64-bit Lightning

Guy Rish-3
When is a 64-bit Lighting build, to match the 64-bit Thunderbird build,
going to be made available?

Thanks.

Re: 64-bit Lightning

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
On 02/11/2010 06:42 PM, Guy Rish wrote:
> When is a 64-bit Lighting build, to match the 64-bit Thunderbird build,
> going to be made available?
>
> Thanks.

There is one if you're using Linux.

http://realeases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/realeases/1.0b1/contrib/linux-x64_64/

Re: 64-bit Lightning

defaria
On 02/11/2010 06:20 PM, Michael B. wrote:
On 02/11/2010 06:42 PM, Guy Rish wrote:
When is a 64-bit Lighting build, to match the 64-bit Thunderbird build, going to be made available?

Thanks.

There is one if you're using Linux.

http://realeases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/realeases/1.0b1/contrib/linux-x64_64/
Not even close. "realeases?!? Really? And not even once but twice - consistently! Tell me why did you bother to type in a URL rather than copy and paste one you were sure worked in your browser?

Here's a better URL: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/releases/1.0b1/contrib/linux-x86_64/lightning.xpi

And you are indeed keenly aware of the fact that by and large this will not work for most people but will instead complain:
Lightning could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Thunderbird build type (Linux_x86-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.
Which, of course, neglects to tell you who the author is but states the "Author is not verified", whoever he is. This happens probably because Thunderbird that most people have is 32bit - because Mozilla doesn't release a 64 bit version. But aside from that it works just wonderfully! :-(

Sometimes I just love the way that Linux zealots behave... I'm one of them!
--
Andrew DeFaria
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.

Re: 64-bit Lightning

David Ascher-3
  On 2/11/10 8:54 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

[..]

There's absolutely no call for sarcasm and an aggressive attitude when
someone tries to help someone else.  You could have pointed out the
correct URL and the caveats politely and helpfully, but you chose
another course of action.

Manners, please.

--david

Re: 64-bit Lightning

defaria
On 02/11/2010 09:00 PM, David Ascher wrote:
 On 2/11/10 8:54 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

[..]

There's absolutely no call for sarcasm and an aggressive attitude when someone tries to help someone else.  You could have pointed out the correct URL and the caveats politely and helpfully, but you chose another course of action.

Manners, please.
Everybody has the right to an opinion. You've stated yours. I respectfully and totally disagree. And I likewise have a right to my opinion. There is every call for sarcasm here in my book. I respectfully disagree that I need to conform with your silly idea of manners. Screw you! I remind you that Michael B. could have choose to be accurate but choose instead to be sloppy. That serves nobody. I could have simply railed against him for his error but choose instead to approach it in a comical style. Apparently that's not enough for you. To that I say, tough! Grow up and stop being a baby! IOW don't be blaming me for your (well Michael B's) error.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Only in America can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Re: 64-bit Lightning

Guy Rish-3
Well I certainly hadn't intended to spark things up.
Though I must confess a certain amount of frustration when the 64-bit
Lightning didn't just automagically appear as my 64-bit Firefox and
Thunderbird did.  Does this mean that that the 64-bit version isn't as
ready for release as the 32-bit version?
Andrew's sarcasm aside, is there something to the complaints that he
cites?  In re-reading his post it seems more like a problem that might
arise if an attempt was made to mix 32-bit and 64-bit (which I would
expect).

NOT to complain, but merely to inquire:

The website detects that I'm running 64-bit and directed me to the
64-bit Firefox and Thunderbird downloads, why not Lightning downloads -
or for any of the other plugins that have 32-bit/64-bit options?

I guess what I really want to know is: will there be an "official"
64-bit version of Lightning that will be detected for and distributed
through direct/obvious channels?
And if so, is it planned as part of the the final Lightning release or a
release that will trail afterward?

Thank you all for the prompt and direct answers that you have already
made.  And, as well, for any that you might continue to make.

rish

On 02/11/2010 11:00 PM, David Ascher wrote:

> On 2/11/10 8:54 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> There's absolutely no call for sarcasm and an aggressive attitude when
> someone tries to help someone else. You could have pointed out the
> correct URL and the caveats politely and helpfully, but you chose
> another course of action.
>
> Manners, please.
>
> --david

Re: 64-bit Lightning

Simon Paquet-2
Guy Rish wrote on 12. Feb 2010:

> Well I certainly hadn't intended to spark things up.
> Though I must confess a certain amount of frustration when the
> 64-bit Lightning didn't just automagically appear as my 64-bit
> Firefox and Thunderbird did.  Does this mean that that the 64-bit
> version isn't as ready for release as the 32-bit version?

Please direct all your frustration to your distribution vendor
(Fedora) and not to us. There are no official 64-bit Linux builds
from Mozilla Messaging and therefore the Lightning team does not
provide official 64-bit Linux builds as well.

Those builds you speak of come directly from your distribution
vendor (Fedora) and therefore he is responsible to supply you with
a 64-bit incarnation of Lightning as well.

> I guess what I really want to know is: will there be an "official"
> 64-bit version of Lightning that will be detected for and
> distributed through direct/obvious channels? And if so, is it
> planned as part of the the final Lightning release or a release
> that will trail afterward?

We will certainly think hard about providing Linux 64-bit builds
once Thunderbird starts to provide them officially, if we manage
to get a build machine to produce those builds.

We'd also need to convince the addons.mozilla.org folks to provide
us with a Linux 64-bit release target (until now you can only supply
"Linux" builds but not singular Linux 32-bit or Linux 64-bit builds).

Simon

--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Thunderbird l10n blog:       http://thunderbird-l10n.blogspot.com

Re: 64-bit Lightning

Guy Rish-3
On 02/12/2010 02:43 AM, Simon Paquet wrote:

> We will certainly think hard about providing Linux 64-bit builds
> once Thunderbird starts to provide them officially, if we manage
> to get a build machine to produce those builds.
>
> We'd also need to convince the addons.mozilla.org folks to provide
> us with a Linux 64-bit release target (until now you can only supply
> "Linux" builds but not singular Linux 32-bit or Linux 64-bit builds).

Thank you, Simon.

Where then can I add my name/voice/signature so that the appropriate
people are notified that: I, too, would like a Mozilla-distributed
version of all things Mozilla?

rish

Re: 64-bit Lightning

Stefan Sitter-2
Guy Rish wrote:
> When is a 64-bit Lighting build, to match the 64-bit Thunderbird
> build, going to be made available?

You question has been answered already but I'd like to mention the
following: If custom 64-bit builds are contributed they can be
downloaded from the corresponding section in the release notes.

For Thunderbird 3 use
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html#contributedbuilds>.

For Thunderbird 2 use
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning0.9.html#contributedbuilds>.

Stefan

Re: 64-bit Lightning

Guy Rish-3
On 02/12/2010 09:17 AM, Stefan Sitter wrote:

> Guy Rish wrote:
>> When is a 64-bit Lighting build, to match the 64-bit Thunderbird
>> build, going to be made available?
>
> You question has been answered already but I'd like to mention the
> following: If custom 64-bit builds are contributed they can be
> downloaded from the corresponding section in the release notes.
>
> For Thunderbird 3 use
> <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b1.html#contributedbuilds>.
>

> For Thunderbird 2 use
> <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning0.9.html#contributedbuilds>.