Accessible AJAX Test Cases

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2


I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
application examples in the coming weeks.

http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/


-Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-4
Added an application test case that shows form validation with
accessible live regions. Working on an example chat application. More to
come soon.

http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html

-Charles

P.S. Happy holidays to all!

>
>
> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
> application examples in the coming weeks.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>
>
> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-4
Here are the notes for that application test case:
http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints_notes.html

> Added an application test case that shows form validation with
> accessible live regions. Working on an example chat application. More to
> come soon.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html
>
> -Charles
>
> P.S. Happy holidays to all!
>>
>>
>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
>> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
>> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
>> application examples in the coming weeks.
>>
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>
>>
>> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-4
Ok, here's a demo of how Accessible AJAX can be used for chat apps (this
demo chat app is with scripted bots, not a chat server).

This demo also raises some issues with the current WAI ARIA markup - my
comments on these issues can be seen in the notes.

http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/ajax_chat/chat.html
http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/ajax_chat/chat_notes.html

Happy New Year everyone!

-Charles


> Here are the notes for that application test case:
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints_notes.html
>
>> Added an application test case that shows form validation with
>> accessible live regions. Working on an example chat application. More
>> to come soon.
>>
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html
>>
>> -Charles
>>
>> P.S. Happy holidays to all!
>>>
>>>
>>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own,
>>> as well as some more advanced examples that show how different
>>> attributes can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as
>>> well as application examples in the coming weeks.
>>>
>>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>>
>>>
>>> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

mozilla accessibility
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-4
Here are my comments after giving these a spin with Jaws, version 8.0.423.
I have not commented on the chat demo yet.

Thanx Charles - this is great work!

Happy new year...
-- Rich Caloggero, WGBH NCAM
***************************

live="off"
Fine.

live="polite"
Jaws does not announce the change.
However, I do notice that updates to the jaws virtual buffer do happen. This
means that I can navigate back to the region and when I read it, it will
show the current value. In IE and previous versions of firefox, you had to
force an update to the virtual buffer with jawsKey+escape (jaws refresh
window).

live="assertive"
Same as above.

live="rude"
Ditto.

controls=[idlist]
Jaws does not catch the update. However, the change is reflected in the
virtual buffer as above.

labelledby=[idlist]
No apparent association.

describedby=[idlist]
No apparent association.

atomic="true"
Jaws stays silent.


atomic="false"
Jaws stays silent.


Controls and Politeness - Advanced Test Case
Jaws stays silent.

Multiple Live Regions - Advanced Test Case
This is interesting. Jaws does not announce changes. However, I noticed
while arrowing around the page trying to find each of the four regions, my
"virtual focus" (position in the jaws virtual buffer) kept changing, even
when I wasn't arrowing. The effect of this was very disorienting; I thought
I was just reading the polite region, then I found myself at the summary, or
at the beginning of the page, or some other random place.
I think this means that a true "virtual focus" needs to be established and
kept, even when the virtual view changes.




CLC Fan Club
The live regions were not announced.
The changes are reflected immediately in the virtual buffer.
The focus change events are not announced - jaws stays completely silent the
entire time.

> The warning boxes are also inside "label" elements for the form controls.
> By using "label" elements, developers can help users associate the warning
> boxes with the proper form controls.

After entering password and confirmation passwords which do not match, I
confirm that the warning box does show up. However, tabbing to both the
password and confirm password fields does not announce the warning.
Jaws does not support multiple labels on a field; if there is more than one
label referencing the same control ID, only the second is announced when the
field gains focus.




----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Chen" <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups: mozilla.dev.accessibility
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases


Here are the notes for that application test case:
http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints_notes.html

> Added an application test case that shows form validation with
> accessible live regions. Working on an example chat application. More to
> come soon.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html
>
> -Charles
>
> P.S. Happy holidays to all!
>>
>>
>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
>> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
>> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
>> application examples in the coming weeks.
>>
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>
>>
>> -Charles

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-4
Rich,

   Thanks for trying these out. I think I need to clarify something
here:  these tests are intended for AT developers to use as test cases
for AJAX that is properly tagged as they add support to their AT
products for AJAX. Currently, there are no AT available that can support
AJAX, even with proper tags.

