About the license of L10n products

JiHui Choi
Hello.
My name is Jihui Choi.

I'm trying to make a glossary for Korean amateur translators.
I collected a lot of files from KDE, GNOME, OpenOffice.org, Firefox, GIMP and
Launchpad of Ubuntu. Sources from
- GNOME : http://git.gnome.org/cgit/
- KDE : svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/l10n-kde4/ko
- OpenOffice.org : http://www.sunvirtuallab.com:32300/
- Firefox : ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0/linux-i686/xpi/ko.xpi
- GIMP : http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gimp/ http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gimp-gap/
- Launchpad : https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+language-packs

I have some questions about the license. If you help me or introduce me someone
who can help me, I'll really appreciate to you. :)

1. KDE and GNOME includes many projects. Does each project have their own
license, or only projects which are published as a specific license like as GPL
or BSD? For example, every L10n works on Launchpad are under BSD, aren't them?

2. If each project has their own license for their L10n works, how can I handle
those if I want to collect them and reproduce something using them.
I'm making a glossary using many L10n works from many projects.

3. Can I publish and share my glossary under GPL? If I can, which version
should I use, v3.0 or v2.0? There are several licenses, for GNOME, KDE and
GIMP are GPL, LGPL for OpenOffice, Firefox has MPL and BSD for Launchpad.
I wonder whether I can mix all these licenses and publish under a specific
license such as GPL.

I'd like to share my works under GPL or similar it and works with many people.
However, before that I think I should make to be clear about the license.
Here is my demo. http://gloss.mr-dust.pe.kr/

Please check my demo and help me. Thank you, all.

JiHui Choi

Re: About the license of L10n products

Axel Hecht
On 12.10.09 05:31, JiHui Choi wrote:

> Hello.
> My name is Jihui Choi.
>
> I'm trying to make a glossary for Korean amateur translators.
> I collected a lot of files from KDE, GNOME, OpenOffice.org, Firefox, GIMP and
> Launchpad of Ubuntu. Sources from
> - GNOME : http://git.gnome.org/cgit/
> - KDE : svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/l10n-kde4/ko
> - OpenOffice.org : http://www.sunvirtuallab.com:32300/
> - Firefox : ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0/linux-i686/xpi/ko.xpi
> - GIMP : http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gimp/ http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gimp-gap/
> - Launchpad : https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+language-packs
>

> I have some questions about the license. If you help me or introduce me someone
> who can help me, I'll really appreciate to you. :)
>
> 1. KDE and GNOME includes many projects. Does each project have their own
> license, or only projects which are published as a specific license like as GPL
> or BSD? For example, every L10n works on Launchpad are under BSD, aren't them?
>
> 2. If each project has their own license for their L10n works, how can I handle
> those if I want to collect them and reproduce something using them.
> I'm making a glossary using many L10n works from many projects.
>
> 3. Can I publish and share my glossary under GPL? If I can, which version
> should I use, v3.0 or v2.0? There are several licenses, for GNOME, KDE and
> GIMP are GPL, LGPL for OpenOffice, Firefox has MPL and BSD for Launchpad.
> I wonder whether I can mix all these licenses and publish under a specific
> license such as GPL.
>

> I'd like to share my works under GPL or similar it and works with many people.
> However, before that I think I should make to be clear about the license.
> Here is my demo. http://gloss.mr-dust.pe.kr/
>
> Please check my demo and help me. Thank you, all.

Redirecting to mozilla.legal.

In general, you're asking questions hard enough to warrant getting
actual legal advice and not just people's opinion. In particular the
license on launchpad stuff.

Firefox localizations that we host are under MPL/GPL/LGPL, see
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/ for the precise terms.

You could choose to use the GPL license of that. Whether projects can
use your glossary then back for Firefox localizations (or Thunderbird),
is a completely different question, and rather likely a "no".

That said, those are my personal opinions, I am not a lawyer. You do
want a lawyer, though. Depending on your local laws, you may or may not
need to get that response in a one-on-one setup.

Axel

Re: About the license of L10n products

Andras Timar
2009.10.12. 5:31 keltezéssel, JiHui Choi írta:
> I'd like to share my works under GPL or similar it and works with many people.
> However, before that I think I should make to be clear about the license.
> Here is my demo. http://gloss.mr-dust.pe.kr/
>
> Please check my demo and help me. Thank you, all.

Hello JiHui,

Have you seen http://open-tran.eu/?
By the way, words, terms and their translations are not covered by
copyright laws. For example when you put "beer : 안 함 " on you website,
nobody can tell if it was taken from Gnome, from KDE or from somewhere
else. If I were you, I would not think much about licences. Your work is
clearly not a derivative work of Gnome, KDE, Mozilla etc. but it is a
new work on its own.

Best regards,
Andras Timar

Re: About the license of L10n products

Jonathon Blake
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 03:31, JiHui Choi wrote:

> 1. KDE and GNOME includes many projects. Does each project have their own license, or only projects which are published as a specific license like as GPL or BSD? For example, every L10n works on Launchpad are under BSD, aren't them?

a) Each project has its own license;
b) Historically, UI strings have been distributed under a plethora of licenses;

> 2. If each project has their own license for their L10n works, how can I handle those if I want

You need to go to the current, and in some instances, prior maintainer
of each l10n project for each program, to determine exactly which
licenses those strings are distributed under.

Note: It isn't uncommon for several (anywhere between two and ten)
different teams to  provide l10n data for the same program.

> 3. Can I publish and share my glossary under GPL?

Perhaps.    You'll need to verify that each string has been
distributed under the same version of that license.

> There are several licenses, for GNOME, KDE and GIMP are GPL, LGPL for OpenOffice, Firefox has MPL and BSD for Launchpad.

Depending upon the specific  l10n team, you might find that the
translation strings have been licensed under more licenses than the
program, simply to maintain cross-project license compatibility.

jonathon

Re: About the license of L10n products

JiHui Choi
Thanks a million for all answers.
However I'm not sure yet. I just want to make a glossary which
everyone can use freely.
It's not as simple as my wish. :(

The license issue is more complicate than making a glossary, but I'll
not give up.
Please give me more opinions and advices. Thank you, all :)

p.s I should contact to Software Freedom Law Center.

JiHui Choi