2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Lewis Rosenthal
Greetings, everyone.

First, kudos to everyone who has worked so hard to get Suiterunner
happening in SM and on our favorite platform. I just moved up to
2.0a1pre this afternoon (not that I didn't have other things to do, and
I'll pay for this lapse in judgment later this week, no doubt), and
while it does seem to be stable and quick, I have had a real time of it
getting my menu fonts properly sized.

I had to tweak userChrome.css to get me to 9pt fonts on the menu, and
default font size to 10pt. However, I can't for the life of me recall
how I can re-size the vertical spacing of menu items, which are now
practically on top of one another.

In addition, while my preferences are set for a minimum 13pt font (and
other 13pt fonts), my I-beam is almost non-existent while typing this
message, and when reading messages, I find some lines clipped top and
bottom, and emoticons clipped as well.

In Google, the search box was really narrow, so I tweaked that in
userContent to 50ex, but it's still not wide enough...

Finally, status bar text is clipped top and bottom.

Could some kind soul(s) share with me their adjustments, before I have
to make another appointment at the ophthalmologist? ;-)

TIA

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE

Re: 2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Felix Miata-2
On 2007/06/24 18:24 (GMT-0400) Lewis Rosenthal apparently typed:

> I had to tweak userChrome.css to get ...

Might help a lot if we knew exactly what you put into those files.
--
"Respect everyone." I Peter 2:17 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Re: 2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Andy Willis-2
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Greetings, everyone.
>
> First, kudos to everyone who has worked so hard to get Suiterunner
> happening in SM and on our favorite platform. I just moved up to
> 2.0a1pre this afternoon (not that I didn't have other things to do, and
> I'll pay for this lapse in judgment later this week, no doubt), and
> while it does seem to be stable and quick, I have had a real time of it
> getting my menu fonts properly sized.
>
> I had to tweak userChrome.css to get me to 9pt fonts on the menu, and
> default font size to 10pt. However, I can't for the life of me recall
> how I can re-size the vertical spacing of menu items, which are now
> practically on top of one another.
>
> In addition, while my preferences are set for a minimum 13pt font (and
> other 13pt fonts), my I-beam is almost non-existent while typing this
> message, and when reading messages, I find some lines clipped top and
> bottom, and emoticons clipped as well.
>
> In Google, the search box was really narrow, so I tweaked that in
> userContent to 50ex, but it's still not wide enough...
>
> Finally, status bar text is clipped top and bottom.
>
> Could some kind soul(s) share with me their adjustments, before I have
> to make another appointment at the ophthalmologist? ;-)
>
> TIA

Peter just checked in a patch that should take care of all of those  I
think for you with builds after today.
Andy

On 06/24/07 10:56 pm, Andy Willis thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>> Greetings, everyone.
>>
>> First, kudos to everyone who has worked so hard to get Suiterunner
>> happening in SM and on our favorite platform. I just moved up to
>> 2.0a1pre this afternoon (not that I didn't have other things to do,
>> and I'll pay for this lapse in judgment later this week, no doubt),
>> and while it does seem to be stable and quick, I have had a real time
>> of it getting my menu fonts properly sized.
>>
>> I had to tweak userChrome.css to get me to 9pt fonts on the menu, and
>> default font size to 10pt. However, I can't for the life of me recall
>> how I can re-size the vertical spacing of menu items, which are now
>> practically on top of one another.
>>
>> In addition, while my preferences are set for a minimum 13pt font (and
>> other 13pt fonts), my I-beam is almost non-existent while typing this
>> message, and when reading messages, I find some lines clipped top and
>> bottom, and emoticons clipped as well.
>>
>> In Google, the search box was really narrow, so I tweaked that in
>> userContent to 50ex, but it's still not wide enough...
>>
>> Finally, status bar text is clipped top and bottom.
>>
>> Could some kind soul(s) share with me their adjustments, before I have
>> to make another appointment at the ophthalmologist? ;-)
>>
>> TIA
>>
> Peter just checked in a patch that should take care of all of those  I
> think for you with builds after today.
> Andy

Thanks, Andy.