-Charles

> Here are my comments after giving these a spin with Jaws, version 8.0.423.
> I have not commented on the chat demo yet.
>
> Thanx Charles - this is great work!
>
> Happy new year...
> -- Rich Caloggero, WGBH NCAM
> ***************************
>
> live="off"
> Fine.
>
> live="polite"
> Jaws does not announce the change.
> However, I do notice that updates to the jaws virtual buffer do happen. This
> means that I can navigate back to the region and when I read it, it will
> show the current value. In IE and previous versions of firefox, you had to
> force an update to the virtual buffer with jawsKey+escape (jaws refresh
> window).
>
> live="assertive"
> Same as above.
>
> live="rude"
> Ditto.
>
> controls=[idlist]
> Jaws does not catch the update. However, the change is reflected in the
> virtual buffer as above.
>
> labelledby=[idlist]
> No apparent association.
>
> describedby=[idlist]
> No apparent association.
>
> atomic="true"
> Jaws stays silent.
>
>
> atomic="false"
> Jaws stays silent.
>
>
> Controls and Politeness - Advanced Test Case
> Jaws stays silent.
>
> Multiple Live Regions - Advanced Test Case
> This is interesting. Jaws does not announce changes. However, I noticed
> while arrowing around the page trying to find each of the four regions, my
> "virtual focus" (position in the jaws virtual buffer) kept changing, even
> when I wasn't arrowing. The effect of this was very disorienting; I thought
> I was just reading the polite region, then I found myself at the summary, or
> at the beginning of the page, or some other random place.
> I think this means that a true "virtual focus" needs to be established and
> kept, even when the virtual view changes.
>
>
>
>
> CLC Fan Club
> The live regions were not announced.
> The changes are reflected immediately in the virtual buffer.
> The focus change events are not announced - jaws stays completely silent the
> entire time.
>
>
>>The warning boxes are also inside "label" elements for the form controls.
>>By using "label" elements, developers can help users associate the warning
>>boxes with the proper form controls.
>
>
> After entering password and confirmation passwords which do not match, I
> confirm that the warning box does show up. However, tabbing to both the
> password and confirm password fields does not announce the warning.
> Jaws does not support multiple labels on a field; if there is more than one
> label referencing the same control ID, only the second is announced when the
> field gains focus.
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Charles Chen" <[hidden email]>
> Newsgroups: mozilla.dev.accessibility
> Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 11:47 AM
> Subject: Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases
>
>
> Here are the notes for that application test case:
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints_notes.html
>
>
>>Added an application test case that shows form validation with
>>accessible live regions. Working on an example chat application. More to
>>come soon.
>>
>>http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html
>>
>>-Charles
>>
>>P.S. Happy holidays to all!
>>
>>>
>>>I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>>>current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>>>examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
>>>well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
>>>can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
>>>application examples in the coming weeks.
>>>
>>>http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>>
>>>
>>>-Charles
>
>
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Victor Tsaran
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-4
Hi Charles,
How do you test these test cases? What tools do you use to
confirm that the case is actually working as you described it?
I found that I could not actually interact with the chat app
because, for one, neither Window-eyes nor JAWS at the moment
understand live regions.
Regards,
Victor

Regards,
Victor

--- Charles Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, here's a demo of how Accessible AJAX can be used for chat
> apps (this
> demo chat app is with scripted bots, not a chat server).
>
> This demo also raises some issues with the current WAI ARIA
> markup - my
> comments on these issues can be seen in the notes.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/ajax_chat/chat.html
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/ajax_chat/chat_notes.html
>
> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> -Charles
>
>
> > Here are the notes for that application test case:
> >
>
http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints_notes.html

