AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Brian-2
On 4/20/19 3:14 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>

>> But just in case they are.
>>
>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>
>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are
>> both better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>>

> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about
> something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling
> him what other people are using because he can surely use common sense
> to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs
> some guidance like an old person suffering from dementia.  I don't
> make assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is
> that the poster has some common sense which may not be common with all
> the people on this planet!!!
>
> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so
> widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or
> its variant) was around well before Microsoft started yet it over took
> Linux in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us
> that they are stuck in using Windows because they have already
> invested in software and training so they can't change.  If this is
> true then why did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to
> compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all
> those users.

Linus Torvalds posted the original Usenet message which started the
Linux project in either 1992 or 1993, AFAIR, more than a decade after
Microsoft bought the code that became MS-DOS 1.0. I suspect you're
confusing Linux and Unix. Unix has been around longer than Microsoft,
but in those days at least, it was emphatically NOT a free package.
Shortly after leaving university (early 1980s) I investigated getting
a copy of Unix on a PC, and was quoted around 500 pounds sterling for
a single user copy of SCO Unix. Yes, I got a copy of MS-DOS on my PC,
same as everyone else buying an IBM PC (or a clone) around that time.

If Linux had been available for free in those days, things may indeed
have worked out very differently. What Microsoft proved beyond all
doubt is that their pricing strategy and marketing techniques were
infinitely superior to that of the Unix vendors.

Brian.

--
GPG Public Key: http://www.patandbrian.org/brians_key.asc

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Cows are Nice
On 04/21/2019 03:17 PM, Brian wrote:

> On 4/20/19 3:14 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>>
>>> But just in case they are.
>>>
>>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>>
>>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are
>>> both better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>>>

>> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked
>> about something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in
>> telling him what other people are using because he can surely use
>> common sense
>>

>> blah-blah-blaaahhh...
>>

>> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products
>> so widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux
>> (or its variant) was around well before Microsoft started yet it
>> over took Linux in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep
>> telling us that they are stuck in using Windows because they have
>> already invested in software and training so they can't change.  If
>> this is true then why did this NOT happen with Linux when there was
>> nothing to compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did something
>> right to win all those users.
>>

> Linus Torvalds posted the original Usenet message which started the
> Linux project in either 1992 or 1993, AFAIR, more than a decade
> after Microsoft bought the code that became MS-DOS 1.0. I suspect
> you're confusing Linux and Unix. Unix has been around longer than
> Microsoft, but in those days at least, it was emphatically NOT a free
> package. Shortly after leaving university (early 1980s) I
> investigated getting a copy of Unix on a PC, and was quoted around
> 500 pounds sterling for a single user copy of SCO Unix. Yes, I got a
> copy of MS-DOS on my PC, same as everyone else buying an IBM PC (or a
> clone) around that time.
>
> If Linux had been available for free in those days, things may
> indeed have worked out very differently. What Microsoft proved beyond
> all doubt is that their pricing strategy and marketing techniques
> were infinitely superior to that of the Unix vendors.

I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
Torvalds rewrote it.

Anyhow, Good Guy likely has Minix always running, always on, in the
secret computer-inside-a-computer Intel Management Engine inside his
junk machine, and doesn't know it.
<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/intels-secret-cpu-on-chip-management-engine-me-runs-on-minix-os/>

And furtherhow, Good Guy is the one who brought Linux into this thread
(which he conveniently snipped from the quoted material as he began
whining about it.)

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Mark Rousell-3
On 22/04/2019 02:42, Cows are Nice wrote:
> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford

Unix has been ported to many platforms. In fact it was Microsoft who
(probably) first ported Unix to a number of 16 bit platforms between
1978 and the mid 1980s. Have a look at the Wikipedia article for Xenix:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix. Xenix was Microsoft's licensed,
commercial version of AT&T's Unix.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Daniel-2
PietB wrote on 21/04/2019 7:36 PM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>
> Yes. AVG still works fine, but after the latest update(s) the
> behaviour shield has become overzealous, yielding false alarms.
>
> -p

As I've tried to explain in my OP, that's no the problem I'm
experiencing! ;-(

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418t

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Brian-2
On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:

<...>

> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
> Torvalds rewrote it.

It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
XT.

Brian

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Jim Taylor-4
Brian wrote:

> On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:
>
> <...>
>>
>> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
>> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
>> Torvalds rewrote it.
>>

> It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
> my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
> Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
> said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
> machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
> XT.
>

> Brian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation#PC/IX

"Although observers in the early 1980s expected that IBM would choose
Microsoft Xenix or a version from AT&T Corporation as the Unix for its
microcomputer,[9] PC/IX was the first Unix implementation for the IBM
PC XT available directly from IBM.[10]"

Jim

On 4/22/19 12:37 PM, Jim Taylor wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>> On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:
>>
>> <...>
>>>
>>> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
>>> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
>>> Torvalds rewrote it.
>>>

>> It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
>> my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
>> Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
>> said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
>> machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
>> XT.
>>

>> Brian
>>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation#PC/IX
>
> "Although observers in the early 1980s expected that IBM would choose
> Microsoft Xenix or a version from AT&T Corporation as the Unix for its
> microcomputer,[9] PC/IX was the first Unix implementation for the IBM
> PC XT available directly from IBM.[10]"

Live and learn. That mid-80s software house was my first exposure to a
IBM (clone). If I ever used a PC XT, it's receded into the mists of time.

Brian.

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

GerardJan-8
Jim Taylor wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>> On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:
>>
>> <...>
>>>
>>> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
>>> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
>>> Torvalds rewrote it.
>>>

>> It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
>> my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
>> Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
>> said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
>> machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
>> XT.
>>

>> Brian
>>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation#PC/IX
>
> "Although observers in the early 1980s expected that IBM would choose Microsoft
> Xenix or a version from AT&T Corporation as the Unix for its microcomputer,[9]
> PC/IX was the first Unix implementation for the IBM PC XT available directly
> from IBM.[10]"
>
> Jim

I am running Fedora Version 20 (Redhat like) an it looks like System 5 and BSD
Unix.... I am very content with this on my Asus PC !

--
Gerard-Jan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816