AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Daniel-2
Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??

I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the
definitions daily and the program when advised that there was an update
available.

Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my Windows
7 directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!

On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build
19.4.4318.455 and I've update the virus definitions several times since,
as well, so that I am currently using definitions ver 190420-4 released
April 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.

Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan, or
at least that's when I would close the program, just leaving it
monitoring things down in the bottom right of screen.

However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a
scan, even after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before going
to bed, it would still be "Scanning for performance issues - scanning
for programs slowing down your PC".

Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or has
anyone recently had similar problems that they have managed to solve??

TIA.
--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

GerardJan-8
Daniel wrote:

> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>
> I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the definitions
> daily and the program when advised that there was an update available.
>
> Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my Windows 7
> directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!
>
> On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build 19.4.4318.455
> and I've update the virus definitions several times since, as well, so that I am
> currently using definitions ver 190420-4 released April 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.
>
> Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan, or at least
> that's when I would close the program, just leaving it monitoring things down in
> the bottom right of screen.
>
> However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a scan, even
> after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before going to bed, it would
> still be "Scanning for performance issues - scanning for programs slowing down
> your PC".
>
> Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or has anyone
> recently had similar problems that they have managed to solve??
>
> TIA.

use the commercial version of AVG-antivirus

--
Gerard-Jan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

https://facebook.com/gerardjan.vinkesteijn (east side of the hotel)
Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Ray_Net
Daniel wrote on 20-04-19 14:40:

> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>
> I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the
> definitions daily and the program when advised that there was an
> update available.
>
> Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my
> Windows 7 directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!
>
> On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build
> 19.4.4318.455 and I've update the virus definitions several times
> since, as well, so that I am currently using definitions ver 190420-4
> released April 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.
>
> Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan,
> or at least that's when I would close the program, just leaving it
> monitoring things down in the bottom right of screen.
>
> However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a
> scan, even after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before
> going to bed, it would still be "Scanning for performance issues -
> scanning for programs slowing down your PC".
>
> Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or
> has anyone recently had similar problems that they have managed to
> solve??
>
> TIA.
There is no need to perform scanning "for performance issues" nor "for
programs slowing down your pc" because after that the AVG shows you
problems that you can correct them if you buy the paying upgrade.
Anyway I have Free AVG on a window7 pc and it finished in less than one
hour "for performance issues" and "programs slowing down your pc" included.

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Mozilla - General mailing list
Daniel wrote:

> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>
> I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the
> definitions daily and the program when advised that there was an update
> available.
>
> Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my Windows
> 7 directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!
>
> On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build
> 19.4.4318.455 and I've update the virus definitions several times since,
> as well, so that I am currently using definitions ver 190420-4 released
> April 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.
>
> Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan, or
> at least that's when I would close the program, just leaving it
> monitoring things down in the bottom right of screen.
>
> However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a
> scan, even after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before going
> to bed, it would still be "Scanning for performance issues - scanning
> for programs slowing down your PC".
>
> Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or has
> anyone recently had similar problems that they have managed to solve??
>
> TIA.
Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV
programs cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far Windows
Defender do the job silently and it's doing quite well.

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

WaltS48-9
On 4/20/19 10:52 AM, Luis wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>>
>> I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the
>> definitions daily and the program when advised that there was an
>> update available.
>>
>> Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my
>> Windows 7 directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!
>>
>> On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build
>> 19.4.4318.455 and I've update the virus definitions several times
>> since, as well, so that I am currently using definitions ver 190420-4
>> released April 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.
>>
>> Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan,
>> or at least that's when I would close the program, just leaving it
>> monitoring things down in the bottom right of screen.
>>
>> However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a
>> scan, even after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before
>> going to bed, it would still be "Scanning for performance issues -
>> scanning for programs slowing down your PC".
>>
>> Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or
>> has anyone recently had similar problems that they have managed to
>> solve??
>>
>> TIA.
> Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV
> programs cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far Windows
> Defender do the job silently and it's doing quite well.

+1

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/20/19 10:52 AM, Luis wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>>>
>>> I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the definitions
>>> daily and the program when advised that there was an update available.
>>>
>>> Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my Windows 7
>>> directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!
>>>
>>> On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build
>>> 19.4.4318.455 and I've update the virus definitions several times since, as
>>> well, so that I am currently using definitions ver 190420-4 released April
>>> 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.
>>>
>>> Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan, or at
>>> least that's when I would close the program, just leaving it monitoring
>>> things down in the bottom right of screen.
>>>
>>> However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a scan,
>>> even after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before going to bed, it
>>> would still be "Scanning for performance issues - scanning for programs
>>> slowing down your PC".
>>>
>>> Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or has
>>> anyone recently had similar problems that they have managed to solve??
>>>
>>> TIA.
>> Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV programs
>> cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far Windows Defender do the
>> job silently and it's doing quite well.
>
> +1

I use the *Kasperski* anti-virus program with Windows-10

--
Gerard-Jan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

https://facebook.com/gerardjan.vinkesteijn (east side of the hotel)
Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 20/04/2019 15:52, Luis wrote:
> Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV
> programs cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far Windows
> Defender do the job silently and it's doing quite well.

