AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Daniel-2
PietB wrote on 21/04/2019 7:36 PM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>
> Yes. AVG still works fine, but after the latest update(s) the
> behaviour shield has become overzealous, yielding false alarms.
>
> -p

As I've tried to explain in my OP, that's no the problem I'm
experiencing! ;-(

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418t

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Brian-2
On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:

<...>

> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
> Torvalds rewrote it.

It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
XT.

Brian

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Jim Taylor-4
Brian wrote:

> On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:
>
> <...>
>>
>> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
>> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
>> Torvalds rewrote it.
>>

> It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
> my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
> Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
> said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
> machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
> XT.
>

> Brian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation#PC/IX

"Although observers in the early 1980s expected that IBM would choose
Microsoft Xenix or a version from AT&T Corporation as the Unix for its
microcomputer,[9] PC/IX was the first Unix implementation for the IBM
PC XT available directly from IBM.[10]"

Jim

On 4/22/19 12:37 PM, Jim Taylor wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>> On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:
>>
>> <...>
>>>
>>> I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
>>> microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
>>> Torvalds rewrote it.
>>>

>> It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
>> my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
>> Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
>> said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
>> machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
>> XT.
>>

>> Brian
>>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation#PC/IX
>
> "Although observers in the early 1980s expected that IBM would choose
> Microsoft Xenix or a version from AT&T Corporation as the Unix for its
> microcomputer,[9] PC/IX was the first Unix implementation for the IBM
> PC XT available directly from IBM.[10]"

Live and learn. That mid-80s software house was my first exposure to a
IBM (clone). If I ever used a PC XT, it's receded into the mists of time.

Brian.