Acrobat reader open out side browser

Chris W-4
I recently reinstalled my OS (Win2k) and of course after installing
Acrobat Reader, all pdf files open inside the browser.  I hate this
behavior.  The only other thing I have been able to get it to do is ask
me to save the pdf file.  I would like the option to save the file or to
open the file in Acrobat reader stand alone, NOT as a browser plug in.
Can someone tell me how to do that?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

Re: Acrobat reader open out side browser

Michael Gordon-2
On 6/22/2006 11:48 AM Chris W created this reply
> I recently reinstalled my OS (Win2k) and of course after installing
> Acrobat Reader, all pdf files open inside the browser.  I hate this
> behavior.  The only other thing I have been able to get it to do is
> ask me to save the pdf file.  I would like the option to save the file
> or to open the file in Acrobat reader stand alone, NOT as a browser
> plug in. Can someone tell me how to do that?

Chris,

In Acrobat Reader go to Edit/Preferences/Internet and remove the check
in the box for "View in Browser".  Close Acrobat Reader, open your
browser and select a .pdf file from the web, Acrobat should open in as a
separate application outside of your browser.

You can open a .pdf file by simply clicking on the filename and Acrobat
will open the file from your HD.

Michael

--
Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...

A Proud User of SeaMonkey The Suite

Michael Gordon wrote:

> On 6/22/2006 11:48 AM Chris W created this reply
>
>> I recently reinstalled my OS (Win2k) and of course after installing
>> Acrobat Reader, all pdf files open inside the browser.  I hate this
>> behavior.  The only other thing I have been able to get it to do is
>> ask me to save the pdf file.  I would like the option to save the file
>> or to open the file in Acrobat reader stand alone, NOT as a browser
>> plug in. Can someone tell me how to do that?
>>

> Chris,
>
> In Acrobat Reader go to Edit/Preferences/Internet and remove the check
> in the box for "View in Browser".  Close Acrobat Reader, open your
> browser and select a .pdf file from the web, Acrobat should open in as a
> separate application outside of your browser.
>
> You can open a .pdf file by simply clicking on the filename and Acrobat
> will open the file from your HD.

It's still not giving me the option to save or open like I had it
before.  With out the option to save the file it is very difficult to
save some pdf files.  If you try and view spec sheets from this web site...

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*LM3916*&terms=LM3916&Ntt=*LM3916*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true

The Data sheet link is a java script so you can't right click to save
the file.  I can't find any way for it to ask me if I want to save or open.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

Re: Acrobat reader open out side browser

Paul B. Gallagher
Chris W wrote:

> Michael Gordon wrote:
>
>> On 6/22/2006 11:48 AM Chris W created this reply
>>
>>> I recently reinstalled my OS (Win2k) and of course after installing
>>> Acrobat Reader, all pdf files open inside the browser.  I hate this
>>> behavior.  The only other thing I have been able to get it to do is
>>> ask me to save the pdf file.  I would like the option to save the
>>> file or to open the file in Acrobat reader stand alone, NOT as a
>>> browser plug in. Can someone tell me how to do that?
>>>

>> Chris,
>>
>> In Acrobat Reader go to Edit/Preferences/Internet and remove the check
>> in the box for "View in Browser".  Close Acrobat Reader, open your
>> browser and select a .pdf file from the web, Acrobat should open in as
>> a separate application outside of your browser.
>>
>> You can open a .pdf file by simply clicking on the filename and
>> Acrobat will open the file from your HD.
>>

> It's still not giving me the option to save or open like I had it
> before.  With out the option to save the file it is very difficult to
> save some pdf files.  If you try and view spec sheets from this web site...
>
> http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*LM3916*&terms=LM3916&Ntt=*LM3916*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true
>

> The Data sheet link is a java script so you can't right click to save
> the file.  I can't find any way for it to ask me if I want to save or open.

Acrobat reader has its own save button at the upper left (first button
on the toolbar). The icon looks vaguely like the Honda "H," with the
crossbar a bit too high, but I think it's supposed to look like a floppy...