You should not be giving away secrets here because people don't believe
them.  Just keep quiet about them and they will come to the same
conclusion as you have.  That's how human behave.  you tell them
something then suspicious arise and your advice is not taken by
"askholes".  Better not tell them and try avoiding telling them anything
about Microsoft products.  always encourage them to use Linux Junk that
doesn't require any anti-virus products because nobody is wasting any
time on that junk.

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

On 4/20/19 11:44 AM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 20/04/2019 15:52, Luis wrote:
>> Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV
>> programs cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far Windows
>> Defender do the job silently and it's doing quite well.
>
> You should not be giving away secrets here because people don't believe
> them.  Just keep quiet about them and they will come to the same
> conclusion as you have.  That's how human behave.  you tell them
> something then suspicious arise and your advice is not taken by
> "askholes".  Better not tell them and try avoiding telling them anything
> about Microsoft products.  always encourage them to use Linux Junk that
> doesn't require any anti-virus products because nobody is wasting any
> time on that junk.

But just in case they are.

<https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>

Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both
better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Big Al-3
On 4/20/19 12:59 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/20/19 11:44 AM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>> On 20/04/2019 15:52, Luis wrote:
>>> Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV
>>> programs cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far
>>> Windows Defender do the job silently and it's doing quite well.
>>
>> You should not be giving away secrets here because people don't
>> believe them.  Just keep quiet about them and they will come to the
>> same conclusion as you have.  That's how human behave.  you tell them
>> something then suspicious arise and your advice is not taken by
>> "askholes".  Better not tell them and try avoiding telling them
>> anything about Microsoft products.  always encourage them to use Linux
>> Junk that doesn't require any anti-virus products because nobody is
>> wasting any time on that junk.
>>

> But just in case they are.
>
> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>
> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both
> better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)

OT:  How do you get a cascading menu like Mint has in Ubuntu?   I've
seen screenshots looking for themes.    I hate Ubuntu's all apps windows
10 style menu.
I want categories to find things faster.

On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:

> But just in case they are.
>
> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>
> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both
> better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)

That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about
something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling
him what other people are using because he can surely use common sense
to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs
some guidance like an old person suffering from dementia.  I don't make
assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is that the
poster has some common sense which may not be common with all the people
on this planet!!!

So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so
widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its
variant) was around well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux
in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us that they
are stuck in using Windows because they have already invested in
software and training so they can't change.  If this is true then why
did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to compete against
them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all those users.

On 4/20/19 3:14 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>

>> But just in case they are.
>>
>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>
>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both
>> better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>>

> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about
> something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling
> him what other people are using because he can surely use common sense
> to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs
> some guidance like an old person suffering from dementia.  I don't make
> assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is that the
> poster has some common sense which may not be common with all the people
> on this planet!!!
>
> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so
> widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its
> variant) was around well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux
> in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us that they
> are stuck in using Windows because they have already invested in
> software and training so they can't change.  If this is true then why
> did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to compete against
> them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all those users.

Which came first the computer or the operating system.

I'm not a computer historian. Linux powered servers, probably until
after the first PC came out. Then somebody had the idea to make free
desktop versions.

I guess when the computer manufacturers decided to mass market personal
computers they went with Microsoft because like Microsoft, they were out
to take the public for all they could get and MS had a desktop operating
system..

Then the public saw that they could get a computer for home and all they
could get at CompUSA was one with the Microsoft operating system.

I never really saw the need for one until I had to start using one at work.

When I go into Best Buy I still don't see any PC's with Ubuntu or Mint
or any Linux distribution. Any marketing on TV, radio, other.

There is the Microsoft section and the Apple section and a few Chromebooks.

