to FF imposed that requirement in the first place.
>>> They are releasing updates to fix this mess: One on Saturday (fixed
>>> it for some people), one on Sunday (fixed it for some more, including
>>> ESR and Android).  More is still to come.
>>> The product manager for add-ons said "In particular, please do not
>>> delete and/or reinstall any add-ons as an attempt to fix the issue".
>>>
>> Yes, that is my understanding, as well. My 'errant cert "fix"' comment
>> should have been encapsulated in [sarcasm] tag.
>>

> Now I'm confused. Are your add-ons back to life on v52 ESR or not,
> because mt 52.9.0 is still jacked after trying the xpinstall.bla FALSE
> and [hidden email]...

I had few add-ons on my Fx52.9 and Ghostery was the only one that had
been disabled. After setting the pref to'false' and restarting Fx,
Ghostery was re-enabled.

> fscking thing even teased me by showing "Classic Theme Restorer will be
> enabled after restart" then shuffled it off to disabledland after the
> restart.
>
> All my browsers at home are jacked.
>
> I foolishly* opened my work browser today because Moz said the problem
> had been resolved.
> Surprise, surprise. it's still broke.
>
> (*without first backing up the profile, doh...)

I hope you find a solution to getting yours back, I've never quite
recovered from losing a bunch after XPCOM/XUL was desupported after Fx28.

--
Sailfish

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Don Spam's Reckless Son
clay wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Don Spam's Reckless Son graced us
>> with on 5/6/2019 3:55 AM:

>>> The certificate problem was caused by a certificate expiring, not by
>>> any update to Firefox itself - although obviously a previous update
>>> to FF imposed that requirement in the first place.
>>> They are releasing updates to fix this mess: One on Saturday (fixed
>>> it for some people), one on Sunday (fixed it for some more, including
>>> ESR and Android).  More is still to come.
>>> The product manager for add-ons said "In particular, please do not
>>> delete and/or reinstall any add-ons as an attempt to fix the issue".
>>>
>> Yes, that is my understanding, as well. My 'errant cert "fix"' comment
>> should have been encapsulated in [sarcasm] tag.
>>

> Now I'm confused. Are your add-ons back to life on v52 ESR or not,
> because mt 52.9.0 is still jacked after trying the xpinstall.bla FALSE
> and [hidden email]...
>
> fscking thing even teased me by showing "Classic Theme Restorer will be
> enabled after restart" then shuffled it off to disabledland after the
> restart.
>
> All my browsers at home are jacked.
>
> I foolishly* opened my work browser today because Moz said the problem
> had been resolved.
> Surprise, surprise. it's still broke.
>
> (*without first backing up the profile, doh...)

Updates have been released which should fix the problem, that
specifically includes ESR and Android.  I posted twice - 6 minutes apart
- yesterday and the second posting links to an information page on how
to deal with this problem.
If there is an update available, apply it.  You may have to take further
action.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've never quite recovered from losing a bunch after XPCOM/XUL was
> desupported after Fx28.

Same.  I keep a bunch of them installed and occasionally click the
'Find a Replacement' links on the 'Unsupported' tab of the extensions
manager.  Sometimes I'm taken to an extension page on AMO which is
definitely not any kind of replacement for the old extension;  usually
I'm just taken to the 'Featured Add-ons' section of AMO.

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

PietB-2
clay wrote:
> Now I'm confused. Are your add-ons back to life on v52 ESR or not,
> because mt 52.9.0 is still jacked after trying the xpinstall.bla FALSE
> and [hidden email]...

All add-ons in my 52.9.0 ESR (Win 8.1 & Win 10), including CTR, were
resuscitated by only setting xpinstall.... to false and restarting FF.
The only remnant of the disaster is that in about:addons some add-ons
now have a line warning to be careful. I can live with that. ;-)

-p

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

PietB-2
Hartdonor wrote:
> You may need to update to a version that is still supported. I have a bad
> feeling that everyone who stayed on legacy versions (after add-on signing
> was implemented) may have their add-ons hosed permanently.

My experience contradicts your bad feeling. Besides, I prefer PaleMoon.

-p

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Hartdonor
On Tue, 7 May 2019 17:34:20 +0200, in mozilla.general, PietB wrote:

>Hartdonor wrote:
>> You may need to update to a version that is still supported. I have a bad
>> feeling that everyone who stayed on legacy versions (after add-on signing
>> was implemented) may have their add-ons hosed permanently.
>
>My experience contradicts your bad feeling. Besides, I prefer PaleMoon.

You're on an earlier version of Firefox, after extensions signing began,
and your extensions are fine?

Which version?

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.

Re: Add-ons "unverified..."

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 5/7/2019 7:40 AM:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've never quite recovered from losing a bunch after XPCOM/XUL was
>> desupported after Fx28.
>
> Same.  I keep a bunch of them installed and occasionally click the
> 'Find a Replacement' links on the 'Unsupported' tab of the extensions
> manager.  Sometimes I'm taken to an extension page on AMO which is
> definitely not any kind of replacement for the old extension;  usually
> I'm just taken to the 'Featured Add-ons' section of AMO.

I still have my Fx 28.x installed and bring it up occasionally just so I
never forget how useful (and multi-cultured with themes) it was. It used
to be a canvas, allowing enthusiasts to vent their creative impulses
with awesome extensions and add-ons. That's something that deserves
remembering, imo.

--
Sailfish