A beginner's question, many thanks!

Jinghui Niu
I'm enthusiastic about Mozilla Firefox and have a keen passion to
learn it. However, I am just a beginner programmer.
Mozilla Firefox is written in C/C++, JavaScript, CSS, XUL, XBL. Does
this mean I will have to learn all of those programming languages and
standards before I could actually make any true development on Firefox
source code? I'm currently learning JavaScript and a little bit
uncertain about my direction. So experts please advise me about the
learning curve.
I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Re: A beginner's question, many thanks!

Alexander Surkov
Hi.

I'd say you should have basic understanding of C++ and web
technologies. The list of desired skills may vary depending on the
area you're going to hack on. Surely you shouldn't be expert and you
can learn as you go. If you feel passion to hack on accessibility then
feel free to email me and I will find good first bug for you. If you
have any question then welcome to #accessibility irc channel.

Thank you.
Alexander.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Jinghui Niu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm enthusiastic about Mozilla Firefox and have a keen passion to
> learn it. However, I am just a beginner programmer.
> Mozilla Firefox is written in C/C++, JavaScript, CSS, XUL, XBL. Does
> this mean I will have to learn all of those programming languages and
> standards before I could actually make any true development on Firefox
> source code? I'm currently learning JavaScript and a little bit
> uncertain about my direction. So experts please advise me about the
> learning curve.
> I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Re: A beginner's question, many thanks!

Jamal Mazrui-2
I think you need C or C++ knowledge to hack on Firefox core, but for
Firefox extensions, you can use JavaScript, which would be a much easier
way of adding or modifying Firefox functionality.

Jamal

On 7/20/2011 2:09 AM, Jinghui Niu wrote:

> I'm enthusiastic about Mozilla Firefox and have a keen passion to
> learn it. However, I am just a beginner programmer.
> Mozilla Firefox is written in C/C++, JavaScript, CSS, XUL, XBL. Does
> this mean I will have to learn all of those programming languages and
> standards before I could actually make any true development on Firefox
> source code? I'm currently learning JavaScript and a little bit
> uncertain about my direction. So experts please advise me about the
> learning curve.
> I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Re: A beginner's question, many thanks!

CaroleHOLDER26