AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

1234 ... 8

AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

PhillipJones
Just received a note from Computerworld.
AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
will cease as of 2-28-2008.

Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.

On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.

Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
with out the use of UASWitcher.

I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Jay Garcia
On 28.12.2007 16:54, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Just received a note from Computerworld.
> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>
> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>
> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>
> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>
> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.

Let's put this in the proper perspective. AOL did NOT terminate
Netscape. It was the Netscape Director, Tom Drapeau, that decided it was
time to end production. AOL did play a role by not providing the proper
funding but it was not their decision.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Terry R.
The date and time was 12/28/2007 2:54 PM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

> Just received a note from Computerworld.
> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>
> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>
> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>
> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>
> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.

Phillip,

Once again you're jumping the gun.  Netscape's demise won't give any
reason for sites to be less compliant.

Your Alltel issue is due to lazy webmasters, that's all.  Years ago I
had a lot of sites that wouldn't work in NS/Moz.  Cingular, bank sites,
all kinds.  Now there's only one that I'm aware of (Windows Update).
And rendering of a website doesn't have anything to do with a PC or Mac.
  Alltel is just being lazy.

You should stop your PC/Mac comparisons and your hatred towards Windows.
  I don't have any issues working with Windows.  Of course there will be
problems, but I figure them out.  Trust me, Mac users have issues also.
  Most of the time I turn it on and I get my work done.  As millions of
others do.  Some people get work done one way, and others another way.
If you like a Mac and it does everything you need, great.  But there's a
lot of things "I" couldn't do on a Mac that I need to, so I use a PC.
Now that there's a couple ways to run Windows on the new Mac's, that may
change someday if the price is competitive.  But I build all my machines
and I don't see Apple allowing that any time in the near future.

--
Terry R.

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Robert Blair-2
On 12/28/2007 2:54 PM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Just received a note from Computerworld.
> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>
> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>
> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>
> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>
> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.

The last time I logged UA strings from visits to my Web pages (May
2007), AOL's own IE-based browser showed fewer hits (51) than Safari
(85).  Netscape showed fewer hits (8) than Opera (29).  Gecko-based
browsers showed 549 hits (504 of them from Firefox).  These were from
2949 total hits, including from search engine bots; 1927 of the hits
were from recognizable browsers (browsers whose UA strings could be used
to determine the brand of browser).

I draw two conclusions:

1.  A business decision was made that Netscape has too little share of
the browser market to justify further funding.  It may not be long
before AOL terminates its own IE-based browser for the same reason.

2.  The total market share held by Gecko-based browsers (30%-40%,
depending on who is measuring) is substantial enough that the loss of
Netscape will not impact the need for Web sites to be compatible with
Gecko-based browsers.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Blinky the Shark

Jay Garcia wrote:

<snip>

Interesting links on the Netscape Blog page for this story.

http://blog.netscape.com/2007/12/28/end-of-support-for-netscape-web-browsers/

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/netscapeblog.jpg

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Interesting, all I wrote was <snip> :-)

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 12/28/2007 8:16 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 28.12.2007 20:53, Blinky the Shark wrote:

That's a waste of bandwidth Jay!

--
Irwin

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Leonidas Jones-2
Irwin Greenwald wrote:
> On 12/28/2007 8:16 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 28.12.2007 20:53, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Hey, I've got an idea for a great time saver.

Lee
--
<snip>

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Michael-369
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T replied On 12/28/2007 4:54 PM

> Just received a note from Computerworld.
> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>
> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>
> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>
> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>
> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.

Phillip,

If you read the AOL Blog they state that further support for Netscape
products will end, and they also fully support FireFox as the browser of
choice.

In addition the latest news from Redmond, WA is that Internet Explorer 8
will be fully compatible with current web standards including the "Acid
Test 2".
http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

Even SeaMonkey fails on this one.

With these two above coming soon pressure will be placed on lazy web
developers to cleanup their act or find a dumpster in an ally for shelter.

Michael

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Michael-369
Jay Garcia replied On 12/28/2007 5:09 PM

> On 28.12.2007 16:54, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

Would there be a possibility that AOL could pickup SeaMonkey to replace
their Netscape Suite?

Michael

On 12/28/2007 10:07 PM, Michael wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T replied On 12/28/2007 4:54 PM
>
>> Just received a note from Computerworld.
>> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
>> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>>
>> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
>> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
>> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>>
>> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
>> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
>> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
>> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
>> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>>
>> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
>> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
>> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
>> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
>> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>>
>> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
>> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
>> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
>> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.
>
> Phillip,
>
> If you read the AOL Blog they state that further support for Netscape
> products will end, and they also fully support FireFox as the browser of
> choice.
>
> In addition the latest news from Redmond, WA is that Internet Explorer 8
> will be fully compatible with current web standards including the "Acid
> Test 2".
> http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
>
> Even SeaMonkey fails on this one.
>
> With these two above coming soon pressure will be placed on lazy web
> developers to cleanup their act or find a dumpster in an ally for shelter.
>
> Michael

Actually, there has been some discussion in the public W3C CSS Working
Group forum that sounds as if IE 8 might comply with the HTML and CSS
specifications only if the user selects compliance.  The default might
be not to "break" non-compliant Web pages.  Of course, I may have
misinterpreted the discussions.  In any case, all this remains in to be
determined in the future.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 28.12.2007 20:53, Blinky the Shark wrote:

I hate it when TB does that to me.  If Thunderbirds had ears, I'd box
'em.  Thanks for not giving me the shit I give noobs when they do that
(repeatedly!).  :)

Anyway, I was surprised to see those two links.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

Daniel-24
Michael wrote:

> Jay Garcia replied On 12/28/2007 5:09 PM
>
>> On 28.12.2007 16:54, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

I'm guessing the SeaMonkey Council would be glad to accept the $$$ that
AOL was going to provide to Netscape.