> >
> >> Added an application test case that shows form validation
> with
> >> accessible live regions. Working on an example chat
> application. More
> >> to come soon.
> >>
> >>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html
> >>
> >> -Charles
> >>
> >> P.S. Happy holidays to all!
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test
> cases. The
> >>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have
> simple
> >>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on
> their own,
> >>> as well as some more advanced examples that show how
> different
> >>> attributes can interact. I will be creating more advanced
> examples as
> >>> well as application examples in the coming weeks.
> >>>
> >>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -Charles
> _______________________________________________
> dev-accessibility mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
>



_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2

> Hi Charles,
> How do you test these test cases? What tools do you use to
> confirm that the case is actually working as you described it?
> I found that I could not actually interact with the chat app
> because, for one, neither Window-eyes nor JAWS at the moment
> understand live regions.
> Regards,
> Victor
>
In short, you can't.

This is basically a chicken-egg problem; there are no test cases so
there are no AT products that support it, hence there is no way to test
the test cases so nobody tries to make test cases because they can't
tell if they made the test cases correctly or not. We are trying to
break out of this cycle by having me create test cases.

What you can do is check if:
1. the changes occur according to the description,
2. the live regions are marked up according to the description,
and
3. the description for why the live regions are marked as they are seem
to be sensible.

I am working on adding support for live regions to Fire Vox, so these
test cases will make alot more sense once I have that done.
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-4
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2
Ok, added another test case. This one is a scoreboard as requested by Aaron.

http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard.html
http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard_notes.html

-Charles


>
>
> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
> application examples in the coming weeks.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>
>
> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Aaron Leventhal
Charles,

Can you add another column or 2 to each? Like Rebounds and Assists?

Also, do you remember the official way to abbreviate column headers so
that a string is associated with it?
Something like <abbr title="Points">P</abbr>

- Aaron

Charles L. Chen wrote:

> Ok, added another test case. This one is a scoreboard as requested by
> Aaron.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard.html
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard_notes.html
>
> -Charles
>
>
>>
>>
>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own,
>> as well as some more advanced examples that show how different
>> attributes can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as
>> well as application examples in the coming weeks.
>>
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>
>>
>> -Charles
> _______________________________________________
> dev-accessibility mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
>
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-4
Done.

> Charles,
>
> Can you add another column or 2 to each? Like Rebounds and Assists?
>
> Also, do you remember the official way to abbreviate column headers so
> that a string is associated with it?
> Something like <abbr title="Points">P</abbr>
>
> - Aaron
>
> Charles L. Chen wrote:
>
>> Ok, added another test case. This one is a scoreboard as requested by
>> Aaron.
>>
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard.html
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard_notes.html
>>
>> -Charles
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own,
>>> as well as some more advanced examples that show how different
>>> attributes can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as
>>> well as application examples in the coming weeks.
>>>
>>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>>
>>>
>>> -Charles
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> dev-accessibility mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
>>
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2
BTW, file is at:
http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard.xhtml

> Done.
>
>> Charles,
>>
>> Can you add another column or 2 to each? Like Rebounds and Assists?
>>
>> Also, do you remember the official way to abbreviate column headers so
>> that a string is associated with it?
>> Something like <abbr title="Points">P</abbr>
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> Charles L. Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, added another test case. This one is a scoreboard as requested by
>>> Aaron.
>>>
>>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard.html
>>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/scoreboard/scoreboard_notes.html
>>>
>>> -Charles
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
>>>> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
>>>> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own,
>>>> as well as some more advanced examples that show how different
>>>> attributes can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples
>>>> as well as application examples in the coming weeks.
>>>>
>>>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -Charles
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> dev-accessibility mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
>>>
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2
Aaron has pointed out some things that I need to fix with these test
cases, so I will be working on making those changes. Right now the
scoreboard has the changes made, but the rest of the test cases do not.
  Please hold off on commenting about the rest until I have made the
appropriate changes. Thanks.

