AES_XCBC?

Andrew Cagney
I'm looking at implementing AES_XCBC using NSS.  That is:

AES-XCBC-MAC-96: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3566#section-4
AES-XCBC-MAC-PRF: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4434

(the latter adds a recursive rule for building a fixed size key from a
variable key)

reading NSS's "documentation", I've turned up AES_MAC, but I'm
guessing that that is just implementing the primitive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC-MAC using AES.

Is there anything else, or will I be needing to implement things by
wrapping this primitive? (and if so, was there a test I could look at
for the existing code?)

Andrew

Re: AES_XCBC?

Mozilla - Cryptography mailing list
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 7:51:13 PM UTC+5, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> I'm looking at implementing AES_XCBC using NSS.  That is:
>
> AES-XCBC-MAC-96: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3566#section-4
> AES-XCBC-MAC-PRF: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4434
>
> (the latter adds a recursive rule for building a fixed size key from a
> variable key)
>
> reading NSS's "documentation", I've turned up AES_MAC, but I'm
> guessing that that is just implementing the primitive
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC-MAC using AES.
>
> Is there anything else, or will I be needing to implement things by
> wrapping this primitive? (and if so, was there a test I could look at
> for the existing code?)
>
> Andrew

What version of NSS are you targeting ?
I dont think that currently NSS has support of this XCBC, so you'll have to do changes and then compile ?
Whats your scenario? I mean are you going to use this cihersuite for ipsec application ?

Re: AES_XCBC?

Paul Wouters
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, f masood via dev-tech-crypto wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 7:51:13 PM UTC+5, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>> I'm looking at implementing AES_XCBC using NSS.  That is:
>>
>> AES-XCBC-MAC-96: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3566#section-4
>> AES-XCBC-MAC-PRF: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4434
>>
>> (the latter adds a recursive rule for building a fixed size key from a
>> variable key)
>>
>> reading NSS's "documentation", I've turned up AES_MAC, but I'm
>> guessing that that is just implementing the primitive
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC-MAC using AES.
>>
>> Is there anything else, or will I be needing to implement things by
>> wrapping this primitive? (and if so, was there a test I could look at
>> for the existing code?)
>>
>> Andrew
>
> What version of NSS are you targeting ?

Libreswan can handle something not being available in some versions of
NSS. If it is not supported, we'd like the support to be added to a new
version of NSS.

> I dont think that currently NSS has support of this XCBC, so you'll have to do changes and then compile ?

It's fine for libreswan to not support it if support is missing in NSS.

> Whats your scenario? I mean are you going to use this cihersuite for ipsec application ?

It will be used as IKE algorithm. IPsec (ESP) crypto is handled by the
kernel.

Paul

Re: AES_XCBC?

Mozilla - Cryptography mailing list
can you elaborate why you're focusing on NSS not OPENSSL for this task ?

Re: AES_XCBC?

Andrew Cagney
 Because Variety is the spice of life