[ADMIN] mozilla-general is moving!

Dave Miller-2
It should be no secret these days that the Mozilla Foundation and its
related projects are no longer a pet project of Netscape, yet the
newsgroups we are using for public discussions still bear the Netscape
name.  We've been planning for years to move from
netscape.public.mozilla.* to just mozilla.*, and the time has finally
come!

In August, we announced a partnership with Giganews Newsgroups
(http://www.giganews.com/) to provide NNTP services for our
news.mozilla.org domain.  It's taken a few months of planning to make
it happen, but we're now in the process of moving all of those
newsgroups over to the new hierarchy.

For general information and frequently asked questions about the move
to the new news and list servers, see
http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html

This group will be moving to a new newsgroup and new mailing list:

Old newsgroup: netscape.public.mozilla.general
New newsgroup: mozilla.general

Old mailing list: [hidden email]
New mailing list: [hidden email]

When is it moving?

This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
compress the schedule somewhat.

What do you need to do to maintain your subscriptions?

If you read this newsgroup via NNTP, you will need to change your
subscriptions manually after today to point at mozilla.general.  Please
note that at this time, these newsgroups will NOT be propagated to
Usenet in general, so you must be using news.mozilla.org to access them
(see the FAQ link near the top of this message).

If you read this list via the email list, your subscription will
automatically be moved for you to the new mailing list.  You may need
to adjust your mail filters if you filter your list mail.

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, and aren't answered
in the above FAQ, please ask in the mozilla.dev.mozilla-org newsgroup
or on the [hidden email] mailing list
(https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-mozilla-org)

--
Dave Miller, System Administrator
Mozilla Corporation - http://www.mozilla.com/

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-general is moving!

Ray Booysen
Dave Miller wrote:

> It should be no secret these days that the Mozilla Foundation and its
> related projects are no longer a pet project of Netscape, yet the
> newsgroups we are using for public discussions still bear the Netscape
> name.  We've been planning for years to move from
> netscape.public.mozilla.* to just mozilla.*, and the time has finally
> come!
>
> In August, we announced a partnership with Giganews Newsgroups
> (http://www.giganews.com/) to provide NNTP services for our
> news.mozilla.org domain.  It's taken a few months of planning to make
> it happen, but we're now in the process of moving all of those
> newsgroups over to the new hierarchy.
>
> For general information and frequently asked questions about the move
> to the new news and list servers, see
> http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html
>
> This group will be moving to a new newsgroup and new mailing list:
>
> Old newsgroup: netscape.public.mozilla.general
> New newsgroup: mozilla.general
>
> Old mailing list: [hidden email]
> New mailing list: [hidden email]
>
> When is it moving?
>
> This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
> January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
> compress the schedule somewhat.
>
> What do you need to do to maintain your subscriptions?
>
> If you read this newsgroup via NNTP, you will need to change your
> subscriptions manually after today to point at mozilla.general.  Please
> note that at this time, these newsgroups will NOT be propagated to
> Usenet in general, so you must be using news.mozilla.org to access them
> (see the FAQ link near the top of this message).
>
> If you read this list via the email list, your subscription will
> automatically be moved for you to the new mailing list.  You may need
> to adjust your mail filters if you filter your list mail.
>
> If you have any questions that aren't answered here, and aren't answered
> in the above FAQ, please ask in the mozilla.dev.mozilla-org newsgroup
> or on the [hidden email] mailing list
> (https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-mozilla-org)

Hi Dave

Thanks for the heads up!  Will we be seeing any better performance from
the move?  Especially with the mailing list gateway?

Regards
Ray

--
Ray Booysen

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-general is moving!

Dave Miller-2
In article <[hidden email]>, Ray
Booysen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave Miller wrote:
> > This group will be moving to a new newsgroup and new mailing list:
>
> Thanks for the heads up!  Will we be seeing any better performance from
> the move?  Especially with the mailing list gateway?

Sure hope so. :)  New and improved version of Mailman, faster box, etc.
:)

> > This group will be moving sometime later this evening (Wednesday,
> > January 18).  I apoligize for the short notice, I wound up having to
> > compress the schedule somewhat.

This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.

--
Dave

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-general is moving!

NightStalker
In article <190120060545415220%[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] says...

> This has been delayed a little because we got a late start and I need
> sleep.  It'll happen some time in the morning on the 19th now.

No mozilla.xxx groups are yet showing up on GigaNews Premium Service.
Just did a "get new groups" and new ones not yet there.  Also checked
existing groups - nothing.  Only the netscape.xxx lot are there.

Any idea when GigaNews will be updated to carry the new groups?

--

NightStalker

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-general is moving!

Chris Ilias
_NightStalker_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2006 6:39 AM:
> No mozilla.xxx groups are yet showing up on GigaNews Premium Service.
> Just did a "get new groups" and new ones not yet there.  Also checked
> existing groups - nothing.  Only the netscape.xxx lot are there.
>
> Any idea when GigaNews will be updated to carry the new groups?

The mozilla.* groups are not open via news.giganews.com. You need to use
news.mozilla.org.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>

Re: [ADMIN] mozilla-general is moving!

NightStalker
In article <[hidden email]>, 20050708
@ilias.ca says...

> _NightStalker_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2006 6:39 AM:
> > No mozilla.xxx groups are yet showing up on GigaNews Premium Service.
> > Just did a "get new groups" and new ones not yet there.  Also checked
> > existing groups - nothing.  Only the netscape.xxx lot are there.
> >
> > Any idea when GigaNews will be updated to carry the new groups?
>
> The mozilla.* groups are not open via news.giganews.com. You need to use
> news.mozilla.org.

Bummer!! For years I've been using just the GigaNews access to the
netscape subgroups.  Now this means that I have to change servers just
to read one or two mozilla groups...??  Why not have them available on
GigaNews too?  Surely you want as many people as possible involved in
Usenet groups?  Having to change servers will put a lot of people off -
just another step and too much trouble....

Keep it simple and accessible.  Having it on a private separate server
is setting it apart.

I can get Opera newsgroups on Giga, for example...

--

NightStalker