-Charles

>
>
> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
> application examples in the coming weeks.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>
>
> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Aaron Leventhal-3
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2
Becky Gibson wrote:
> I realize that this isn't an actual working example but in the chat
> example, don't you need a role="region" on the div with id="chatRegion"? I
> didn't see this assigned in the page or via script.
A role is no longer required to use live region
properties. We may decide that a role is useful
for the chatRegion, but it's not strictly required.

> I am a bit confused about how the controls state is supposed to work. From
> reading Charles' notes it seems that he is using controls to indicate what
> object can control changes to the region and he wants to allow control
> from more than one object.  But, when I read the ARIA states specification
> of December 20, 2006, it indicates that controls works in the opposite
> direction, "Controls is used to define the elements that are controlled by
> the current element."  
The ARIA states spec is correct. If a region is
controlled by a textfield. The textfield would
have the controls element and point to the region.
Charles, please take a look at this.

> Am I correct in assuming that changes in the element with a role=region
> and  live="value other than off" will trigger the browser to provide the
> changed information and type to the assistive technology via the
> accessibility api?  
As stated earlier, a role is no longer required.

> In that case there doesn't seem to be a need for the
> send button or send text to be connected to the chat region at all. When
> the send button is pressed, the script will update the chat region and
> because it is marked as live="polite" the changed information will be made
> available to the assistive technology.  In this case it doesn't matter if
> the where the change is coming from - either the actual chat server or the
> user input.  Can someone clarify how this is supposed to work?
The group hasn't discussed cases where both real
world events and user events could control the
live region. This is an interesting case for that
reason. At the moment I suggest more information
is better than less, and we should continue to
state that the textfield and perhaps the button
control the chat region.

>
> thanks,
> Becky
>
> --- Charles Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ok, here's a demo of how Accessible AJAX can be used for chat
>> apps (this
>> demo chat app is with scripted bots, not a chat server).
>>
>> This demo also raises some issues with the current WAI ARIA
>> markup - my
>> comments on these issues can be seen in the notes.
>>
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/ajax_chat/chat.html
>> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/ajax_chat/chat_notes.html
>>
>> Happy New Year everyone!
>>
>> -Charles
>
>
> Becky Gibson
> Web Accessibility Architect
>                                                        
> IBM Emerging Internet Technologies
> 5 Technology Park Drive
> Westford, MA 01886
> Voice: 978 399-6101; t/l 333-6101
> Email: [hidden email]
>
>
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-2
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2

>> I am a bit confused about how the controls state is supposed to work.
>> From reading Charles' notes it seems that he is using controls to
>> indicate what object can control changes to the region and he wants to
>> allow control from more than one object.  But, when I read the ARIA
>> states specification of December 20, 2006, it indicates that controls
>> works in the opposite direction, "Controls is used to define the
>> elements that are controlled by the current element."  
>
> The ARIA states spec is correct. If a region is controlled by a
> textfield. The textfield would have the controls element and point to
> the region.
> Charles, please take a look at this.

I had been working from an older draft of the document which did not
define how controls= was supposed to be used; I ended up interpreting it
in the opposite way. I will fix this along with the other things which
Aaron had mentioned earlier.

Right now the simple cases and scoreboard are fixed. Advanced cases,
form demo, and chat demo still need to be fixed.

-Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Charles Chen-4
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2

 >> I am a bit confused about how the controls state is supposed to work.
 >> From reading Charles' notes it seems that he is using controls to
 >> indicate what object can control changes to the region and he wants to
 >> allow control from more than one object.  But, when I read the ARIA
 >> states specification of December 20, 2006, it indicates that controls
 >> works in the opposite direction, "Controls is used to define the
 >> elements that are controlled by the current element."
 >
 > The ARIA states spec is correct. If a region is controlled by a
 > textfield. The textfield would have the controls element and point to
 > the region.
 > Charles, please take a look at this.

I had been working from an older draft of the document which did not
define how controls= was supposed to be used; I ended up interpreting it
in the opposite way. I will fix this along with the other things which
Aaron had mentioned earlier.

