31ESR

Dave Yeo-3
Looks like Mozilla is considering continuing the ESR experiment with a
31ESR. At least they're asking for feedback from the corporate customers.
Dave

Re: 31ESR

Steve Wendt
On 7/2/2014 7:48 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Looks like Mozilla is considering continuing the ESR experiment with a
> 31ESR. At least they're asking for feedback from the corporate customers.

Is there some discussion about eliminating ESR?  Seems to me they would
get a ton of push-back on that.  I see that prior to February, there was
a possibility of 24ESR being the last one:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

Re: 31ESR

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 7/2/2014 7:48 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Looks like Mozilla is considering continuing the ESR experiment with a
>> 31ESR. At least they're asking for feedback from the corporate customers.
>
> Is there some discussion about eliminating ESR?  Seems to me they would
> get a ton of push-back on that.  I see that prior to February, there was
> a possibility of 24ESR being the last one:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

Mozilla seems to be still considering whether to do 31ESR though I'd be
surprised if not. One of the ESR maintainers is putting together a
proposal to keep it going as is and is canvasing for info from the
enterprise users who often do one download and deploy to many desktops
and also lock it down to various amounts including not pinging Mozilla
so Mozilla doesn't have much info on ESR usage. Strange that your link
seems to show that it has already been decided to continue the ESR releases
Dave

Re: 31ESR

Dave Yeo-3
On 07/02/14 11:16 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Steve Wendt wrote:
>> On 7/2/2014 7:48 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like Mozilla is considering continuing the ESR experiment with a
>>> 31ESR. At least they're asking for feedback from the corporate
>>> customers.
>>
>> Is there some discussion about eliminating ESR?  Seems to me they would
>> get a ton of push-back on that.  I see that prior to February, there was
>> a possibility of 24ESR being the last one:
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal
>
> Mozilla seems to be still considering whether to do 31ESR though I'd be
> surprised if not. One of the ESR maintainers is putting together a
> proposal to keep it going as is and is canvasing for info from the
> enterprise users who often do one download and deploy to many desktops
> and also lock it down to various amounts including not pinging Mozilla
> so Mozilla doesn't have much info on ESR usage. Strange that your link
> seems to show that it has already been decided to continue the ESR releases

This seems to be the official response posted by Lukas Blakk,
[hidden email]

[quote]
Hello,

When the ESR branch was initially created it was done so in a manner of
intentional impermanence,  the thinking being that consumers of this
channel would eventually establish a way to switch over onto our 6 week
rapid release mainline builds.  With last week’s ESR31 we are pushing
the limits of the original timeframe and it’s time to make a call on how
to proceed with this population of users with an intent of creating
permanence.

In its present state, a strong community has built up around this
channel and pacing of major version bumps.  The enterprise mailing list
is active but not high-volume. There are two community contributors who
took on the work of administrating the mailing list and they provide
support as well on how to customize deployments.  Since this
branch/channel was created with the intention of killing it off down the
road, we do not do any external marketing of the ESR.  The user base can
be generally distributed into three buckets: large organizations with
over 100K instances, 2-10K organizations, and then ones under 1K. There
are over 5500 members on the mailing list, and in order to get details
about use a query was sent to the list in order to collect information
on the value of continue providing this channel. About 80 responses were
received in 2 weeks.

Given:

* we have a strong, self-supporting community
* building and maintaining ESR has become a smooth process which uses
very few resources (one channel, minimal builds on checkins, single QA
sign off every 6 weeks)
* Chrome is now providing enterprise support
(http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/browser/)
* there are at least 2M users on this channel and we estimate there to
be more if we factor in Linux distributions

The approach going forward is to:

* continue providing ESR builds as a permanent channel dedicated to the
criteria we laid out in its creation
* plan a marketing push around the existence of ESR (update docs, revamp
the org web page, promote the channel externally)
* commit to iterating on the processes built around of this channel and
explore potential improvements to pacing, packaging, and other
customizations
* make a project of getting FHR/Telemetry data from these deployments
where permitted so that we have information on long-term usage that
could be missing from mainline

For that last point, many of the respondents to the questions I raised
on the list said they already could do, or would look into doing,
Telemetry/FHR reports if they had more visibility into what the data
collected was and also some expressed interest in having access to that
collected data.  Data from long term support build users might unlock
stability and security information that we do not currently discover in
our rapid releases.

There is value to this channel both in loyalty of users, reaching people
at work where they likely spend more of their online time, and
maintaining a share of desktop browser usage.  Let’s take this already
strong community, and look at how we can grow it for the benefit of the
users and our products.

Cheers,
Lukas

[/quote]
Dave

Re: 31ESR

Steve Wendt
On 8/1/2014 12:04 AM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> * continue providing ESR builds as a permanent channel dedicated to the
> criteria we laid out in its creation

Sounds like good news.

Re: 31ESR

Alex Taylor
On Fri, 1 Aug 2014 17:44:48 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > * continue providing ESR builds as a permanent channel dedicated to the
> > criteria we laid out in its creation
>
> Sounds like good news.

Wow, looks like somebody at Mozilla actually had an unexpected attack of
sanity...

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.

Re: 31ESR

Dave Yeo-3
Alex Taylor wrote:

>> >Sounds like good news.
> Wow, looks like somebody at Mozilla actually had an unexpected attack of
> sanity...

Well at the rate users are abounding Firefox (27% market share I
believe) they need all the users they can get.
Really the problem is that for some reason they're trying to be Chrome
and not doing as good as a job. Stupid rapid release cycle whether it's
time for a major release or not and continuous dumbing down the interface.
Dave