Paul B. Gallagher

Re: Acrobat reader open out side browser

Michael Gordon-2
On 6/22/2006 7:23 PM Chris W created this reply

> Michael Gordon wrote:
>> On 6/22/2006 11:48 AM Chris W created this reply
>>
>>> I recently reinstalled my OS (Win2k) and of course after installing
>>> Acrobat Reader, all pdf files open inside the browser.  I hate this
>>> behavior.  The only other thing I have been able to get it to do is
>>> ask me to save the pdf file.  I would like the option to save the
>>> file or to open the file in Acrobat reader stand alone, NOT as a
>>> browser plug in. Can someone tell me how to do that?
>>>

>> Chris,
>>
>> In Acrobat Reader go to Edit/Preferences/Internet and remove the
>> check in the box for "View in Browser".  Close Acrobat Reader, open
>> your browser and select a .pdf file from the web, Acrobat should open
>> in as a separate application outside of your browser.
>>
>> You can open a .pdf file by simply clicking on the filename and
>> Acrobat will open the file from your HD.
>>

> It's still not giving me the option to save or open like I had it
> before.  With out the option to save the file it is very difficult to
> save some pdf files.  If you try and view spec sheets from this web
> site...
>
> http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*LM3916*&terms=LM3916&Ntt=*LM3916*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true
>

> The Data sheet link is a java script so you can't right click to save
> the file.  I can't find any way for it to ask me if I want to save or
> open.

As in the reply after this one Acrobat Reader will save the opened
file.  Look in the top tool bar, in the left side, next to the icon that
looks like the Acrobat logo, the button marked "File".  Click on File
and in the drop down menu is a selection to "Save", click it and
navigate to the folder on your HD where you want to save the opened file.

Michael

--
Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...
http://www.armadilloweb.com

A Proud User of SeaMonkey The Suite

Re: Acrobat reader open out side browser

user-41
On 6/23/06 8:08 AM, Michael Gordon posted the following:

> On 6/22/2006 7:23 PM Chris W created this reply
>> Michael Gordon wrote:
>>> On 6/22/2006 11:48 AM Chris W created this reply
>>>>
>>> In Acrobat Reader go to Edit/Preferences/Internet and remove the
>>> check in the box for "View in Browser".  Close Acrobat Reader, open
>>> your browser and select a .pdf file from the web, Acrobat should
>>> open in as a separate application outside of your browser.
>>>
>>> You can open a .pdf file by simply clicking on the filename and
>>> Acrobat will open the file from your HD.
>>>
>> It's still not giving me the option to save or open like I had it
>> before.  With out the option to save the file it is very difficult to
>> save some pdf files.  If you try and view spec sheets from this web
>> site...
>>
>> http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*LM3916*&terms=LM3916&Ntt=*LM3916*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true
>>

>> The Data sheet link is a java script so you can't right click to save
>> the file.  I can't find any way for it to ask me if I want to save or
>> open.
> As in the reply after this one Acrobat Reader will save the opened
> file.  Look in the top tool bar, in the left side, next to the icon
> that looks like the Acrobat logo, the button marked "File".  Click on
> File and in the drop down menu is a selection to "Save", click it and
> navigate to the folder on your HD where you want to save the opened file.
For some time, I have had all browsers set to simply download and open
PDFs outside the browser, and hence they are saved to my desktop. I have
also removed any plug-ins that pertain to PDF's and that may make the
behavior I desire automatic. ymmv; I am on a Mac,

--
John McWilliams

Re: Acrobat reader open out side browser

MC (temp) Dan (no email)

John McWilliams wrote:

> On 6/23/06 8:08 AM, Michael Gordon posted the following:

> >> It's still not giving me the option to save or open like I had it
> >> before.  With out the option to save the file it is very difficult to
> >> save some pdf files.  If you try and view spec sheets from this web
> >> site...
> >>
> >> http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*LM3916*&terms=LM3916&Ntt=*LM3916*&Dk=1&Ns=SField&N=0&crc=true
> >>

> >> The Data sheet link is a java script so you can't right click to save
> >> the file.  I can't find any way for it to ask me if I want to save or
> >> open.
> > As in the reply after this one Acrobat Reader will save the opened
> > file.  Look in the top tool bar, in the left side, next to the icon
> > that looks like the Acrobat logo, the button marked "File".  Click on
> > File and in the drop down menu is a selection to "Save", click it and
> > navigate to the folder on your HD where you want to save the opened file.
> For some time, I have had all browsers set to simply download and open
> PDFs outside the browser, and hence they are saved to my desktop. I have
> also removed any plug-ins that pertain to PDF's and that may make the
> behavior I desire automatic. ymmv; I am on a Mac,

Conversely, I use the freeware PDF Browser plug in for the Mac, which allows
you to view pdf files in the browser.  As John says tho, ymmv.