[ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Axel Hecht
Hi all,

welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.

As I mentioned in the thread "Mercurial update", the following locales
have the repositories set up:

af ar be ca cs da de el en-GB es-AR es-ES eu fi fr fy-NL ga-IE gu-IN he
hu id it ja ja-JP-mac ka ko ku lt mk mn nb-NO nl nn-NO pa-IN pl pt-BR
pt-PT ro ru sk sq sr sv-SE tr uk zh-CN zh-TW

The status of those repositories is that of

August 7th 2008, 12:00:00 GMT (that's noon for us europeans)

And yes, I waited for a good timestamp in GMT timezone :-)

The only thing I did after that was landing the help removal patches.

That helped me to get the dashboard working, you can see your comparison
results on http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/ if you select the fx31x
tree. That is, if your locale code is 'he' and higher, the others have
the same compare-locales output, but fell victim to my debugging
experiments.

I'm filing bugs on all other locales to give us good timestamps to
migrate over.

For documentation, I'll be working on it, really. I want those that feel
comfortable with getting along with hg to not have to wait on me doing
that, so I'm opening the repos before the docs are done. The initial
setup is at http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/L10n_on_Mercurial, feel
free to poke #l10n and #hg with questions, and use the discussion page
on mdc to point out to missing pieces. There are some docs linked from
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mercurial, which are overall
useful, too.

The best news last, Firefox 3.1 as of now is 25 strings. :-)

Axel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

flod
Hi Axel,
some questions ;-)

1) http://hg.mozilla.org/
Is there a reason why l10n-central is missing?

2) How can I track commits to my locale?
With CVS I used http://bonsai-l10n.mozilla.org/, for Mercurial?

Francesco

flod (Francesco Lodolo) wrote:
> Hi Axel,
> some questions ;-)
>
> 1) http://hg.mozilla.org/
> Is there a reason why l10n-central is missing?

Yes, Aravind has more patches to that page, and he's on vacation.

> 2) How can I track commits to my locale?
> With CVS I used http://bonsai-l10n.mozilla.org/, for Mercurial?

There's a pushlog and pushloghtml for each locale,
http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/it/index.cgi/pushlog and
http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/it/index.cgi/htmlpushlog

Axel Hecht ha scritto:
> There's a pushlog and pushloghtml for each locale,
> http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/it/index.cgi/pushlog and
> http://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/it/index.cgi/htmlpushlog
Ok, seems that my setup with Mozilla Translator+TortoiseHg works fine ;-)

Thanks,
Francesco.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Filip Miletic-4
Axel Hecht schreef:
> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.
Axel, does this mean that we should ditch the current CVS repos for the
locales, and go Mercurial?

Or does it mean something else, e.g. that the patch work for FF 3.0.x
goes to the CVS, and the rest to the Mercurial repos?

> August 7th 2008, 12:00:00 GMT (that's noon for us europeans)
> And yes, I waited for a good timestamp in GMT timezone :-)
In retrospect, it may have been better to take August 8, 2008 at 08:08
(i.e. 08. 08. 08, 08:08).  But hey, who's complaining?

Filip Miletic wrote:
> Axel Hecht schreef:
>> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.
> Axel, does this mean that we should ditch the current CVS repos for the
> locales, and go Mercurial?

Not this ...

> Or does it mean something else, e.g. that the patch work for FF 3.0.x
> goes to the CVS, and the rest to the Mercurial repos?

... but this.

>> August 7th 2008, 12:00:00 GMT (that's noon for us europeans)
>> And yes, I waited for a good timestamp in GMT timezone :-)
> In retrospect, it may have been better to take August 8, 2008 at 08:08
> (i.e. 08. 08. 08, 08:08).  But hey, who's complaining?

That should tell you how much I care about the olympics so far ;-)

Axel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Marek Stępień-2
Axel Hecht pisze:
> Hi all,
> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.

Will we get tinderboxen, too? :)

--
Marek Stepien

Marek Stępień wrote:
> Axel Hecht pisze:
>> Hi all,
>> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.
>
> Will we get tinderboxen, too? :)

Hopefully. I don't have a timeline, though.

Axel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Axel Hecht escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.
>
> As I mentioned in the thread "Mercurial update", the following locales
> have the repositories set up: (...)

One question, probably more intended to be answered by Simon Paquet
and/or Robert Kaiser. Any special instructions for SeaMonkey,
Thunderbird, Calendar, ChatZilla, etc.?