Felix, considering that the problem existed before I even created the
files, I didn't think it particularly relevant to list the hacks, but
for completeness (and since you mention it ;-) ) here goes:

userChrome.css (just mods, for brevity):

/*
  * Make all the default font sizes 10 pt:
  */
* {
    font-size: 10pt !important
  }
/*
  * Make menu items in particular 9 pt instead of the default size:
  */
menupopup > * {
    font-size: 9pt !important
  }

/* change font size of menu items */
menubar > menu * {
   font-size: 9pt !important;
}

userContent.css (this was migrated from my earlier profile):

/* Quote Levels Colors */
        blockquote[type=cite] {
           color: navy !important; background-color: RGB(245,245,245) !important;
        }
        blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
           color: maroon !important; background-color: RGB(235,235,235) !important;
        }
        blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
           color: green !important; background-color: RGB(225,225,225) !important;
        }
        blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
           color: purple !important; background-color: RGB(215,215,215) !important;
        }
        blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
           color: teal !important; background-color: RGB(205,205,205) !important;
        }
/* Example of @-moz-document tag */
@-moz-document url(http://www.w3.org/),
                url-prefix(http://www.w3.org/Style/),
                domain(mozilla.org)
{
   /* CSS rules here apply to:
      + The page "http://www.w3.org/".
      + Any page whose URL begins with "http://www.w3.org/Style/"
      + Any page whose URL's host is "mozilla.org" or ends with
        ".mozilla.org"
    */
}
/* Hack to make Amex pages readable in SeaMonkey */
/*
@-moz-document domain(americanexpress.com)
{
.cdd0_main_menu,.cdd0_main_items,.cdd0_main_items_rollover,.opera0_main_items_rollover,.cdd0_sub_menu,
.cdd1_main_menu,.cdd1_main_items,.cdd1_main_items_rollover,
.opera1_main_items_rollover,.cdd1_sub_menu,
.cdd2_main_menu,.cdd3_main_menu,.cdd4_main_items_rollover { height:auto
!important; }
}
*/
/*
  * Increase the size of text input boxes to a width of 100
  * characters, and a miniumum height of about 12 characters.
  */
textarea {
   min-width: 100ex !important;
   min-height: 12em !important;
}

I'll be interested to try one of the post-June 20 builds for comparison.

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users Int'l       www.novell.com/openenterpriseserver
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

Re: 2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Ralph Haase
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> userChrome.css (just mods, for brevity):
>
> /*
>   * Make all the default font sizes 10 pt:
>   */
> * {
>     font-size: 10pt !important  }
                               ^^^^

> /*
>   * Make menu items in particular 9 pt instead of the default size:
>   */
> menupopup > * {
>     font-size: 9pt !important  }
                              ^^^^

On the fast one: Are this C&P-Errors? There a semicolon is missing.
        { font-size: 10pt !important; }

Are there entries in the Javascript-console (Tools/Webdevelopment)?

                                                R.Haase

--
Answers in Newsgroups only to: Ralph_Haase @ Web.de (without blanks).
Mails to the FROM- Address become not read.

Re: 2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Peter Weilbacher
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> while it does seem to be stable and quick

Hmm, wouldn't really use those words to describe the state of trunk at
the moment. Slow and flickery is more like it... Stable, maybe that's
because plugins are busted and Flash is causing most of the instability
reported in this group. ;-)
--
Please                      Enhanced OS/2 builds of Mozilla applications
reply in                                    http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> while it does seem to be stable and quick
>
> Hmm, wouldn't really use those words to describe the state of trunk at
> the moment. Slow and flickery is more like it... Stable, maybe that's
> because plugins are busted and Flash is causing most of the instability
> reported in this group. ;-)
Flash is the only plugin that is working for me in in my builds.
Andy

Andy Willis wrote:

> Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>>
>>> while it does seem to be stable and quick
>>
>> Hmm, wouldn't really use those words to describe the state of trunk at
>> the moment. Slow and flickery is more like it... Stable, maybe that's
>> because plugins are busted and Flash is causing most of the instability
>> reported in this group. ;-)
> Flash is the only plugin that is working for me in in my builds.
> Andy

Hmm, the other day Flash would work from dslreports speed test but
Java wouldn't.  Now Java and Flash are both working with the build
from last night.
Andy

Andy Willis wrote:

> Hmm, the other day Flash would work from dslreports speed test but
> Java wouldn't.  Now Java and Flash are both working with the build
> from last night.

