AT support for role="application"

Srinivas Annam
Hi all,

I am trying to understand the functionality of application role and what the
current support of AT is for the same. From the w3 description (at
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#application) once role="application" is
specified AT would set the user into non-browse mode and pass arrow and
other key strokes straight to the the application so the application can
support keyboard functionality.

To verify the behavior I tried the spreadsheet
example<http://www.mozilla.org/access/dhtml/spreadsheet>(from
mozilla.org) using FF3 and Window Eyes 6.1. While WE 6.1 recognized the
application mode and announced "Browse Off" as soon as the page has been
rendered, it continued to stay in browse mode until an explicit focus change
occurred to one of the elements on the body. Is this the expected behavior
of an AT for role="application"? The behavior certainly makes sense to me,
but what threw me off is the fact "Browse Off" has been announced but I
continued to be in browse mode initially. Once I understood, what it is
doing I actually like the resulting user experience, but want to make that
this is the expected behavior.

Also, has anyone tried a combination of application role and document role
on the same page. Any good examples out there that I could play with? What
about other AT, anyone know if JAWS and all has any support for this or
planning to add?

Thanks,
Srinivas

--
Srinivas Annam
Software Engineer, Accessibility

Re: AT support for role="application"

Aaron Leventhal-3
Hi Sri,

I think support for role="application" is still in the early stages
within ATs. I have not personally tried any combinations of document and
application but it would be great to get some test cases for when we
have our meetings with the AT vendors on improving ARIA support. In
general if there is a library of test cases people are using them, so
feel free to throw anything out there, that you think should work, or
you want to make sure still works later :)

I gugges that you also ask on the wai-xtech list -- since there are more
WAI-ARIA people there perhaps than on the Mozilla list. I personally
don't have the same perspective as some of the people actually authoring
with WAI-ARIA.

- Aaron

Srinivas Annam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to understand the functionality of application role and what the
> current support of AT is for the same. From the w3 description (at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#application) once role="application" is
> specified AT would set the user into non-browse mode and pass arrow and
> other key strokes straight to the the application so the application can
> support keyboard functionality.
>
> To verify the behavior I tried the spreadsheet
> example<http://www.mozilla.org/access/dhtml/spreadsheet>(from
> mozilla.org) using FF3 and Window Eyes 6.1. While WE 6.1 recognized the
> application mode and announced "Browse Off" as soon as the page has been
> rendered, it continued to stay in browse mode until an explicit focus change
> occurred to one of the elements on the body. Is this the expected behavior
> of an AT for role="application"? The behavior certainly makes sense to me,
> but what threw me off is the fact "Browse Off" has been announced but I
> continued to be in browse mode initially. Once I understood, what it is
> doing I actually like the resulting user experience, but want to make that
> this is the expected behavior.
>
> Also, has anyone tried a combination of application role and document role
> on the same page. Any good examples out there that I could play with? What
> about other AT, anyone know if JAWS and all has any support for this or
> planning to add?
>
> Thanks,
> Srinivas

Re: AT support for role="application"

Victor Tsaran
Hi Srinivas,
As Aaron suggested, the support for these roles from AT is very minimal
and inconsistent. Part of the problem stams from the fact that the user
interaction model will have to be slightly redesigned as switching in
and out of "virtual buffer" and "browse mode" is not always reliable
even in current versions of AT.
There are lots of interesting questions to answer...
I think it is something we can talk about at the next free lunch at
Google. <grin>

Best,
Vic

Srinivas Annam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to understand the functionality of application role and what the
> current support of AT is for the same. From the w3 description (at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#application) once role="application" is
> specified AT would set the user into non-browse mode and pass arrow and
> other key strokes straight to the the application so the application can
> support keyboard functionality.
>
> To verify the behavior I tried the spreadsheet
> example<http://www.mozilla.org/access/dhtml/spreadsheet>(from
> mozilla.org) using FF3 and Window Eyes 6.1. While WE 6.1 recognized the
> application mode and announced "Browse Off" as soon as the page has been
> rendered, it continued to stay in browse mode until an explicit focus change
> occurred to one of the elements on the body. Is this the expected behavior
> of an AT for role="application"? The behavior certainly makes sense to me,
> but what threw me off is the fact "Browse Off" has been announced but I
> continued to be in browse mode initially. Once I understood, what it is
> doing I actually like the resulting user experience, but want to make that
> this is the expected behavior.
>
> Also, has anyone tried a combination of application role and document role
> on the same page. Any good examples out there that I could play with? What
> about other AT, anyone know if JAWS and all has any support for this or
> planning to add?
>
> Thanks,
> Srinivas

Re: AT support for role="application"

Srinivas Annam
Victor,

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this is an area where we can work
together. I will take Aaron's suggestion and create some examples. And yes,
talking of free lunches... I vaguely remember you promising to host the next
bay area accessibility dinner at Y! :) ... more on that offline.

Aaron: I did post a copy of my original message to wai-xtech but looks like
it is stuck in the moderator queue. Can you forward it to that list please?

Thanks,
Srinivas