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/20/19 3:14 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>>

>>> But just in case they are.
>>>
>>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>>
>>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both better
>>> than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>>>

>> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about
>> something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling him what
>> other people are using because he can surely use common sense to work that out
>> unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs some guidance like an old
>> person suffering from dementia.  I don't make assumptions about people
>> although the only assumption I make is that the poster has some common sense
>> which may not be common with all the people on this planet!!!
>>
>> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so widely
>> used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its variant) was
>> around well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux in all
>> departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us that they are stuck in
>> using Windows because they have already invested in software and training so
>> they can't change.  If this is true then why did this NOT happen with Linux
>> when there was nothing to compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did
>> something right to win all those users.
>>

> Which came first the computer or the operating system.
>
> I'm not a computer historian. Linux powered servers, probably until after the
> first PC came out. Then somebody had the idea to make free desktop versions.
>
> I guess when the computer manufacturers decided to mass market personal
> computers they went with Microsoft because like Microsoft, they were out to take
> the public for all they could get and MS had a desktop operating system..
>
> Then the public saw that they could get a computer for home and all they could
> get at CompUSA was one with the Microsoft operating system.
>
> I never really saw the need for one until I had to start using one at work.
>
> When I go into Best Buy I still don't see any PC's with Ubuntu or Mint or any
> Linux distribution. Any marketing on TV, radio, other.
>
> There is the Microsoft section and the Apple section and a few Chromebooks.

Let we all wait for the hybrid car from citroen...
https://www.dsautomobiles.es/vehiculos-ds/ds-7-crossback/diseno/ds-7-crossback-test-drives-&-videos.html#

😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 20/04/2019 15:52, Luis wrote:
>> Since I installed Windows 10 I decided to avoid all commercial AV
>> programs cause they caused more problems than benefits. So far Windows
>> Defender do the job silently and it's doing quite well.
>
> You should not be giving away secrets here because people don't believe
> them.  Just keep quiet about them and they will come to the same
> conclusion as you have.  That's how human behave.  you tell them
> something then suspicious arise and your advice is not taken by
> "askholes".  Better not tell them and try avoiding telling them anything
> about Microsoft products.  always encourage them to use Linux Junk that
> doesn't require any anti-virus products because nobody is wasting any
> time on that junk.
>

> --
> With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/411843/windows-updates-are-breaking-pcs-with-these-antivirus-programs/

But don't get me wrong Good Guy. I use W10 cause most applications I use
run in Windows but also use Linux cause I'm up to my neck with Microsoft
(and Google) spying me.

On 04/20/19 4:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/20/19 3:14 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>>

>>> But just in case they are.
>>>
>>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>>
>>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>>>

>> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling him what other people
>> are using because he can surely use common sense to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs some guidance like an old person suffering
>> from dementia.  I don't make assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is that the poster has some common sense which may not be common with all
>> the people on this planet!!!
>>
>> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its variant) was around
>> well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us that they are stuck in using Windows because
>> they have already invested in software and training so they can't change.  If this is true then why did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to
>> compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all those users.
>>

> Which came first the computer or the operating system.
>
> I'm not a computer historian. Linux powered servers, probably until after the first PC came out. Then somebody had the idea to make free desktop versions.
>
> I guess when the computer manufacturers decided to mass market personal computers they went with Microsoft because like Microsoft, they were out to take the public
> for all they could get and MS had a desktop operating system..
>
> Then the public saw that they could get a computer for home and all they could get at CompUSA was one with the Microsoft operating system.
>
> I never really saw the need for one until I had to start using one at work.
>
> When I go into Best Buy I still don't see any PC's with Ubuntu or Mint or any Linux distribution. Any marketing on TV, radio, other.
>
> There is the Microsoft section and the Apple section and a few Chromebooks.

Don't forget Unix and Znix

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed

On 4/20/19 5:16 PM, 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

> On 04/20/19 4:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling him what other people
>>> are using because he can surely use common sense to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs some guidance like an old person suffering
>>> from dementia.  I don't make assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is that the poster has some common sense which may not be common with all
>>> the people on this planet!!!
>>>
>>> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its variant) was around
>>> well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us that they are stuck in using Windows because
>>> they have already invested in software and training so they can't change.  If this is true then why did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to
>>> compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all those users.
>>>

>> Which came first the computer or the operating system.
>>
>> I'm not a computer historian. Linux powered servers, probably until after the first PC came out. Then somebody had the idea to make free desktop versions.
>>
>> I guess when the computer manufacturers decided to mass market personal computers they went with Microsoft because like Microsoft, they were out to take the public
>> for all they could get and MS had a desktop operating system..
>>
>> Then the public saw that they could get a computer for home and all they could get at CompUSA was one with the Microsoft operating system.
>>
>> I never really saw the need for one until I had to start using one at work.
>>
>> When I go into Best Buy I still don't see any PC's with Ubuntu or Mint or any Linux distribution. Any marketing on TV, radio, other.
>>
>> There is the Microsoft section and the Apple section and a few Chromebooks.
>>
> Don't forget Unix and Znix

I haven't, but I don't find sections devoted to computers with those
operating systems in Best Buy or other remaining stores either.