Daniel

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

squaredancer
On 29.12.2007 05:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :

> On 28.12.2007 20:53, Blinky the Shark wrote:

did you study economics, by any chance of fate?? :-P

reg

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

squaredancer
On 29.12.2007 07:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Michael to
generate the following:? :

> Jay Garcia replied On 12/28/2007 5:09 PM
>

>> On 28.12.2007 16:54, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

wait 2-3 months and you'll see the take-over of Moz by AOL.
Few weeks after that, you'll see AOL drop Moz.
Maybe, in *very small print* you'll see someplace, that AOL is (as was
long suspectec) financed by / belongs to M$-Google-CIA

reg

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

squaredancer
On 29.12.2007 07:07, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Michael to
generate the following:? :

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T replied On 12/28/2007 4:54 PM
>

>> Just received a note from Computerworld.
>> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
>> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>>
>> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
>> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
>> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>>
>> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
>> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
>> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
>> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
>> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>>
>> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
>> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
>> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
>> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
>> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>>
>> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
>> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
>> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
>> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.
>>

> Phillip,
>
> If you read the AOL Blog they state that further support for Netscape
> products will end, and they also fully support FireFox as the browser of
> choice.
>
> In addition the latest news from Redmond, WA is that Internet Explorer 8
> will be fully compatible with current web standards including the "Acid
> Test 2".
> http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
>
> Even SeaMonkey fails on this one.
>
> With these two above coming soon pressure will be placed on lazy web
> developers to cleanup their act or find a dumpster in an ally for shelter.
>
> Michael

and *when* does M$ plan to put IE8 on the market ??  2012, 2015, 2020 ??

reg

On 29.12.2007 00:07, Michael wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T replied On 12/28/2007 4:54 PM
>
>> Just received a note from Computerworld.
>> AOL Just put a Stake in Netscape and all work including Security update
>> will cease as of 2-28-2008.
>>
>> Now there will be lease reason for websites to make sites W3C compliant
>> so Mozilla products can work. I already have problem with Suntrust, and
>> ALLTEL and they will be less interested to fix the problems.
>>
>> On Alltel the is one section that will let you change your plan options
>> by use of the website. Problem is That section requires use of IE6 or
>> greater. Problem is Gates deep-sixed the Mac version at 5.2.3. I go back
>> a nice note from support say because their wasn't enough Mac's using
>> alltel website it was worth there time to fix the problem.
>>
>> Problem is ALLTEL has the best cell phone service in this area and if I
>> were to leave my service would suffer. So I have no choice but to stick
>> with them. I've already recounted my problems with Suntrust they have
>> way fixed the problem by fixing so Firefox would work but not Seamonkey
>> with out the use of UASWitcher.
>>
>> I believe we are fighting a losing battle. But I'll be d%^& if I am
>> going to the other side. I'm going to dig my heels in deeper. I had to
>> deal with MS and windows when I worked for the school system and to say
>> it was a PIA would be putting I mildly.
>
> Phillip,
>
> If you read the AOL Blog they state that further support for Netscape
> products will end, and they also fully support FireFox as the browser of
> choice.
>
> In addition the latest news from Redmond, WA is that Internet Explorer 8
> will be fully compatible with current web standards including the "Acid
> Test 2".
> http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
>
> Even SeaMonkey fails on this one.
>
> With these two above coming soon pressure will be placed on lazy web
> developers to cleanup their act or find a dumpster in an ally for shelter.
>
> Michael

"Chicken Little" syndrome at best!

On 29.12.2007 00:09, Michael wrote:

> Jay Garcia replied On 12/28/2007 5:09 PM
>
>> On 28.12.2007 16:54, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

Why would they terminate Netscape production to pick up Seamonkey, makes
no sense.

On 29.12.2007 05:41, Daniel wrote:

> I'm guessing the SeaMonkey Council would be glad to accept the $$$ that
> AOL was going to provide to Netscape.

Uhh .. yah .. ZERO $$$

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: AOL to put the Kibosh on Netscape

»Q«
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:47:06 -0800
"David E. Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, there has been some discussion in the public W3C CSS Working
> Group forum that sounds as if IE 8 might comply with the HTML and CSS
> specifications only if the user selects compliance.  The default might
> be not to "break" non-compliant Web pages.  Of course, I may have
> misinterpreted the discussions.  In any case, all this remains in to
> be determined in the future.

I think this was cleared up in a couple of IE blogs and interviews.  In
order to put IE8 into "really standards mode" or whatever they call it,
website authors will have to add a new meta tag.  Without that tag, IE8
will continue to render more or less as IE7 does.
1234 ... 8