How can that be? I remember that I switched off the plugin frame for
Thebes-based builds. In fact I filed bug 369791 on that.
And many of the symbols that ipluginw contains are no longer there, so
everything that needs that should not function anyway?!

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> Andy Willis wrote:
>
>> Hmm, the other day Flash would work from dslreports speed test but
>> Java wouldn't.  Now Java and Flash are both working with the build
>> from last night.
>
> How can that be? I remember that I switched off the plugin frame for
> Thebes-based builds. In fact I filed bug 369791 on that.
> And many of the symbols that ipluginw contains are no longer there, so
> everything that needs that should not function anyway?!
How I don't know... I just just tried :)
Andy

Re: 2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Dave Yeo-3
Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> Andy Willis wrote:
>
>> Hmm, the other day Flash would work from dslreports speed test but
>> Java wouldn't.  Now Java and Flash are both working with the build
>> from last night.
>
> How can that be? I remember that I switched off the plugin frame for
> Thebes-based builds. In fact I filed bug 369791 on that.
> And many of the symbols that ipluginw contains are no longer there, so
> everything that needs that should not function anyway?!

Java is also working here but not Flash. Also Java works without
ipluginw, can't remember if it was needed for Java or just Flash
(latest Innotek Java)
Dave

Re: 2.0a1pre fonts, menu spacing, userChrome, and userContent

Steve Wendt
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Java is also working here but not Flash. Also Java works without
> ipluginw, can't remember if it was needed for Java or just Flash

It was definitely needed for Java.  Flash works without it (supposedly
some scripting features need ipluginw, but those don't seem to work with
the Odin wrapper version of Flash anyway).

Steve Wendt wrote:
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Java is also working here but not Flash. Also Java works without
>> ipluginw, can't remember if it was needed for Java or just Flash
>
> It was definitely needed for Java.  Flash works without it (supposedly
> some scripting features need ipluginw, but those don't seem to work with
> the Odin wrapper version of Flash anyway).

Well Java is working here without ipluginw.dll. Just did a few tests
with a fresh boot and no other browsers running and no ipluginw
installed into the Firefox directory. Created a new profile and a lot of
other problems cleared up including now Flash is also working.
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Steve Wendt wrote:
>> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>>> Java is also working here but not Flash. Also Java works without
>>> ipluginw, can't remember if it was needed for Java or just Flash
>>
>> It was definitely needed for Java.  Flash works without it (supposedly
>> some scripting features need ipluginw, but those don't seem to work
>> with the Odin wrapper version of Flash anyway).
>
> Well Java is working here without ipluginw.dll. Just did a few tests
> with a fresh boot and no other browsers running and no ipluginw
> installed into the Firefox directory. Created a new profile and a lot of
> other problems cleared up including now Flash is also working.
> Dave
I just tried it here, though it may not be a fully fair test as I
never shut down Seamonkey, by renaming ipluginw.dll and then trying to
load http://www.javatester.org/version.html and it said Java was
disabled.  I then renamed it back and hit reload and it then came back
and said I was using 1.4.2_09.
Andy

Andy Willis wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Steve Wendt wrote:

>>> It was definitely needed for Java.  Flash works without it
>>> (supposedly some scripting features need ipluginw, but those don't
>>> seem to work with the Odin wrapper version of Flash anyway).
>>
>> Well Java is working here without ipluginw.dll. Just did a few tests
>> with a fresh boot and no other browsers running and no ipluginw
>> installed into the Firefox directory. Created a new profile and a lot
>> of other problems cleared up including now Flash is also working.
>> Dave
> I just tried it here, though it may not be a fully fair test as I never
> shut down Seamonkey, by renaming ipluginw.dll and then trying to load
> http://www.javatester.org/version.html and it said Java was disabled.  I
> then renamed it back and hit reload and it then came back and said I was
> using 1.4.2_09.
> Andy

Yea, I just realized I was running the wrong version of Firefox so take
back what I said earlier about plugins working. Serves me right playing
after work when tired.
Dave