I've been reading [1] and I understand that, at least at this moment,
we would need to duplicate the complete mozilla-central checkout just
to get Calendar and ChatZilla locales. Any plan to change this (ie.,
to integrate Calendar and SM-shipped extensions into Hg)?

[1]
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Comm-central_source_code_%28Mercurial%29

> For documentation, I'll be working on it, really. I want those that feel
> comfortable with getting along with hg to not have to wait on me doing
> that, so I'm opening the repos before the docs are done. The initial
> setup is at http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/L10n_on_Mercurial, feel
> free to poke #l10n and #hg with questions, and use the discussion page
> on mdc to point out to missing pieces. There are some docs linked from
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mercurial, which are overall
> useful, too.

Not really related to Hg, but in compare-locales doc [2], in the
Running it section, you instruct to look for l10n.ini in the dir to
compare (you don't really say this, but the example suggests it). It
would be better to clearly state than you can't only use brower and
toolkit directories (or whichever else), since other directories like,
for example, dom/locales/ doesn't have any l10n.ini.

[2] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Compare-locales

Other than that, Hg needs some more commands to perform the same
operations than CVS (hg commit, hg push vs. cvs commit), but
everything seems to run smoothly for me. :-)

Ricardo

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Simon Paquet-3
Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:

>> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.
>>
>> As I mentioned in the thread "Mercurial update", the following locales
>> have the repositories set up: (...)
>

>One question, probably more intended to be answered by Simon Paquet
>and/or Robert Kaiser. Any special instructions for SeaMonkey,
>Thunderbird, Calendar, ChatZilla, etc.?
>
>I've been reading [1] and I understand that, at least at this moment,
>we would need to duplicate the complete mozilla-central checkout just
>to get Calendar and ChatZilla locales. Any plan to change this (ie.,
>to integrate Calendar and SM-shipped extensions into Hg)?

Calendar strings are already in the l10n-central repositories. We will
move our development focus to hg after our upcoming 0.9 release.

Therefore every localizer, who has the necessary cycles, should keep the
calendar part in hg in sync with 1.8 branch and the cvs trunk.

Simon Paquet
--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Calendar developer blog:     http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Axel Hecht
Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:

> Axel Hecht escribió:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> welcome to the new and shiny world of hg.
>>
>> As I mentioned in the thread "Mercurial update", the following locales
>> have the repositories set up: (...)
>

> One question, probably more intended to be answered by Simon Paquet
> and/or Robert Kaiser. Any special instructions for SeaMonkey,
> Thunderbird, Calendar, ChatZilla, etc.?
>
> I've been reading [1] and I understand that, at least at this moment,
> we would need to duplicate the complete mozilla-central checkout just
> to get Calendar and ChatZilla locales. Any plan to change this (ie.,
> to integrate Calendar and SM-shipped extensions into Hg)?

Not that I know of. It'd be fun if we could tell configure on
comm-central which mozilla-central to pick.

There is the other way around, though. You can set up a complete
comm-central pull/check-out, and use the mozilla-central clone inside
called "mozilla" for your Firefox work. That's because I'm nice and
didn't hardcode "mozilla-central" nor the path structure anywhere :-)

> [1]
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Comm-central_source_code_%28Mercurial%29
>

>> For documentation, I'll be working on it, really. I want those that feel
>> comfortable with getting along with hg to not have to wait on me doing
>> that, so I'm opening the repos before the docs are done. The initial
>> setup is at http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/L10n_on_Mercurial, feel
>> free to poke #l10n and #hg with questions, and use the discussion page
>> on mdc to point out to missing pieces. There are some docs linked from
>> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mercurial, which are overall
>> useful, too.
>

> Not really related to Hg, but in compare-locales doc [2], in the
> Running it section, you instruct to look for l10n.ini in the dir to
> compare (you don't really say this, but the example suggests it). It
> would be better to clearly state than you can't only use brower and
> toolkit directories (or whichever else), since other directories like,
> for example, dom/locales/ doesn't have any l10n.ini.

I'll think about making that a tad more clear once MDC opens for
contributions again, but I think that you're 90% mislead by your
expectations from compare-locales.pl comparing dirs. The python
compare-locales version never did that.

Clarification might include a note that you can compare two directories
explicitly with compare-dirs (which won't handle filter.py, and thus
might yield a different output).

