2 questions

poster-2
1. Can Thunderbird display a status window while getting/sending e-mail,
like OE?

2. Can Thunderbird handle and display newsgroups descriptions, again, like
OE...?

Thanks a lot

Re: 2 questions

Ace-2
poster wrote:
> 1. Can Thunderbird display a status window while getting/sending e-mail,
> like OE?
>
> 2. Can Thunderbird handle and display newsgroups descriptions, again, like
> OE...?
>
> Thanks a lot

1. Haven't seen it
2. In about:config (for TB) choose mail.server.default.abbreviate & set
it to false

Re: 2 questions

Leonidas Jones
Ace wrote:

> poster wrote:
>> 1. Can Thunderbird display a status window while getting/sending
>> e-mail, like OE?
>>
>> 2. Can Thunderbird handle and display newsgroups descriptions, again,
>> like OE...?
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>
> 1. Haven't seen it
> 2. In about:config (for TB) choose mail.server.default.abbreviate & set
> it to false

Just to elaborate on Ace's excellent reply, note that About Config is an
extension, though the functionality will be built in for the 1.5 release.

http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/

As far as a status window, no, not that I know of, but there is a status
bar at the bottom of the main window. Its been years since I actually
used OE, so I have no memory of its behavior.

Lee

Re: 2 questions

Mike Dee
Leonidas Jones <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:dk3ph9$[hidden email]:

> Just to elaborate on Ace's excellent reply, note that About Config
> is an extension, though the functionality will be built in for the
> 1.5 release.
>
> http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/

Without about:config you can paste the following into the "user.js"
file to get full newsgroup names:

/* Don't abbreviate newsgroup names */
user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);

> As far as a status window, no, not that I know of, but there is a
> status bar at the bottom of the main window. Its been years since
> I actually used OE, so I have no memory of its behavior.

Ditto :)

--
dee

Re: 2 questions

Leonidas Jones
Mike Dee wrote:

> Leonidas Jones <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:dk3ph9$[hidden email]:
>
>> Just to elaborate on Ace's excellent reply, note that About Config
>> is an extension, though the functionality will be built in for the
>> 1.5 release.
>>
>> http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/
>
> Without about:config you can paste the following into the "user.js"
> file to get full newsgroup names:
>
> /* Don't abbreviate newsgroup names */
> user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);
>
>> As far as a status window, no, not that I know of, but there is a
>> status bar at the bottom of the main window. Its been years since
>> I actually used OE, so I have no memory of its behavior.
>
> Ditto :)

Well then. of course we need to note that user.js is a user created
file.  That is, it does not exist in your profile, you have to create it.

Since about:config came into being, I have never bothered with user.js,
though it does still work, and Mike is correct to point it out, if you
don't ant to istall another extension.

For what its worth, about:config functionality wil be bilt into 1.5.

Lee

Re: 2 questions

Mike Dee
Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Mike Dee wrote:

>> Without about:config you can paste the following into the "user.js"
>> file to get full newsgroup names:
>>
>> /* Don't abbreviate newsgroup names */
>> user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);

> Well then. of course we need to note that user.js is a user created
> file.  That is, it does not exist in your profile, you have to create it.

Yes, but its not too difficult to open Notepad, copy and paste in the
above "user_pref" and save it as "user.js" in the appropriate location
either. In a way, it's easier than installing, then evoking about:config
and getting to grips with that.

> Since about:config came into being, I have never bothered with user.js,
> though it does still work, and Mike is correct to point it out, if you
> don't ant to istall another extension.

I too have about:config installed, just letting the OP know that moz or
t-bird are versitile programs and that often, there's more than one way
to achieve the same goal.

> For what its worth, about:config functionality wil be bilt into 1.5.

Fine by me.

--
dee

Re: 2 questions

poster-2
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't referring to the abbreviated newsgroups in
the main Thunderbird screen (left pane) but rather when you're searching/
first downloading newsgroups, OE in some newsgroups, apart from the title,
also displays a description of it, for example "General computing
discussion"

Re: 2 questions

Leonidas Jones
Mike Dee wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Mike Dee wrote:
>
>>> Without about:config you can paste the following into the "user.js"
>>> file to get full newsgroup names:
>>>
>>> /* Don't abbreviate newsgroup names */
>>> user_pref("mail.server.default.abbreviate", false);
>
>> Well then. of course we need to note that user.js is a user created
>> file.  That is, it does not exist in your profile, you have to create it.
>
> Yes, but its not too difficult to open Notepad, copy and paste in the
> above "user_pref" and save it as "user.js" in the appropriate location
> either. In a way, it's easier than installing, then evoking about:config
> and getting to grips with that.
>
>> Since about:config came into being, I have never bothered with user.js,
>> though it does still work, and Mike is correct to point it out, if you
>> don't ant to istall another extension.
>
> I too have about:config installed, just letting the OP know that moz or
> t-bird are versitile programs and that often, there's more than one way
> to achieve the same goal.
>
>> For what its worth, about:config functionality wil be bilt into 1.5.
>
> Fine by me.

Oh, I didn't mean to say it was hard to create a user.js, I just field a
lot of questions from people who ask why it isn't there, when they see a
direction to use it.

Lee