Access to thunderbird for the blind.

Daniel Dalton
I am currently writing some jaws scripts for thunderbird. These will
give blind users access to most of the features of thunderbird.
One big problem is that every window class has the same class.
The menus don't but you can't identify a window. So I need to somehow
check to see if the user is in a message list.
For example the inbox.
Once I have done this I can then very easily make the screenreader say
if a message is read or not.
So if someone could somehow give each window a separate window class
that would be good.
 I know this could be a lot of work but it would be worth it.
Unfortunately I can only code in c and I can't program win32 apps.

Also there is an auto guessing context menu when entering an address.
This has been quite hard to script.
But with a bit of coding I have just about got this accessible.

Also the screenreader doesn't seem to read the body of the message in
the compose window properly some times. Is this like a standard text
field like OE?

Thanks for any help.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eddalton/>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Access to thunderbird for the blind.

Victor Tsaran
Hello Daniel,
Unfortunately, standard methods of scripting an application with JAWS will not work for Thunderbird or any Mozilla products, for that matter.
Your only way is to script by using MSAA access and work on an object level purely. I am not sure if Thunderbird3 gives us access to the MSAA tree through IDispatch already; we had this discussion before, but I am not certain as to where things stand now.
Best,
Victor

Re: Access to thunderbird for the blind.

Daniel Dalton
On 4/09/2007 3:13 AM, Victor Tsaran wrote:
Hello Daniel,

Hi,

Unfortunately, standard methods of scripting an application with JAWS
will not work for Thunderbird or any Mozilla products, for that matter.
Your only
way is to script by using MSAA access and work on an object level
purely. I am not sure if Thunderbird3 gives us access to the MSAA tree
through IDispatch
already; we had this discussion before, but I am not certain as to where
things stand now.

I have been working on some scripts:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/jaws/scripts/thunderbird/

Unfortunately I don't know MSAA. Anyway thunderbird is pretty good with
jaws. But what would be nice is to be able to tell what window your in.
So for example
the down arrow might behave differently in different  windows. So if I
could somehow identify the inbox from other windows  then I could maybe
make the
screenreader say if a message is read or not. I have just got the auto
guessing context menu accessible and hope to  post an update to my site
in the next
couple of days. But I think there is a couple of more things that need
to be accessible. But over all it has been really good.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/

Re: Access to thunderbird for the blind.

Tim Keenan
Hi Daniel,
Are you trying to have the message's status spoken before all other info?
As it stands now the status is 3 or 4 columns over and it's spoken by
Jaws and Window-eyes.  I'm not seeing a way to move that to the first
column via the keyboard.  I'll look into whether there's a way to do
this and if not, I'll file a bug for Thunderbird 3.
Unless it's pretty well hidden, I don't see a way at the moment.

On 6/09/2007 9:57 PM, Tim Keenan wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

Hi,

> Are you trying to have the message's status spoken before all other info?

Yes
If a message is in bold it is unread i think. I know how to do it (had
it working) But when it was working it would say unread in every other
window that has bold text that you arrow over.
That is very annoying. So what we need to be able to do is somehow tell
we're in the message list like the inbox and then we can just run that
code I had before.

> As it stands now the status is 3 or 4 columns over and it's spoken by
> Jaws and Window-eyes.  I'm not seeing a way to move that to the first
> column via the keyboard.  I'll look into whether there's a way to do
> this and if not, I'll file a bug for Thunderbird 3.
> Unless it's pretty well hidden, I don't see a way at the moment.

I never knew that. That might be helpful thanks.

I have made the context menu accessible that pops up when entering an
address so will post an update to my site.
That required a bit of coding. The hardest part was telling your in the
context menu. The rest was easy.
Do you use jfw?
Are you using my scripts?