> [2] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Compare-locales
>
> Other than that, Hg needs some more commands to perform the same
> operations than CVS (hg commit, hg push vs. cvs commit), but
> everything seems to run smoothly for me. :-)

Cool

Axel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] l10n repos are up

Mark Banner-2
Axel Hecht wrote:

> Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:
>> I've been reading [1] and I understand that, at least at this moment,
>> we would need to duplicate the complete mozilla-central checkout just
>> to get Calendar and ChatZilla locales. Any plan to change this (ie.,
>> to integrate Calendar and SM-shipped extensions into Hg)?
>>

> Not that I know of. It'd be fun if we could tell configure on
> comm-central which mozilla-central to pick.
>
> There is the other way around, though. You can set up a complete
> comm-central pull/check-out, and use the mozilla-central clone inside
> called "mozilla" for your Firefox work. That's because I'm nice and
> didn't hardcode "mozilla-central" nor the path structure anywhere :-)

Its probably also worth adding, if you've already got a mozilla-central
clone pulled, then you can create a comm-central clone and before
running client.py, move your mozilla-central clone into a mozilla/
directory inside comm-central, then run client.py to get the other
directories you need for SeaMonkey/Thunderbird.

That way you don't need to pull mozilla-central again if you've already
got it cloned.

Note: running client.py will pull/update mozilla-central, you can
disable this, just run "python client.py" and you'll get the list of
options.

Standard8

Simon Paquet escribió:

> Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:
>> One question, probably more intended to be answered by Simon Paquet
>> and/or Robert Kaiser. Any special instructions for SeaMonkey,
>> Thunderbird, Calendar, ChatZilla, etc.?
>>
>> I've been reading [1] and I understand that, at least at this moment,
>> we would need to duplicate the complete mozilla-central checkout just
>> to get Calendar and ChatZilla locales. Any plan to change this (ie.,
>> to integrate Calendar and SM-shipped extensions into Hg)?
>
> Calendar strings are already in the l10n-central repositories. We will
> move our development focus to hg after our upcoming 0.9 release.

Calendar localized strings are in l10n-central, indeed. I'm actually
referring to en-US calendar strings. IIUC the document at MDC [1],
those are not yet in mozilla-central nor in comm-central.

[1]
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Comm-central_source_code_%28Mercurial%29

As you say that after 0.9, Calendar development will move to hg, that
will be OK for calendar, since it will behave for us just like suite.
ChatZilla and Venkman (maybe others) remain, though, but that's
something for KaiRo. :-)

> Therefore every localizer, who has the necessary cycles, should keep the
> calendar part in hg in sync with 1.8 branch and the cvs trunk.

I must admit that never kept trunk and branches synchronized. If 0.9
is coming from MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH and later development will come from
hg, what's the point of having trunk synchronized, now that even
Thunderbird 3 nightlies are on hg? Just curiosity. :-)

Ricardo

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Axel Hecht escribió:
> There is the other way around, though. You can set up a complete
> comm-central pull/check-out, and use the mozilla-central clone inside
> called "mozilla" for your Firefox work. That's because I'm nice and
> didn't hardcode "mozilla-central" nor the path structure anywhere :-)

Yes, I thought about that, but I feared that you weren't so nice. :-)

> I'll think about making that a tad more clear once MDC opens for
> contributions again, but I think that you're 90% mislead by your
> expectations from compare-locales.pl comparing dirs. The python
> compare-locales version never did that.

Yep, I just started to use the Python version yesterday. I thought it
just had the same interface than the Perl version, just more polished.

>> Other than that, Hg needs some more commands to perform the same
>> operations than CVS (hg commit, hg push vs. cvs commit), but
>> everything seems to run smoothly for me. :-)
>
> Cool

Yeah, I even have done a merge already (some miscommunication between
Guillermo and me). :-)

Ricardo

Ricardo Palomares Martinez wrote:

>> Therefore every localizer, who has the necessary cycles, should keep the
>> calendar part in hg in sync with 1.8 branch and the cvs trunk.
>
>I must admit that never kept trunk and branches synchronized. If 0.9
>is coming from MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH and later development will come from
>hg, what's the point of having trunk synchronized, now that even
>Thunderbird 3 nightlies are on hg? Just curiosity. :-)

You're right. My mistake. Keeping the cvs trunk up-to-date is useless as
long as you keep the 1.8 branch up-to-date, because you will need that to
easily migrate your localization over to hg.

Simon Paquet