Ability to delete news item headers

RAV-2
I'm using Thunderbird 1.5 (20051201).  I wish that T-bird would allow you to delete a news item header.  I know you can't delete the message itself (it's stored on the server).  And I know I can set the view to only display unread items, but that's not what I want.  I want the item to be expunged from my computer.  I don't want it ever to be able to be displayed, which means I don't want it stored in any file.  This is a work environment, and they routinely scan files on our machines, and I don't want malicious/obscene/whatever stuff to remain on my PC.  When I used Free Agent as my news reader, simply pressing Delete would delete the item.  I don't see any reason why T-Bird couldn't allow this.  Thank you.