Accessibar 0.7.5 Release on Addons Mozilla

Accessibar 0.7.5 Release on Addons Mozilla

Edan Kemelman
I am pleased to announce the release of version 0.7.5. of Accessibar on Addons
Mozilla ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4242 ). For those of you
who are not familiar with this Firefox extension, a short overview:

Accessibar is a freely available accessibility oriented toolbar extension for
Firefox which has been available for Mozilla since September 2004. The toolbar
currently provides the following features allowing users to:

- Change/adapt background, text and link colors of web pages for currently viewed
and subsequently loaded web pages.
- Increase/decrease text size
- Increase/decrease line spacing
- Quickly access Firefox's font dialog to change font preferences for pages
- Hide all displayed graphics including embedded flash
- Text to speech output using the FreeTTS voice synthesizer
- Easily restore viewed page to original page styles

Newly available in version 0.7.5:
- A configurable enhanced focus indicator similar to the functionality proposed here:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/04/25/new-focus-indicator
- Unvisited/visited link color control for pages (without changing global browser
preference)
- Preference to use dashed underline for visited links so that users with visual
impairments can easily discern between visited and unvisited links.

I believe that Accessibar can be a good place for the incorporation of
accessibility oriented features that are not available to users in a default
Firefox installation. I would like to encourage users and developers to propose
and contribute any features they believe may help make browsing the web a more
accessible experience.

If you have any suggestion/comments/contributions, please send them directly to
the development team's contact e-mails found here:
http://accessibar.mozdev.org/credits.html

Edan Kemelman
The Accessibar Project
http://accessibar.mozdev.org

Re: Accessibar 0.7.5 Release on Addons Mozilla

Aaron Leventhal-3
Edan, this is great -- thank you!

For the visited/unvisited link option -- I've met with users who could not see
differences in color at all. For those users it would be useful to have a dashed
  or dotted underline option of some kind. Perhaps it would be necessary to use
border-bottom for that, because I don't think underline can do it. Or, italicize
the link. This would also be something helpful in Firefox's VPAT (508 compliance
report), because software should not rely on color alone to represent important
information.

We'll also be mentioning Accessibar in the VPAT because of the focus
enhancement, which is very useful for people with low vision. The regular dotted
outline for focus is incredibly hard to see :(

- Aaron

Edan Kemelman wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the release of version 0.7.5. of Accessibar on
> Addons Mozilla ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4242 ).
> For those of you who are not familiar with this Firefox extension, a
> short overview:
>
> Accessibar is a freely available accessibility oriented toolbar
> extension for Firefox which has been available for Mozilla since
> September 2004. The toolbar currently provides the following features
> allowing users to:
>
> - Change/adapt background, text and link colors of web pages for
> currently viewed and subsequently loaded web pages.
> - Increase/decrease text size
> - Increase/decrease line spacing
> - Quickly access Firefox's font dialog to change font preferences for pages
> - Hide all displayed graphics including embedded flash
> - Text to speech output using the FreeTTS voice synthesizer
> - Easily restore viewed page to original page styles
>
> Newly available in version 0.7.5:
> - A configurable enhanced focus indicator similar to the functionality
> proposed here:
> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/04/25/new-focus-indicator
> - Unvisited/visited link color control for pages (without changing
> global browser preference)
> - Preference to use dashed underline for visited links so that users
> with visual impairments can easily discern between visited and unvisited
> links.
>
> I believe that Accessibar can be a good place for the incorporation of
> accessibility oriented features that are not available to users in a
> default Firefox installation. I would like to encourage users and
> developers to propose and contribute any features they believe may help
> make browsing the web a more accessible experience.
>
> If you have any suggestion/comments/contributions, please send them
> directly to the development team's contact e-mails found here:
> http://accessibar.mozdev.org/credits.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Edan Kemelman
> The Accessibar Project
> http://accessibar.mozdev.org

Re: Accessibar 0.7.5 Release on Addons Mozilla

Aaron Leventhal-3
Ah, it turns out that Edan did implement this:

Edan wrote:
 > If you go to Accessibar->Options->General under "Browser Behavior", there is a
 > checkbox to select "Use dashed underline for visited links". This will apply
 > the dashed underline preference to all opened tabs.

Excellent work!

- Aaron