Right now the simple cases and scoreboard are fixed. Advanced cases,
form demo, and chat demo still need to be fixed.

-Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Mark Pilgrim
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2
On 12/11/06, Charles Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>

re: http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/simple/controls.xhtml - is it
true that <input> buttons can go anywhere, i.e. outside a <form>?  The
W3C validator doesn't mention it, but it does give several other
spurious errors on that page, so I don't entirely trust it.  In any
case, the test cases should be valid according to their declared
doctype.

Other than the issue of markup validity, the "simple" test cases look
fine.  However...

re: http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/form_hints/form_hints.html -
I'm sorry, but this is a terrible example on so many levels.

- the form inputs are right-aligned
- the markup is invalid in ways that matter (improper nesting of divs
within labels, use of non-namespaced "atomic" and "live" attributes in
an HTML 4 document)
- animated error boxes are a terrible idea for an accessibility example
- furthermore, they (the animated error boxes) are positioned in such
a way that they cause the rest of the form controls to move when they
appear
- further-furthermore, they REANIMATE themselves and the surrounding
form controls every time I move off one of the affected <input>s
without fixing the problem
- further^3, there is no accessibly announced message telling me that
the previously reported problem has been fixed.  I would think this
would more important than announcing the problem in the first place.
- "email address is invalid" is a bad error message because it doesn't
tell me what's wrong (and your emailOK() check is not RFC
2822-compliant, see for example section 3 of RFC 3696 for some
examples of tricky email addresses)
- the code for checking valid zip codes per state is likely to go
stale very quickly, and doesn't seem to be in any easily-maintainable
data format
- you're asking for a mailing address and assuming all your visitors
live in the United States, which is just insulting
- "submit" is a terrible name for a form button, unless you're running
a bondage newsletter
- and last but not least, if you click "submit" without filling in
some of the forms, your accessible-live-region case study uses a
JavaScript alert() to tell me that I haven't filled in all the fields
(but doesn't tell me which ones are empty, and doesn't take into
account any of the previously announced errors)

Please, please, please tear down this entire case study and replace it
with a very simple "create an account" form with a username field,
password + confirmation password fields, and a "Create account"
button.  Either put the error messages below the form (so the form
doesn't scroll), above the form in an overflow:auto box (so the form
doesn't scroll), or use absolute positioning and overflow:auto to put
them next to the fields they describe.

--
Cheers,
-Mark
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accessible AJAX Test Cases

Aaron Leventhal-3
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2
Charles,

Can you make the buddy list for the AJAX chat
live="normal" and relevant="additions removals text"?

The idea is that as someone signs on, logs off or
changes their nick a screen reader user could hear
that.

- Aaron

Charles Chen wrote:

>
>
> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
> application examples in the coming weeks.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>
>
> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Status update

Charles Chen-2
In reply to this post by Charles Chen-2
Simple test cases - fixed, validates*, ready for review.
Advanced test cases - fixed, validates, ready for review.
Form hints - fixed, validates, Mark's comments addressed, ready for review.
Ajax chat - working on it, not ready yet.
Scoreboard - fixed, validates, ready for review.

*Note: When I say it "validates" I mean that http://validator.w3.org/ 
doesn't find any problems with it except for the error:
there is no attribute "XMLNS:AAA"
and other errors associated with using aaa attributes.
I can't seem to get those to go away, but I have followed the example
that Aaron showed me for doing the namespace, so I am going to ignore
those as spurious errors until I am informed otherwise.

-Charles


>
>
> I am working on a Mozilla grant for accessible AJAX test cases. The
> current status of my work can be seen here. So far, I have simple
> examples that show each of the live region attributes on their own, as
> well as some more advanced examples that show how different attributes
> can interact. I will be creating more advanced examples as well as
> application examples in the coming weeks.
>
> http://accessibleajax.clcworld.net/
>
>
> -Charles
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility