[ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Dave Miller-2
It should be no secret these days that the Mozilla Foundation and its
related projects are no longer a pet project of Netscape, yet the
newsgroups we are using for public discussions still bear the Netscape
name.  We've been planning for years to move from
netscape.public.mozilla.* to just mozilla.*, and the time has finally
come!

In August, we announced a partnership with Giganews Newsgroups
(http://www.giganews.com/) to provide NNTP services for our
news.mozilla.org domain.  It's taken a few months of planning to make
it happen, but we're now in the process of moving all of those
newsgroups over to the new hierarchy.

For general information and frequently asked questions about the move
to the new news and list servers, see
http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html

This group will be moving to a new newsgroup and new mailing list:

Old newsgroup: netscape.public.mozilla.os2
New newsgroup: mozilla.dev.ports.os2

Old mailing list: [hidden email]
New mailing list: [hidden email]

When is it moving?

This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
compress the schedule somewhat.

What do you need to do to maintain your subscriptions?

If you read this newsgroup via NNTP, you will need to change your
subscriptions manually after today to point at mozilla.dev.ports.os2.
Please note that at this time, these newsgroups will NOT be propagated
to Usenet in general, so you must be using news.mozilla.org to access
them (see the FAQ link near the top of this message).

If you read this list via the email list, your subscription will
automatically be moved for you to the new mailing list.  You may need
to adjust your mail filters if you filter your list mail.

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, and aren't answered
in the above FAQ, please ask in the mozilla.dev.mozilla-org newsgroup
or on the [hidden email] mailing list
(https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-mozilla-org)

--
Dave Miller, System Administrator
Mozilla Corporation - http://www.mozilla.com/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Dave Miller-2
In article <180120062231070847%[hidden email]>, Dave Miller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
> January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
> compress the schedule somewhat.

This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.

--
Dave
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mozilla-os2 is moving!

Mark Klebanoff
I access this group via browser interface to Google Groups.  Will I be
able to keep doing that?

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Stan Goodman
In reply to this post by Dave Miller-2
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:55:24 UTC, Dave Miller <[hidden email]>
opined:
> In article <180120062231070847%[hidden email]>, Dave Miller
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
> > January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
> > compress the schedule somewhat.
>
> This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
> sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.
 
From your timestamp, I assume that when you say "morning", you refer
to UTC. It's now 1700UTC. What is the present estimate of the time of
the switch, and in what timezone?
 
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel
 
"The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
peace process in its previous form."  -- Marwan Barghouti,
Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Felix Miata-2
On 06/01/19 12:05 Stan Goodman apparently typed:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:55:24 UTC, Dave Miller <[hidden email]>  opined:
>> In article <180120062231070847%[hidden email]>, Dave Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
>> > January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
>> > compress the schedule somewhat.

>> This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
>> sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.

> From your timestamp, I assume that when you say "morning", you refer
> to UTC. It's now 1700UTC. What is the present estimate of the time of
> the switch, and in what timezone?

It already exists as of roughly 10 hours ago. Doesn't look like he got to
the move yet.
http://chameleon.mozilla.org/~justdave/temp/news-status.html
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mozilla-os2 is moving!

Felix Miata-2
In reply to this post by Mark Klebanoff
On 06/01/19 06:09 [hidden email] apparently typed:

> I access this group via browser interface to Google Groups.  Will I be
> able to keep doing that?

Looks that way: http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Stan Goodman
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-2
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:12:20 UTC, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> opined:

> On 06/01/19 12:05 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
>
> > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:55:24 UTC, Dave Miller <[hidden email]>  opined:
> >> In article <180120062231070847%[hidden email]>, Dave Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> > This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
> >> > January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
> >> > compress the schedule somewhat.
>
> >> This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
> >> sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.
>
> > From your timestamp, I assume that when you say "morning", you refer
> > to UTC. It's now 1700UTC. What is the present estimate of the time of
> > the switch, and in what timezone?
>
> It already exists as of roughly 10 hours ago. Doesn't look like he got to
> the move yet.
> http://chameleon.mozilla.org/~justdave/temp/news-status.html
 
Then I don't understand what I see. I have added the server
<news.mozilla.org> to the server list in Pronews/2, and obtained a
list of All Groups on it. The list looks a lot like the list from Jack
Troughton's server (which hasn't been on my PN/2 for a long time). It
contains, among other things, a folder of Netscape groups, but no
Mozilla folder anywhere.
 
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel
 
"The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
peace process in its previous form."  -- Marwan Barghouti,
Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Michael DeBusk
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-2
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:12:20 -0500, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  It already exists as of roughly 10 hours ago. Doesn't look like he
>  got to the move yet.
>  http://chameleon.mozilla.org/~justdave/temp/news-status.html

That Web page shows it's "up next" here, which, to me, implies it
hasn't been done yet. My attempts to get new newsgroups from
news.mozilla.org are fruitless as well.

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mozilla-os2 is moving!

PGAGA
Thursday, January 19, 2006

I am currently tracking both the old and new sites using Polarbar
Mailer.  So far there is only one message on the new site.  It's number
count is 2 as compared to the old site which has a number count of
14308.

Phil

_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Leo Tick
In reply to this post by Michael DeBusk
Michael DeBusk wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:12:20 -0500, Felix Miata
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> It already exists as of roughly 10 hours ago. Doesn't look like he
>> got to the move yet.
>> http://chameleon.mozilla.org/~justdave/temp/news-status.html
>
>
> That Web page shows it's "up next" here, which, to me, implies it
> hasn't been done yet. My attempts to get new newsgroups from
> news.mozilla.org are fruitless as well.
>
did you do a "refresh"?
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Allodoxaphobia
In reply to this post by Dave Miller-2
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:31:07 -0500, Dave Miller wrote:
>
> If you read this newsgroup via NNTP, you will need to change your
> subscriptions manually after today to point at mozilla.dev.ports.os2.
> Please note that at this time, these newsgroups will NOT be propagated
> to Usenet in general, so you must be using news.mozilla.org to access
> them (see the FAQ link near the top of this message).

This trend of each of The Things I Am Interested In moving off usenet
and over to private newsservers is almost as much as a PITA as
Google's attempt to subsume unset, itself.

Jonesy - a PITA, himself
--
  Marvin L Jones     | jonz         | W3DHJ  |  linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @           | Jonesy |   OS/2     __
    38.24N  104.55W  |   config.com | DM78rf |            SK
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Ian Johnston
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:02:22 UTC, Allodoxaphobia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

: This trend of each of The Things I Am Interested In moving off usenet
: and over to private newsservers is almost as much as a PITA as
: Google's attempt to subsume unset, itself.

Though my news service seems quite happy to keep on with this
newsgroup. If enough of us use it, perhaps it will survive.

Ian
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

William L. Hartzell
In reply to this post by Stan Goodman
Sir:

Stan Goodman wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:12:20 UTC, Felix Miata
> <[hidden email]> opined:
>> On 06/01/19 12:05 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
>>
>>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:55:24 UTC, Dave Miller <[hidden email]>  opined:
>>>> In article <180120062231070847%[hidden email]>, Dave Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>> This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
>>>>> January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
>>>>> compress the schedule somewhat.
>>>> This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
>>>> sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.
>>> From your timestamp, I assume that when you say "morning", you refer
>>> to UTC. It's now 1700UTC. What is the present estimate of the time of
>>> the switch, and in what timezone?
>> It already exists as of roughly 10 hours ago. Doesn't look like he got to
>> the move yet.
>> http://chameleon.mozilla.org/~justdave/temp/news-status.html
>  
> Then I don't understand what I see. I have added the server
> <news.mozilla.org> to the server list in Pronews/2, and obtained a
> list of All Groups on it. The list looks a lot like the list from Jack
> Troughton's server (which hasn't been on my PN/2 for a long time). It
> contains, among other things, a folder of Netscape groups, but no
> Mozilla folder anywhere.
>  
Since I subscribe to netscape.public.mozilla.os2 via the mozilla.org
server, I just added mozilla.dev.ports.os2 to the list of newsgroups
that I subscribe, in my Changi newsgroup server.  At the present time,
mozilla.org newsgroups is hyphenated, the old ones are on the netscape
server, the others are on Giganews servers.  Whenever they become
active, the new ones, it is up to the network bind servers to resolve
the location.  I did it that away because these newsgroups were not
always available via Usenet or Google.  In the future they won't be
available via Usenet.  We all know that if we don't change soon,
Netscape will disappear us.

Suggestion to all, dual post your postings.  Go ahead to subscribe to
the new newsgroup.  When it happens, it will happen and you'll be covered.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

William L. Hartzell
In reply to this post by Ian Johnston
Sir:

Ian Johnston wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:02:22 UTC, Allodoxaphobia
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> : This trend of each of The Things I Am Interested In moving off usenet
> : and over to private newsservers is almost as much as a PITA as
> : Google's attempt to subsume unset, itself.
>
> Though my news service seems quite happy to keep on with this
> newsgroup. If enough of us use it, perhaps it will survive.
>

You must realize that there has to be a host server somewhere for these
news articles to exist.  That server belongs to AOL, who owns Netscape.
  AOL has indicated that they wish to discontinue this service.  When
that happens, you will not see any news articles being propagated to
anywhere.  The fact that Usenet is mirroring them, is besides the point.
  This newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.os2, is not a usenet newsgroup.
  Nor is its replacement, mozilla.dev.ports.os2.  Get over it.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Ian Johnston
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:11:02 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

: This newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.os2, is not a usenet newsgroup.
:   Nor is its replacement, mozilla.dev.ports.os2.  Get over it.

You point is interesting, but is it necessary to be quite so abrasive?

Ian
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Ian Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:11:02 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> : This newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.os2, is not a usenet newsgroup.
> :   Nor is its replacement, mozilla.dev.ports.os2.  Get over it.
>
> You point is interesting, but is it necessary to be quite so abrasive?
>

Sorry.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Dave Miller-2
In reply to this post by Felix Miata-2
In article <[hidden email]>, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/01/19 12:05 Stan Goodman apparently typed:
>
> > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:55:24 UTC, Dave Miller <[hidden email]>
> > opined:
> >> In article <180120062231070847%[hidden email]>, Dave Miller
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> > This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
> >> > January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
> >> > compress the schedule somewhat.
>
> >> This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
> >> sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.
>
> > From your timestamp, I assume that when you say "morning", you refer
> > to UTC. It's now 1700UTC. What is the present estimate of the time of
> > the switch, and in what timezone?
>
> It already exists as of roughly 10 hours ago. Doesn't look like he got to
> the move yet.
> http://chameleon.mozilla.org/~justdave/temp/news-status.html

Yeah, I didn't, had a number of things come up this morning that
stalled it again...  The best of intentions and whatnot.  I'm about to
dive into it again...  you guys are about 5 or 6 down the list, and
they take about a half hour each, so it's probably three or four hours
off yet.  The new newsgroup is there, the mailing list just hasn't
moved to gateway to it yet.

--
Dave
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

inkleputDEL
In reply to this post by William L. Hartzell

"William L. Hartzell" <[hidden email]> said:

>Suggestion to all, dual post your postings.  Go ahead to subscribe to
>the new newsgroup.  When it happens, it will happen and you'll be
>covered.

I'm having trouble following all this - too much information.  Do you
mean "subscribe to the new news group" or "the new news server"?  Both?

Will my current setup one day soon just stop getting the articles it has
been getting?

Jim L via the eCS 1.15 version of OS/2

--
Mo: Who is da best politishuns, 'Publicans or demacrats?
Gizmo: Dey is all da same pardy, PublicRats.
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Michael DeBusk
In reply to this post by Leo Tick
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:04:08 -0500, Leo Tick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  did you do a "refresh"?

Yes.

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-os2 is moving!

Michael DeBusk
In reply to this post by Leo Tick
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:04:08 -0500, Leo Tick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  did you do a "refresh"?

I just answered "Yes". I refreshed again and found it. All seems to be
well. Only five posts in it, though.

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
12