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

> On 04/20/19 4:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling him what other people
>>> are using because he can surely use common sense to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs some guidance like an old person suffering
>>> from dementia.  I don't make assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is that the poster has some common sense which may not be common with all
>>> the people on this planet!!!
>>>
>>> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its variant) was around
>>> well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us that they are stuck in using Windows because
>>> they have already invested in software and training so they can't change.  If this is true then why did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to
>>> compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all those users.
>>>

>> Which came first the computer or the operating system.
>>
>> I'm not a computer historian. Linux powered servers, probably until after the first PC came out. Then somebody had the idea to make free desktop versions.
>>
>> I guess when the computer manufacturers decided to mass market personal computers they went with Microsoft because like Microsoft, they were out to take the public
>> for all they could get and MS had a desktop operating system..
>>
>> Then the public saw that they could get a computer for home and all they could get at CompUSA was one with the Microsoft operating system.
>>
>> I never really saw the need for one until I had to start using one at work.
>>
>> When I go into Best Buy I still don't see any PC's with Ubuntu or Mint or any Linux distribution. Any marketing on TV, radio, other.
>>
>> There is the Microsoft section and the Apple section and a few Chromebooks.
>>
> Don't forget Unix* and Znix

*Unix is a trademark of whom ?????

😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 21/04/2019 5:14 AM:

> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>
>> But just in case they are.
>>
>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>
>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are both
>> better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>
> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about
> something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling
> him what other people are using because he can surely use common sense
> to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs
> some guidance like an old person suffering from dementia.  I don't make
> assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is that the
> poster has some common sense which may not be common with all the people
> on this planet!!!

"the OP is demented" .... "like an old person suffering from dementia"!!

Can a person "suffering from dementia" NOT be demented??

> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so
> widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or its
> variant) was around well before Microsoft started yet it over took Linux
> in all departments.  do you know why?

I'm guessing that because Microsoft allowed Computer retailers to
install copies of Win 95/98 on to personal computers free-of-charge,
knowing that they would then lock in a large portion of the SOHO market
to future versions of Windows ... where MS would then be able to make
their money ... and, most likely, also lock in the Business market
because Business would not then have to train their employees in a
different "new" OS!!

>  People keep telling us that they
> are stuck in using Windows because they have already invested in
> software and training so they can't change.  If this is true then why
> did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to compete against
> them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all those users.

Because the was not really one single Corporate entity behind Linux ....
and Unix was basically Business focused, so not interested in SOHO markets.

IMHO, of course!! ;-)

GerardJan wrote on 21/04/2019 1:33 PM:
> 🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:
>> On 04/20/19 4:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

<Snip>

>>> When I go into Best Buy I still don't see any PC's with Ubuntu or
>>> Mint or any Linux distribution. Any marketing on TV, radio, other.
>>>
>>> There is the Microsoft section and the Apple section and a few
>>> Chromebooks.
>>>
>> Don't forget Unix* and Znix
>
> *Unix is a trademark of whom ?????

GerardJan, I was going to respond Intel or some-such, but thought I'd
actually do a search first ....

 From DuckDuckGo's search screen .... and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix ....

Unix
opengroup.org/unix
Unix is a family of multitasking, multiuser computer operating systems
that derive from the original AT&T Unix, development starting in the
1970s at the Bell Labs research center by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie,
and others.
End Quote

So it would seem it was AT&T/Bell Labs who originally developed Unix!!

Daniel wrote on 20/04/2019 10:40 PM:

> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??
>
> I've been using it for at least a couple of years, updating the
> definitions daily and the program when advised that there was an update
> available.
>
> Generally, each day after updating, I'd do a complete scan of my Windows
> 7 directories/programs, with nary a virus ever found!!
>
> On April 9,2019, it's updated the program to ver 19.4.3089 - build
> 19.4.4318.455 and I've update the virus definitions several times since,
> as well, so that I am currently using definitions ver 190420-4 released
> April 20, 2019 @ 8:52PM.
>
> Normally, it would take about 20-30 minutes to complete a full scan, or
> at least that's when I would close the program, just leaving it
> monitoring things down in the bottom right of screen.
>
> However, over the last three or so days, it has failed to complete a
> scan, even after 4-6 hours. When I close my HP 6730b Laptop before going
> to bed, it would still be "Scanning for performance issues - scanning
> for programs slowing down your PC".
>
> Is anyone else, here, having problems with AVG Anti-Virus Free?? Or has
> anyone recently had similar problems that they have managed to solve??
>
> TIA.
Today, just for a change, on-line 50 minutes .... and it's still looking
to see if there are any new definitions!! ;-(

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

PietB-2
Daniel wrote:
> Is anybody else here using AVG Anti-Virus Free??

Yes. AVG still works fine, but after the latest update(s) the
behaviour shield has become overzealous, yielding false alarms.

-p