1.5.0.1 and other no-l10n-impact releases and sign-offs

1.5.0.1 and other no-l10n-impact releases and sign-offs

Axel Hecht
Hi all,

there has been a general consensus that the sign-off process we were
following on the 1.0.x branch was a bit wasteful and time-intensive.

I was internally proposing something more streamlined for releases
without l10n impact, and that is, that we drop the sign-off requirement
for those releases and just go for a QA commitment. This includes that
l10n-teams and their communities feel invited to the regular Firefox QA
testing days (next one will be tomorrow).

I want to ping you on this, and though this is on short notice, I guess
we'll go for it, unless you raise principal concerns.

This does not govern locales that would take changes for a minor
release, though we didn't manage to do that for the 1.5.0.1 release.
l10n just branched, and we're in RC phase, so I don't think it would be
a good idea to do that now. Which is sad, but true. I'm afraid that
branching for 1.8.0 did suffer from the jet lag that we took in the 1.5
release of Firefox still, and I'm still not really out of it yet.

I still need to poke folks for feedback on how the l10n impact of
branching ifdefs on trunk vs 1.8.1 work, I did that twice up to now, to
no avail.

Axel

Re: 1.5.0.1 and other no-l10n-impact releases and sign-offs

Axel Hecht
Doing a fake reply to expose this in the new group.

Axel

Axel Hecht wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there has been a general consensus that the sign-off process we were
> following on the 1.0.x branch was a bit wasteful and time-intensive.
>
> I was internally proposing something more streamlined for releases
> without l10n impact, and that is, that we drop the sign-off requirement
> for those releases and just go for a QA commitment. This includes that
> l10n-teams and their communities feel invited to the regular Firefox QA
> testing days (next one will be tomorrow).
>
> I want to ping you on this, and though this is on short notice, I guess
> we'll go for it, unless you raise principal concerns.
>
> This does not govern locales that would take changes for a minor
> release, though we didn't manage to do that for the 1.5.0.1 release.
> l10n just branched, and we're in RC phase, so I don't think it would be
> a good idea to do that now. Which is sad, but true. I'm afraid that
> branching for 1.8.0 did suffer from the jet lag that we took in the 1.5
> release of Firefox still, and I'm still not really out of it yet.
>
> I still need to poke folks for feedback on how the l10n impact of
> branching ifdefs on trunk vs 1.8.1 work, I did that twice up to now, to
> no avail.
>
> Axel

Re: 1.5.0.1 and other no-l10n-impact releases and sign-offs

Axel Hecht
Hi,
as there is no negative feedback on this, we're going to streamline our
process for the minor update releases significantly and won't block on that.

I encourage all owners, peers, and interested users of localizations to
heavily participate on QA testing days to get the best testing possible
on all of our builds so that we don't end up regretting this.

Axel

RE: 1.5.0.1 and other no-l10n-impact releases and sign-offs

BID Wen ShaoHua
Hi Axel
  I checked the tinderbox for Mozilla1.8-l10n-zh-CN and found there are some string changes but for Mozilla1.8.0-l10n-zh-CN no change.
  Will Mozilla1.8-l10n-zh-CN be used for any  release ? Or just Mozilla1.8.0-l10n-zh-CN is used for next 1.5.0.x releases?

Best Regards,
Holy

BID Wen ShaoHua wrote:
> Hi Axel I checked the tinderbox for Mozilla1.8-l10n-zh-CN and found
> there are some string changes but for Mozilla1.8.0-l10n-zh-CN no
> change. Will Mozilla1.8-l10n-zh-CN be used for any  release ? Or just
>  Mozilla1.8.0-l10n-zh-CN is used for next 1.5.0.x releases?

The 1.5.0.x releases are created on the MOZILLA_1_8_0_BRANCH, the
MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH is set up for the Firefox 2 development.
The branches are the same for the /cvsroot and /l10n repository, just
that the l10n one isn't open just yet.

Axel