2005-10-24 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

2005-10-24 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Gervase Markham
2005-10-24 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Present: mconnor, hecker, dria, dmose, bsmedberg, bienvenu, coop,
justdave, gerv, polvi, dveditz, john lilly, chofmann, paul kim, jesse,
shaver, schrep, aravind, asa, jay, pav, jim cook, davel, mitchell, josh,
karen, mscott, chase, myk, vlad, tim riley, brendan, blake, jst, marcia,
rafael.

*People*

- Paul is new Director of Marketing, just in time for 1.5
- Use to work at Adobe, but has development experience
- Working with rafael

- Dave (davel) just joined as a QA Architect, 16 years experience
- Most recently worked at Yahoo
- Thrown in at the deep end with Software Update testing

- Tim Riley is new Director of QA
- 12-14 years experience
- Worked on JDK 1.2

- Need to stop hiring Mikes and Daves

*Firefox 1.5*

- Lockdown for 1.5rc1 was last night
- Not quite there on all the bugs yet
- Also some issues with Software Update which need fixing
- Respins either tonight or tomorrow which we hope will be the RC builds

*Roadmap*

- shaver, brendan and others have been brainstorming
- shaver and brendan have been working on the back-end roadmap (3 pages)
   - wiki.mozilla.org Gecko 1.9 planning
   - wiki.mozilla.org RoadmapSketch (under heavy change)
   - Public goal of having the technology side of the roadmap ready by
     end of week (in draft form)
- cbeard has been looking at the roadmap from the product side
   - Has already been sent to drivers

*Timely Reviews*

- Problems with really ancient requests
- There are patches from 2004 and even 2003 which haven't been reviewed
- bz has good suggestions on his blog for what to do about it
   http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/bz/archives/009131.html
- Define the problem:
   - First need to clean up the queue by removing requests for obsolete
     patches
   - There are general pending requests with no target; need targetting
   - ~8 people who are seriously overloaded
   - If we lose contributors due to lack of review, we lose potential
     reviewers
- People to be responsive even if they aren't actually doing the reviews
- Dan to write a spec of information required, and we'll post it
- Hopefully we can then find someone to examine the data

*OSU*

- 100,000,000 download celebration by launching a weather balloon
- Up to 100,000 feet and then exploded; they are still looking for it
- If they find it, we'll have photos of the upper atmosphere
- It would have had a tracker on it, but it was broken
- So we need geeks to go out and find it!

- They also had an addons review-fest with 20 people
- The review queue went from 157 -> 71
- The moderated comments went from 350 -> 92
- The pizzas went from 10 -> 0
- Photos are on the LUG website - http://lug.oregonstate.edu/

Gerv

Re: 2005-10-24 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Matt Nordhoff
On 10/28/05 10:04, Gervase Markham wrote:
> - It would have had a tracker on it, but it was broken

Ahh! 'Cause when I read that there wasn't a GPS device on it or
anything, I thought that was kind of a dumb mistake. But the one they
would use was broken. Okay, then.
--
Replace the point in my email address with a period to reply. ;-)