Accessibility and OS X

Håkan Waara
Hi all!

I'm going to look into how to best make Firefox and Gecko accessible
on Mac OS X. I've started a wiki page with some more information
about this, see: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Accessibility

If more people start using the wiki to describe their current work,
we can have an Accessibility category where we gather all this info
about ongoing projects, status, discussions etc.

Regards,

/Håkan_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list

Re: Accessibility and OS X

Charles Chen-2
Håkan Waara wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm going to look into how to best make Firefox and Gecko accessible  on
> Mac OS X. I've started a wiki page with some more information  about
> this, see: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Accessibility
>
> If more people start using the wiki to describe their current work,  we
> can have an Accessibility category where we gather all this info  about
> ongoing projects, status, discussions etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> /Håkan

Well, my Fire Vox extension works on Mac OS X. It uses Java FreeTTS to
do the voicing.

-Charles
http://www.clcworld.net

PS. In case you are wondering why I am not using VoiceOver, it's because
I don't have a Mac and thus debugging it would be incredibly difficult.
A Java based TTS at least lets me develop and debug on a PC and then try
the finished version on a friend's Mac.

Re: Accessibility and OS X

Aaron Leventhal-3
Yes, it's true that text-to-speech screen reading is possible on Mac
using Charles' extension, but there are also other assistive
technologies that an accessibility API can address.

- Aaron

26 apr 2006 kl. 01.31 skrev Charles Chen:

> Håkan Waara wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> I'm going to look into how to best make Firefox and Gecko
>> accessible  on Mac OS X. I've started a wiki page with some more
>> information  about this, see: http://wiki.mozilla.org/
>> Mac:Accessibility
>> If more people start using the wiki to describe their current
>> work,  we can have an Accessibility category where we gather all
>> this info  about ongoing projects, status, discussions etc.
>> Regards,
>> /Håkan
>
> Well, my Fire Vox extension works on Mac OS X. It uses Java FreeTTS
> to do the voicing.

That's great to hear.

Note that making Gecko accessible means not only making Firefox
accessible but also Thunderbird and all future XULRunner-based apps
(assuming accessibility is linked into it).

dev-accessibility mailing list

Re: Accessibility and OS X

David hilbert Poehlman
It may be true that firevos works on os x, but I've not been able to
apply it constructively.