ARIA tutorial series started by Paciello Group

ARIA tutorial series started by Paciello Group

Aaron Leventhal-3
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=68

Great start. What I'd love to see is the community working together on
ARIA docs, samples & tutorials, perhaps in a wiki.

Otherwise we'll end up with a lot of overlap and not an organized place
for authors to look at stuff.

- Aaron

Re: ARIA tutorial series started by Paciello Group

Jason White-14
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:23:38AM +0200, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=68
>
> Great start. What I'd love to see is the community working together on
> ARIA docs, samples & tutorials, perhaps in a wiki.

I'll need some of these in order to prepare a presentation that I've
volunteered to give at a local Linux user's group. I may also submit it as a
proposal to a Linux or free software/open-source conference.

I plan to cover Orca, Firefox 3, Aria, Axsjax, and mention other important
projects such as Fire Vox. The underlying theme will be that of an
accessibility API, demonstrating how it is used in Orca and how the concept
has been extended to client-side Web user interfaces coded in Javascript.

The problem is that I don't know Javascript myself, but I'll try to find the
time to understand a few code examples before presenting this material in
public. I've read relevant parts of the Orca source code, as well as the Orca
architecture document, and I'm fairly familiar with the history of this
technology, having been involved in the relevant standardization processes
from early days, especially W3C working groups.

This presentation is likely to be captured on video. If this happens (some
time later in the year), I'll send you a reference to the video file via this
mailing list.

My presentation at Linux.conf.au 2008, covering speech and braille interfaces
under Linux, is available at the http://linux.conf.au/ Web site. Since it is
very much an overview of most of the projects taking place in this area, Orca
receives only a brief introduction, and Firefox isn't discussed in detail.
This shortcoming is intended to be remedied in my forthcoming talk, which will
be decisively focused on the Web.

Re: ARIA tutorial series started by Paciello Group

David Bolter
Hi Aaron,

I agree that this is nice to see, and that we should all work together
as much as we can.

A wiki makes the most sense to me. I'll follow up with a related post.

cheers,
David

Jason White wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:23:38AM +0200, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>
>> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/?p=68
>>
>> Great start. What I'd love to see is the community working together on
>> ARIA docs, samples&  tutorials, perhaps in a wiki.
>>

> I'll need some of these in order to prepare a presentation that I've
> volunteered to give at a local Linux user's group. I may also submit it as a
> proposal to a Linux or free software/open-source conference.
>
> I plan to cover Orca, Firefox 3, Aria, Axsjax, and mention other important
> projects such as Fire Vox. The underlying theme will be that of an
> accessibility API, demonstrating how it is used in Orca and how the concept
> has been extended to client-side Web user interfaces coded in Javascript.
>
> The problem is that I don't know Javascript myself, but I'll try to find the
> time to understand a few code examples before presenting this material in
> public. I've read relevant parts of the Orca source code, as well as the Orca
> architecture document, and I'm fairly familiar with the history of this
> technology, having been involved in the relevant standardization processes
> from early days, especially W3C working groups.
>
> This presentation is likely to be captured on video. If this happens (some
> time later in the year), I'll send you a reference to the video file via this
> mailing list.
>
> My presentation at Linux.conf.au 2008, covering speech and braille interfaces
> under Linux, is available at the http://linux.conf.au/ Web site. Since it is
> very much an overview of most of the projects taking place in this area, Orca
> receives only a brief introduction, and Firefox isn't discussed in detail.
> This shortcoming is intended to be remedied in my forthcoming talk, which will
> be decisively focused on the Web.

This sounds great!

Can we agree to share all these resources under some friendly
attribution license?

Maybe this: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/  ?

cheers,
David